MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 30 May 2006, 12:58
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Bob CampBell's control box components and full box solution

Bob Campbell of www.campbelldesigns.com has been working on a ShopBot project for a long time. I believe that the Ascension is largely based on his work.
Old Mon 16 October 2006, 10:20
Gerald_D
Just call me:

There has been some news at Campbell Designs. Have another look at the website and this page.

It is a practical option to use the "Campbell Box" for the MechMate. The dust-proofing, for industrial CNC router application, will be a bit problematic since it "breathes" shop air. If the box does get dusty inside, the front & back covers need to come off for cleaning. This need for access from both sides will prevent permanent wall-mounting.
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 20:58
Robert Masson
Just call me:

Hi Gerald, All !

As you know Gerald I?m getting back in the saddle after ?swimming around? for too long with other DIY design.
In order to prep my self to make my own MechMate, I?m too been on the reading spree to find out all updates on component breakdown to make my list of components to buy / needed.

Wile on this controller subject, I?m wondering why is it I?ve yet to read some suggestion ( if any ?) on using the Campbell Breakout Boards. I did read Gerald recommending, with some reserve on some dust concern, Campbell complete controller box on this thread.
But how about your opinion on Campbell Breakout Board VS PMDX your using / recommending ?
How about CNC4PC breakout boards wile were at it ??

Thanks to clarify this for me and surly for some others too !!??

Later,
Robert
Old Wed 25 April 2007, 21:25
Mike Richards
Just call me:

Robert,
Make sure that you check with Bob Campbell to see if his new design is on the market, the one that works with the Gecko G203. As you know, the G203 uses a common GROUND connection rather than a common 5VDC connection. That requires that the signals also be inverted. On the CNCZone forum, some users were not able to use his breakout board with the G203. Bob announced that he had a new board in the works.

The PMDX-122 works with the G202, G203 and G320 drivers that I have.
Old Thu 26 April 2007, 04:42
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Robert, I know that Geckodrives only recommend:
- PMDX
- Campbell
- CNC4PC
and I am sure they are all good. But they are not all the same - there are differences on power supply, "charge pumps", onboard relays, indicators, options, etc., etc. I recommend the PMDX simply because I know it, the designer is helpful, and I can give a little support on it.

The Campbell boards were designed by Jim Cullins who has now teamed up with Tom Caudle and they call themselves www.candcnc.com. I am sure that Geckodrives will add a fourth recommendation to their list soon.
Old Sun 15 July 2007, 18:37
Art
Just call me: Art #2

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
new board coming

Within the next 2 or 3 months a new board should be anounced. It will use a USB instead of printer cables to connect to the PC. Designed for use with Mach. It is a full 2 port board with all the Mach inputs and outputs including all 6 axis standard. Data transfer rate will go up, some functions will be off loaded from the PC to the board and other bells and whistles.
Old Sun 15 July 2007, 22:46
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
It would appear that USB ports are not plain sailing yet. Some people (ncPod and ShopBot) are experiencing systems that simply stop in the middle of nowhere - the parallel ported systems are proved to be solid.

I won't be surprised if the Campbell board is the ncPod.
Old Sat 18 August 2007, 18:38
Tom Caudle
Just call me: Tom

Texas
United States of America
We (CandCNC) have been watching the whole "dump the parallel port" trend intently. We have the experience and capability to design a USB based interface but It is currently my option that USB has too many short comings to be a lasting solution for machine control. We are starting work on Ethernet based products that use a technology that is robust and well proven in both industrial and small shop environments. With the advent of lower cost processor chips with embedded Ethernet the decision was made easier.

One of the main "features" of the new generation of IO controllers (Gecko G100 and NCPod) was the promise of faster step rates (over the 45K in MACH) and smooth high speed machining. Then Art announces that MACH will now do 100,000 step rates per axis and part of the glitter fell off a $120 to $400 solution.

Yes, I know the parallel port is on its way out but replacing a free solution with a multi-hundred dollar solution should bring benefits proportional to the cost!

I am aware of the card Art is talking about and it has promise, but the data transfer rates won't be faster than the parallel port. I still needs the isolation and buffering that you get with the current BOB's so it basically replaces the parallel port(s).

tomCAUDLE

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read