MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 02 October 2009, 03:56
Marinus
Just call me: Marinus

Pretoria
South Africa
New Things - Pretoria, South Africa

Hi to all, I am Marinus

Little about Myself, I am an electronic engineer, did work in construction and recently worked in a wooden door manufacturing companny.

I like desgning new things and taking on challanges that customers provide,
I saw the need for a cnc with clients coming up with special demands.

After some time in the woodwork factory, with little special tools and a struggle to do the special demands, I urged the owner to let me help him build a cnc, he did not listen al all. So now I will build it and use it.

This is my story and I look forward in this project.
Old Fri 02 October 2009, 07:13
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Marinus,

Welcome to the Forum. Happy building!
Old Fri 02 October 2009, 09:13
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Welcome aboard, I think your story will soon include a MechMate. May your posts be plentiful and full of pictures
Old Fri 02 October 2009, 09:35
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Welkom
Old Fri 02 October 2009, 12:02
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Marinus!
Do you by chance have a beard, a motorbike and/or a pool?
Old Fri 02 October 2009, 13:27
kooskoek
Just call me: Dave

Centurion
South Africa
Welcome and good luck
Old Sun 04 October 2009, 14:38
michel colonade
Just call me: michel

jerusalem
Israel
good luck from jerusalem, i am new too, and i found here a very good help, nice people
michel
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 11:03
iclazion
Just call me: Leonard

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi there.

I can’t seem to stay away from mechmate. I have been searching the net over and over for information on building a CNC router, however I always seem to end up on this forum. I have read loads of articles, saved all the images for ideas, pondered , cost, size, power, gear ratio, controller box and much more. So without any further ado, I feel I have to ask the people who have or who are well on their way for advice, because I am struggling with a few issues that most of you have heard before.

The size that I have settled on will be 3m x 1,7m. (This is where I will be starting) building the table out of iron/metal.
A few questions on my mind though:
- What would I need to adjust or to modify to be able to cut/router aluminium on the mechmate? Does motor size, torque play a role? And what would you recommend? My idea is to be able to cut 2” thick High Density Polyurethane but if I am able to cut aluminium than I will sleep better at night, precision also plays a big role on why I will be building the Mechmate.

Having a few people give me advice would be much appreciated, I have no background to any CNC machine. But I access to a laser cutter

Sincerely
Leonard.

PS: If there is any one in South Africa who successfully build a mechmate please feel free to comment or help.
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 11:08
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Welcome, but read, read and read all on this forum, there are a few South African MechMates operating.
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 20:45
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I think you should be able to cut alu ask Marius around the corner from you.
Old Tue 22 December 2009, 00:44
iclazion
Just call me: Leonard

Pretoria
South Africa
Do you know how I can get in contact with Marius. Would love to pop in and have a look at his Mechmate, and ask a few questions if he wont mind?
Old Tue 22 December 2009, 00:50
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Send him a pm and ask his details

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read