MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 07 December 2009, 03:17
Stepinwolf
Just call me: Bob

Trois Rivieres
Canada
New MM builder in Trois Rivières, Québec, Canada

Greetings to everyone.

I have been looking into building a CNC for a few years now, and although I have visited quite a few Forums and sites, I have not seen anything that compares to this one. I am in the process of ordering a set of laser-cut, parts from one of the Forum Members, and will purchasing the necessary metal, and electronics as they are needed.

Metal, and woodworking are not a problem for me, but I must admit I am lacking in the electronics area. I can follow any and all clear instructions to the letter, so I figure with a little help, I should not have a problem in the initial construction phase.

I am retired, and in the process of building a few, full size aluminum aircraft, and the use of a MechMate, will be for me a Godsend. Repetitive, crooked parts I can readily make by hand, so during the construction, I will go the extra mile to make the unit as precise as I can. However, although living on a disability pension will no doubt restrict some of my purchases, I refuse to compromise when the time comes to purchase quality components.

In closing I am planning on building the MechMate to have a cutting area of 5' by 12 ', so that along with my own parts, I will be able to offer my services commercially, and get a return on my investment.

My other hobby is the restoration of 1963 to 1967 Corvettes, and although my website is rather Spartan, those who are interested, can have a look to see what I have been up to over the years. If the site doesn't seem too professional, www.autoretro.info it is because I did all the work myself.

Robert ( my friends call me Bob ) Pélland
Trois Rivières, Québec, Canada

Last edited by Stepinwolf; Mon 07 December 2009 at 03:26.. Reason: spelling error
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 04:27
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Hi Robert,

I'm looking forward to your build. I'm sure you will get all the help you need along the way. You say you are building a few aircraft? I'm having trouble getting started on just one. The Mechmate will be a great help. I'm constantly amazed at the accuracy of mine.

Regards,

Jayson.
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 04:35
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
I am well in to the build of a Zenith CH-701, but since the new CH-750 plans have been available, I am trying to cut ( hence the need for a MechMate ) parts for both aircraft at the same time.

Bob
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 04:43
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
Great to hear. I'm planning on building a CH601HD. The most time consuming part is converting the plans to digital format. It would make it so much easier is Zenith would just sell the plans in digital format. A 701 or 750 would be great fun but not practical for the type of flying I like doing.

Jayson
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 05:08
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Binevenu à bord Bob !

Car guys….brings far memories of my past as I was for many years involved in this trade. Even had for 10 yrs a business catering to road racers and road racing myself for 5 years after realize it was sure fun & pure excitement, good for business & PR... but burned all my bank

Aircraft, sounds like you are really in to toys for grown up & mature boys…. CNC diy is right up this ally too in my opinion !!!
If ever you should need assistance and help after reading the zillions post around here, we will be glad to “steer” a car & craft guy in the right “ally
Pour ce qui est de la partie électromécanique du contrôleur, il me fera plaisir de te guider vers les bonnes directions quand viendra le temps.

Wishing you a great build & fun !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 05:42
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Merci Robert,

The most difficult part of browsing the multitude of threads, is trying to figure out the latest revisions, or rendations for each part, or step in the construction process. Case in point are the threads on a " skate " ( for lack of a better term ) type of tool to grind the 45 degree angles on both side rails.

There seems to be so many different opinions, and rendations of this item, it will take me days, to try and figure out which is the latest, best, or most recommended model to use. Just going through the enormous qualtity of threads, and links to other threads on the same subject, is enough to make a newbie such as myself, dizzy. I realise that for those of you who have been following these threads for some time, it may be easy for you to come to a final conclusion, but to try and absorb all of this info at one time is mind bogling.

Last night I tried to make a decision on which one I should consider, and I spent more then four hours, ending up with more then a dozen different open windows on my desktop. I don't want to give you the impression that I am not ready to invest the time for the build, but it would be such a time saver if someone were to respond with a comment such as " hey Bob, use this it works " and that would be sufficent for me to get on with the labor, rather then wasting my time in front of the keyboard. I don't expect anyone to do my work, I just don't want to re-invent the wheel, since others have done an excellent job of it before me.

Salutations
Bob
Old Mon 07 December 2009, 06:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepinwolf View Post
The most difficult part of browsing the multitude of threads, is trying to figure out the latest revisions, or rendations for each part, or step in the construction process. Case in point are the threads on a " skate " ( for lack of a better term ) type of tool to grind the 45 degree angles on both side rails.
You will do okay if you stick to the standard drawings and pencil in the notes from Drawing problems and revisions required, considered and intended . . . . .

On reading threads, you only need to read the top "sticky" threads in each forum to get started.
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 06:30
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Salut Bob
Bonne chance dans ta construction, ça devrais pas etre plus dur que de remonter une vette . peut etre le premier MM avec de la peinture metal flake?
Normand
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 06:39
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Merci Normand,

Non surement pas plus difficile, ni plus long. Pour ce qui est de la peinture, ca va etre le "bleue" préférer de Gérald,( pour lui faire plaisir ) mais fait a la poudre. Je fait moi meme du " powercoat " depuis long date, mais mon four est très petit.

Salutation
Bob
Old Thu 10 December 2009, 20:38
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Welcome Bob: It is great adventure and the best forum on the web. Joe
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 04:08
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Thank you for the welcome. As for being the best Forum on the web, can't argue on that, and wouldn't want to. There is so much information, it sometimes makes me dizzy.

Bob
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 22:10
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome.
You will have plenty of those dizzy feeling.
Firstly, this site which Gerald put up will let you over joy to realize building a CNC router is within a regular guy's reach.
Secondly, the wealth of information contributed are so genuine & useful that they seem unreal.
Thirdly, the dazzling MM capabilities.

Ken
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 19:58
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Laser cut parts

Well I am happy to inform everyone that I have just received my very first box of laser cut parts, and a big thank you to Heath.

Over the past week I have also ordered the following.

4 # G203V Gecko drives
4 PK299-F4.5A Oriental Motors
1 Antek Power Supply
1 BOB PMDX-122 from Practial Micro Design.

Once they are received, they will all be gift wrapped with a small note that will say,,,

" Merry Christmas To Bob, From Bob " )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laser-Cut [1280x768].JPG (62.2 KB, 223 views)
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 20:11
Bill Sanford
Just call me: Bill

Hattiesburg,MS
United States of America
newby

Im a complete new comer. Boy those parts look great. How do I get the
parts and plans.
Regards , Bill
Old Mon 21 December 2009, 21:25
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Glad you liked the parts Bob!
Old Tue 22 December 2009, 05:00
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sanford View Post
Im a complete new comer. Boy those parts look great. How do I get the
parts and plans.
Regards , Bill
Bill,

The plans are available on this site in the "downloads" section, as for the laser cut parts, mine were from Domino11 and although they were excellent, it might not be cost effective ( shipping, brokerage, etc. ) to order them cross border, since we both are in Canada. You can do a search on the Forum, and most certainly find someone in the US who can supply you.

If you don't want to waste any time in looking, check out jbmclain ( alias joe # 42 ) since he is the major supplier of laser cut parts in the US.

Good luck

Bob

Merry Christmas to all
Old Tue 22 December 2009, 06:14
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
Laser cuts parts en route

Hi Bob,

I am expecting my laser cut parts to arrive any day now. I ordered the kit from Heath as well.

BTW, what are the specs on the Antek power supply that your purchased?

Best wishes.

Clayton

Last edited by cleyte; Tue 22 December 2009 at 06:35..
Old Tue 22 December 2009, 08:39
Stepinwolf

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleyte View Post
Hi Bob,

BTW, what are the specs on the Antek power supply that your purchased?

Clayton
I was advised by Mike Richards, a fellow Forum member, who is helping me out with my electronics, that the best choice for me might be the Antek PS-10N50. It's a 50VDC 20A unit, and I ordered it from Antek without the fuse model, or additionnel outputs, since the other voltages that are necessary will be supplied by small, dedicated, and independant power supplies.

Other then that I can't add anything, since I am challenged as far as anything that has to do with electronics. You can read that as being completely lost..

Hope this helps

regards
Bob

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read