MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 14 September 2009, 15:19
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Wink Work Horse Rebuild - Lac-Brome, Quebec, CA

Hi All,
Well, this is it guys!!
Enough of me being in the back ground, as of today, I’m devoting most of my time for making “FINALY” my MechMate....long time waited for !
A little about me..... Where to start ?
It’s been a LOOooonngg time since I waited to write this !
Some of you know me because I've been in the back seen of this marvellous group for over three years.
I make studio & reproduction furniture for a living for the past ten yrs now.
Early 2000, I took my first course on Autocad because I planned & had the firm intention to aquire a CNC before end of the decade... Never imagine time would pass so fast, this decade that is !
Left the Autocad world after just a few mouths in to it, to migrate to the 3D Cad world.
A Must for designing and for the presentation to some potential clients....Back then it was a big deal to draw in 3D, today it has become almost boring...at least nothing out of this world, more like a must!!.

Then, came my searching on the CNC subject. Early 2000, to own a cnc was more cost involved then today small “introductory” versions. That lead me to ShopBot in 2003, then meet another Woodworking shop owner and he too was not pleased with the bot and …. long story short, early 2006 meet Gerald and his the MechMate on the CNCzone....

3 yrs later, I'm almost ready. Some are just more patient than others... Remember, I'm a furniture maker....Developing patience is imperative to this trade ….as many other ones.
I've almost become a patient guy..

Enough said, here are some pics of where my project stand as of to date....on this long, but fun journey of mine to successfully making my a MechMate of mine too....
To cut 66 x 97 and with an indexer ! : CNC-01-9004.jpg
Some part accumulated to date :
P7020002.JPG
P8060002.JPG
P9140006.JPG
Reveiving MotoinKing motors-4.JPG
The fun part.... The electrical
RME-Elec-C_box.jpg
RME-Elec-gantry.jpg

MANY, many thanks to Gerald for his patience,...must admit, unintentionally a few time I’ve too push his “E-stops” buttons
Also, many thanks to this group, whom whit out some of you intervening and suggestions, I would not be doing this today !
I’ve forecast in the next coming weeks some serious time on my agenda to complete MY BABY. Actually, I made a point and promise to myself to get it running by oct 26 as this will be my 45th birthday….

Thank you Soooo much too all those supporters and being VERY patient with me in the past with some of my pertinent question in my quest to “debug” myself and thoughts with all questions…. Rest assure, it was well worth it.
Amicalement, Robert
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 15:24
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I can already tell that your Mechmate will be a work of art. Can't wait to see pictures of it.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 15:47
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Robert

Looks like you got all the right parts and a good set of drawings. Good luck with your build.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 15:52
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Way to go Robert.

Better to have it right, than fast. Have fun with the build.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 22:39
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Let the real fun begin. Welcome into your build Robert.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 23:56
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Good luck Robert. It will be a breeze for you! You have done more home work on the MM than most of us.
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 00:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This must be the most planned and analysed "virtual" MM ever - sometimes I even think that it is already real!

It came as a shock to see in your drawing above that a French speaking person works in inches.

Okay Robert, we will all stand back now and give you some space to build the beast. We will talk you again on Oct 26.
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 01:06
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Bonjour Robert,

Congratulations on your start, and I look forward to seeing your work. Based on what you've done so far and pictures of your other work in posts, it will be a nice machine. (I like your one piece cable rails!)

By the way, I had the opportunity to live in Montreal for two years, and worked with some of the most talented cabinet makers I've ever met. I've been back in the US for a couple years, and can't get my mind off of that city...I hope to retire there someday!
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 04:16
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Woouw, what a warm welcome guys, THANK you so much !
This is a nice way to wake up & start a day

Gerald is so right, this has been planned & re-planned virtually in 3D a few time within the past few years ! I think it’s called a work in progress….or overworked / planned….naaa
In must be a side influences from my work methods & ethics….. When I’m not satisfied or the customer is more demanding, I go back to the drawing board !
I must admit, I was exited the very first time ( that was a few yrs back !!) the thought came through my mind I could built this, but ever so intimidated for me….. Because of the electro-mechanics part, like many newbie to this DIY CNC thing!!!
Without the kick start by Gerald’s well explained plans and Sean help whom which my controller box drawing CADs are inspired from and Mike Richards throughout explanations when I was asking pertinent questions, I would most probably not been doing this.
Just too many other ones to thanks for, but all & all, it’s this group of fine builders and people that are an important key that motivates many other like me

The length of time it took me before I start this was not to get ever so ready & and planned, but simply I was not in the budget & time frame. Still to date, but sometimes you must push to get…. And that goes without you guys knowing this; I have a major space issue….
I’ll eventually show you through some photos !

Yes Gerald, I do a lot of my work in inches just as much as in metric, as still too many people & customers in Quebec are not in full metric measurement mode, plus a great deal of are materials (from tree log, sheet goods for my work, home building materials, print paper…. to steel) are still in the majority communicated in the old English measurement. It’s the influence from many sources & suppliers….from USA !

Well…..enough said as I have to get ready to go buy more stuff for this build and still take care of business. Sooo many hrs has to go to buying stuff….even if a lot is already planned!

Not to be over thankful, which I profoundly believe it cannot be, I thank you all for your great support and can’t wait to give back too of some of my hand on situation, solution & usage experience.

Merci Gerald, amicalement Robert
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 06:04
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Robert,
Nice drawing! Looks a little familiar
I am glad to see you moving along and getting to the starting line.
Chat with you soon....you know the number!

Sean
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 06:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Just a bit curious about the position of your "indexer valley" . . . . why not more to the right to give a bigger table on the left? Are you planning to have a little bit of horizontal table surface on the right as well?
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 07:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Wow,
Another MM close to me. Looks like we will have to exchange build stories this fall Robert.
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 08:26
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Gerald, the main purpose for my future MM, as you suspect, is mostly for solid wood, sold wood panel glue ups, and some occasional veneer panels.
Combined, I bought less than 5 MDF & practical boars in the past 10 yrs of doing this
It goes to tell I don’t do much sheet goods, but who knows, this could change with this new equipment !
The main reason for the valley being a little off to the left was to keep some reasonable symmetry to those angled braces and…..If ever one day, if ever… I see a valuable business need for ATC, there will be this 150mm space for it.
The cutting width on the right side is still quite acceptable at 42” ( 1065 ) wide.
I also plan, once fully in work & sweaty mode…. to make some plans for a simple system allowing for an easy & fast method to remove some kind of support over this valley in order to cut those bigger sheet goods when a serious job would be called for it.
Bear in mind that I have a panel sliding table saw that can handle sheet goods up to 2500 x 2800.
So for the time being there should be no real benefit of having a bigger cutting table surface machine vs having the open fast access & diversity of this indexer…. with a potential space for a ACT if time & business do justifies it !
Well, all & all, we all know too well when time & business comes for a sheet goods cutting machine, this is where I may just plan to make a 2dn BEAST, dedicated strictly for that
Old Wed 23 September 2009, 08:34
yamsx600
Just call me: yamsx600

Québec
Canada
Bonjour Robert,

Je suis Daniel et moi aussi je suis de Québec (ville de Québec). Je pense moi aussi à fabriquer un MechMate. J'aimerais savoir ou tu as trouvé tout ton matériel électrique? Moi je suis équipé pour faire tout le reste. Mais il me manque des connaisances pour la partie électrique et logiciel. J'aimerais bien savoir si tu peux me donner un coup de main.
Merci
Old Wed 23 September 2009, 16:51
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Salut Daniel,
Welcome aboard dear fellow “du Quebec à Quebec” !!
All my electrical parts come from US sources ( AutomationDirect, FactoriMation etc). Some odd & ends come from local electronic surplus sources.
Surly they must be some electronic surplus store in Quebec city ?
otherwise any other electronic store, just some are more expensive

Futech is another source here in Quebec, their specialized in electro-mechanics components…. BUT they, like too many of them around here in our beautiful QUEBEC, enjoy reaching DEEP, DEEP in your pockets last I checked…. Last year

Secret....soit très patient et fait beaucoup de lecture ici, dans ce forum. Des tonnes d'informations fiables ce cache, à toi de faire tes recherches pour tes besoins. Pas de problème pour te porter mains fortes, mais si tu aurais déjà fait quelque lecture, tu aurais répondu à la question que tu me poses!?...
Bref...pas de problème pour moi de t'apporter, mains fortes, je sais trop c'est quoi se sentir désemparer dans ce monde des "DIY-CNC'ers"

PS…next time you need personal info, fell free but send me a PM ( message privée), thus eliminating valuable thread / info space on this forum !
À bientot l’ami.... Amicalement, Robert
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 06:20
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Salut mon Bob ,enfin barnac un mm proche d'ici ,tu vas faire fureur dans les groupes d'ébenistes et de mortaiseux du coin. Ou il vont peut etre te barré comme si tu etait habité dun démon quelquonque ,ils sont dur a prévoir. Tu prévois combien de temps pour compléter ? Té tu finalement choisi un cad et cam? Encore bravo ,je commencais a douter ,mais la je suis rassuré . Slack un peu le forum pis va batir je veux voir un mm running avant la premiere neige !
Normand
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 06:45
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Normand,

It snows early down here in Utah. I hope you've given Bob enough time for his build.
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 12:18
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Hey hey Norm !
Ya in p'tit-bou qu,on c’les pas faite sign
Inticket toi pas mec, ch’pas pire dans l’temps….mais comme tu dit, pas l’temps trop niaiser !!
Check les photos ici d't-sous....PAS pire hein

Sorry, some realse in slang french feel good

So…I had in mind to post a cleaner photo sequance, but, some of you guys think I may not finish before out great white stuff start falling…. Hey

Progress is slower than anticipated but….

“Robert to MechMate CENTRAL….
1e_resize.jpg
I’m confirming…….
2e_resize.jpg

WE HAVE CONTACT…..
3e_resize.jpg

TESTING WORKING CONTACT THAT IS !

The light simulate the router !
All electrical appears fine & well, next step later on, by this week-end ends, will have it working with computer & simulate with Mach

Seriusly….MAN…I missed my estimated time on the local shoping time and the “buffer zone” for those OUPS!
Let me tell ya, you are never “so much prepared ahead” enough…. I fell as I have to start from scratch…almost. Goes to tell ya, get ready, but not to much, get in the works, that will save you total time spent at the end !
Nothing beat hand on vs planning….of caurse, some basic planning still has to be done…Dooo !

Ho !!!…almost forgot….I also am having a blast by just starting the steel part….

Main_beams_resizes.jpg

but more on this w/pics to come next week
Again, Thanks ya’ll for being there when I was popping questions, and questions, and more questions…
now my turn to show & then be on the answering team…soon

PS…. MIKE!!! You & French ???
mmmm we need to talk… a plus tard mon ami….
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 12:21
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Haaa,ha…I’m already a step head for one of the question….
WHY only 19.8V…. My PS will run on 245V….and this test was only on 122V
Amicalement,
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 12:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Robert, it looks like you have the Geckos screwed to "wood"? That means they will not cool at all because the wood is a heat insulator. No damage will be done, but you could get fault lights before you finish the kitchen tests. A small airspace between the gecko and the wood will help.

Why is your power supply voltage only 20 Volt?
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 14:13
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Not to worry Gerald….
My lack of explanation made you ( and surly other will too ) jump to this conclusion.
I did not take enough time to fully explain these photos

This is only my test board for the “ Kitchen Project ” test, it's mounted on some leftovers I had.
Rest assured, It’s all going to be transferred on a steel plate and the Geckos on a aluminum heat sink as you prescribe !
Merci for caring & the advice
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 17:57
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
looking good!
Old Fri 25 September 2009, 08:04
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Robert,
I know Gerald asked the question, but I will again.
Did you not wire your transformer outputs correctly? I was reviewing your schematic again and you should be somewhere in the 40 volt range with your model number. I think you need to change to a series for the proper voltage. Just check it - you might be wired in Parallel right now....or you wired the input side of the transformer and your only converting 120volts and not 240....check your wire!

Sean
Old Fri 25 September 2009, 11:25
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Sean, Geral…
Thanks for worrying
It may be me who miss explained my self in my below post #19.... or no one can see it ???
This fast and pre-matured 1st bench test was made only to take some photos and have fun replying to Normand, Mike and of caurse all the group, I’ll should be over before show falls….unless this year is like once it had happen, an early shown fall in the 1st or 2nd week of October…….

THIS TEST was conducted with only 122Vac at the input while it is configured to be on dual (3wire) 245V !!
All is just fine and reading are what they should be
On the other hand Sean, I sent you a PM last Tuesday or Wednesday, did you get that one ?

AGAIN… thanks for caring…it’s feels nice and fuzzy to see how other care.
Merci to all !
Old Fri 25 September 2009, 17:17
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Robert
I responded in email. Email me again if you need more! merci
Old Fri 25 September 2009, 20:14
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Never came through ?? spam guard maybe
I’ll PM you out of here to give you another email address !
Old Thu 01 October 2009, 17:14
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Hi guys…
Some little progress….just not as much as I was hoping for…. But moving forward faster then ever…if we look at it as it took me 3yrs to start

Lots of time spent shopping….man…this is time consuming…but needed !!!
Enough complaining, here’s some photos of a guy who has never cut so much steel in is life….
Raw sized steel.jpg

All that cutting done at a nice, cool & crisp 5C ( 41F)….
Cutting at 5C!!.jpg

Not worried about snow…YET
this is only a tempo cold front passing by…warm weather is forecast for this week-end, ( +/- 12 to 15C)
Later, Robert
Old Thu 01 October 2009, 22:31
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Robert, one thing is for sure ,once the MM is working your felder is going to be moved to a corner in the workshop,don`t use mine like I used to.Good luck with your build.
Old Sat 03 October 2009, 04:41
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Hennie, the Felder is just to usefull for me (almost only solid wood woodworking) to see the day it will be useless !
But point taken, which basicely why we go with this beast project
Old Sat 03 October 2009, 04:42
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Hi all,

To those who would be interested or are wondering which wireing to go if you should / want to use IGUS Chainflex screen cable, here’s a few part # that I ordered for the beast !

- Motors, No: CF6-07-04 ( 4 conductors x 07mm (18awg))
- Data, No : CF6-05-07 ( 7 conductors x 05mm (20awg))
- Data, No : CF6-05-09 (9 conductors x 05mm (20awg))
-Roter/spindle : CF31-25-04 ( 4 conductors x 2.0mm (14awg))

Decided to go with IGUS for some few basic reasons:
First, in my case (in Canada) LAPP has no corporate warehouse, no distributor for the wire needed which means it had to be brought in from a office agent who in turns get’s it from USA main warehouse, which again meat I had to pay an astronomical price ( +/- 20-25%...freight, customs, duty…etc, more than what IGUS cost me at my door steps) but …the focal point aside prices, the LAPP agent knew basically zippo about some very basic tech info I was hoping to get and I had to run after him to get 1st a quote…. and that goes with he never returned my calls about turnaround time on an order nor a bitch attitude over the phone !?

IGUS, well, it was a fun experience.
1st, they have a local corporate rep that came the very next day I 1st called with some catalogs in hand !!
Call on the guy afterwards and get knowledgeable tech info, prices and anything else you can think of, related to what they offer and get answered with a friendly attitude on the fly anytime of the day. Just can’t say that nor could not find anyone for BELDEN and LAPP…well as said, rather eat sand than call on those arrogant bitches again !

So, as I can understand in some other countries, IGUS can be more money, but for me, cost less and get service & courteous answers…. Even if sometimes it can cost more, it is worth a little more $$....best of all, here in Canada it cost 2 to 3 time less than LAPP !!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read