MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 06 November 2007, 19:42
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
Anyone have a MechMate controller fully documented?

Been kind of lurking but also scouring the mechmate forums in home to find some kind of a build log for us electronically challenged people. The mechanics are rather easy and with only a little bit of electronics work I find myself at a standstill with the controller. I've built controllers with the xylotex and hobbycnc setup but I'm looking for a more professional setup with geckos and was impressed by the original build logs on the mechmate forum as gerald has shown many photos. I'm looking to build the controller for a steppers and on a regular 110/220 residential power setup, as apposed to the three phase (correct me if I'm wrong) that gerald shows. Anyone here know of any good documented builds of a controller from start to finish, with photos pref? Have I missed any really good threads? Thanks!
Old Tue 06 November 2007, 21:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
There is nothing special about the controller for the MechMate - any "Mach/4-stepper motor/single phase" control box will work for you. Look at more places than just this forum.

My concern is that the "electronically challenged" people shouldn't be building these potentially lethal devices from a script.

A "110/220 residential power setup" doesn't have to look much different to the 3-phase setup that I did.
Old Tue 06 November 2007, 22:10
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Brian,
I emphasize with caution - follow my thread - and you will see my set up for 110/220 set up for US residential use. My box will work fine as a 110 or 220 input. If you choose to go 110, then you will have to derate the output of the dust collection relay contactor and bond it to the same leg as the "clean" control side. I have to chosen to go 220 to get the most Amperage from a single line source as possible and keep dirty and clean power separate on the control side of the box. This will make more sense if you look at the schematics Gerald has in the General layout draft2.pdf up on the site. If this is "over your head", don't be alarmed - it just means you need to read a little more here in the MM forum until it clicks. The information is here, you just need to look for it! It's like a good book, some chapters are better than others ;_)
Old Wed 07 November 2007, 03:33
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Thanks for the advice and help. I'm by no means a newbie to cnc, and not exactly challenged in doing the wiring and assembly, it's just more so choosing the components and the right way to wire them together. I will read up a bit more on the threads here. Any other advice is quite welcome.
Old Wed 07 November 2007, 03:51
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Smreish, nice thread and a very nice controller. I saw you posted a schematic but it isn't in full scale so I can't see the detail/txt? Also have you any more photos of it? thanks!
Old Wed 07 November 2007, 04:18
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Brian,
No full scale - yet. I haven't energized the cabinet yet. I don't want to publish something that isn't fully tested. That's why I put up a "small" sample. I should have all the bugs and wiring tested out by Thanksgiving weekend.
Old Wed 07 November 2007, 04:30
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Hi Brian

Have a look at my thread - Although I am building for 380V, it may help give you some insight.

Alan
Old Wed 07 November 2007, 17:27
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Alan,

I've read your thread before and your test panel/controller setup is really slick. Your wiring job is very neat and organized as well. Thanks for the info.
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 14:09
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
anyone else document theirs? Also where are most of you getting your cases from similar to geralds? The dust proof metal ones? Thanks!
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 16:12
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Brian,

I bought a case from a local electrical equipment supplier. I just told him that I wanted a NEMA 4/12 enclosure with a full hinge and back plate. I think it was around $285. Factorymation.com has some for around the same price once you add shipping.
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 17:00
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Doug, what brand, size and model # did you buy?
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 17:27
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I purchased my Nema 4/12 box from AD Products in clev Ohio. Great price and cheaper than factorymation and automationdirect. They dropped shipped my enclosure in about a week from order date.
visit their website for the size price and cost.
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 20:15
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Nils,

I don't remember and I have painted over the label inside the box. I would look at the receipt but I can't find it. Sorry. I remember that it was a "big name" company but I can't recall which one.
Old Sat 29 December 2007, 23:06
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
thanks for the info, any more would be appreciated
Old Sun 30 December 2007, 06:11
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The most common names for enclosures is Hoffman, wegman, Saginaw to name a few.
Old Sun 30 December 2007, 17:17
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Nils,

I found the paperwork on my enclosure. It is a Hoffman.
Old Sun 30 December 2007, 18:38
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Thanks Doug for looking it up.
Old Mon 31 December 2007, 03:23
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Doug, others thanks, looks to be quite a few of these nema enclosures on ebay. What is the general overall size of your cases? Looks to be atleast 6" deep and 20" wide?
Old Mon 31 December 2007, 06:19
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Brian,

24" (h) X 8" (d) X 16" (w)
Old Mon 31 December 2007, 17:52
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
thanks for the info Doug and your lengthy pm, I will still use your photos as reference and appreciate the reply. I see there is a liking here towards the pmdx board with the gecko controllers here. I was initially going towards the cnc4pc breakoutboards, c11g or c1g but now im attracted to the pmdx.
Old Thu 03 January 2008, 20:37
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Hey quick offtopic question, those using geckodrives (most of you) what kind of current set resistor are you using with them?
Old Thu 03 January 2008, 20:59
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Brian,

It depends on which Gecko your using (g101, g202, g203, etc) . The Gecko documentation explains it well. Its also discussed under the control systems category under drivers (I think).
Old Thu 03 January 2008, 21:02
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Brain,

It under Electrical & Electronic / Motor Drives / Geckodrives on this forum.
Old Fri 04 January 2008, 03:43
cncb

Connecticut
United States of America
Thanks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read