MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Fri 18 February 2011, 06:37
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
well done as always. Is that filter from a Chevy or Ford carburetor!
Old Fri 18 February 2011, 08:14
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I hope its from a Chevy, or the MM will definitely run slower.
I like the silicone keyboard. No dust problems there.
Old Sat 19 February 2011, 06:47
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfcnc View Post
Request for information on Chinese Spindle Bearings

Does anyone know the bearing size for my 2.2 kw water cooled Chinese spindle. It is one of the many sourced from LoveHappyShopping on Ebay.

Secondly has anyone pulled one of these apart, had any experience with bearing changes or can prove a link on the web to someone who has.

Thanks
Ross
Ross,

check this out:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...spindle-2.html

Message #71

Milosh
Old Sat 19 February 2011, 08:28
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Here’s the direct link to this #71 on the zone !
Old Sat 19 February 2011, 19:21
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi All

Hate to disappoint you Sean and Heath, I bought the filter by dimensions only from my favourite old bloke parts supplier that has one of everything that was ever made on the shelf.
Seeing as it is so import though, I am now calling it a Chevy filter and attracting all the reflected glory that comes with the badge

Milsoh and Robert thanks for the links, I will have a look at the pics in the forum post.
They look very detailed so that was just what I was after - good stuff.

The more I look into the bearings on the Chinese spindles, the more it seems substitution is the game they are all playing.
True axial bearings that take loads from multiple directions are quite expensive so it is no wonder they slid down the slope to poorer quality bearings.
My only issue is did they have to slide THAT far and play the insider wise guy games.
I guess once a process is started it is hard to stop.
From my perspective it is not the end of the world though, as retrofitting with known high quality bearings is still less than the price of spindles a few years ago.

Cheers
Ross
Old Sun 20 February 2011, 09:44
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Hi All

Tought this was allready posted before, but this is the way Chinese manufacturers get there Germany bearings

http://www.tradett.com/germany-bearing-products/
Old Thu 24 February 2011, 05:44
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Dust Shoe Version V1.0 and 2.0

Hi All

I had my first go at making a Dust Shoe, Foot or Shroud (The names abound).
The machine cut the 12mm acrylic really well.
I am just so surprised by the quality of the cut with no belt reductions and the 24 tooth pinions.

Version 2.0 is already on the drawing board as I broke the clamp part of the dust shoe drilling a hole in it !!
Given how easily it shattered, next time the dust shoe will be made from polycarbonate that likes to flex a bit more.

IMG_1293.jpg

I have redesigned the clamping mechanism completely.
Both of the dust shoes use a bicycle post cam lock mechanism to attach to the spindle.
The new design clamps at the front and the lever lays nice and flat this time.
The piece on the left bolts to the middle section with some 6mm CSK screws.
The two short lines are profiled 3mm deep each to form a 6mm shaft for the quick release bolt.

Dust Shroud V2.jpg

Definitely want to have it quick to remove as it restricts Z travel to about 140mm when in place.
Setting the Z to zero at 200mm off the spoil board will have it ripped right off.
Maybe another reason for incorporating flex into the design.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 28 February 2011, 23:03
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Dust Shoe V2 Comes to Life

The redesigned clamping mechanism on my V2 of the dust shoe worked a treat.
The shoe fits an 80mm Chinese spindle and uses a STD 100mm vacuum hose joiner.

Waiting for some 10 mm diameter x 5mm thick rare earth magnets to epoxy in to finish it off.

Clamp
Clamping Mechanism.JPG

Overall
Overall view Dust Shoe V2.JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 03 March 2011, 18:10
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Collet Holder

Two pieces of scrap form ply morphed into a collet holder.

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 07:11
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
The other piece of scrap next to the plwood looks pretty good.
Did you V-Carve it?

Jason
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 09:05
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Seem a good resolution without belt reductios.

Last edited by isladelobos; Sat 05 March 2011 at 09:09..
Old Sat 05 March 2011, 14:45
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Jason

Yet another experiment, it is cast acrylic that has had a vector graphic carved with a 3mm ball nose bit.
When it was done I rubbed furniture wax into the surface and it gave it an interesting transparency.
Turned out fine but I was actually trying a 1mm end mill with some cutting fluid as well as a bit of silicone spray on the other side.
Was working until I dropped the RPM and broke the bit.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 12 March 2011, 01:50
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Made a Fish

While browsing the web for creative ideas I came across this site ...
http://buildyourcnc.com/MarkGottscha...NCMachine.aspx by Mark Gottschalk.
A very creative guy, so if you don't own a CNC machine buy one of his creations from him.

Here is my take on a wooden fish produced by the amazing mechmate.

X Ray Fish Planttion Pine.JPG

Plantation pine finished with a simple wax mixture I make up myself.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 12 March 2011, 18:58
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Very nice Ross!! I like these fish, so many great designs and fish to choose from.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 18 March 2011, 23:18
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hey Ross,

Are you using your dust foot yet? how did you mount it? is it a fixed mount or can the dust foot travel up and down with the Z axis?
Looks good!! I will need to see this in action.
Nothing much to report here as I have been interstate with work since I got back from leave a week or so ago.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 18 March 2011, 23:39
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Greetings Tony

This week I have just finished shaping a new short board for a surf trip.
The garage is now a clean room for glassing until the epoxy coats have been completed - so ABSOLUTELY no dust allowed, not even from the Mechmate !!

The machines next project is already drawn up though, as I am using it to make the fin system router jigs for the board.

The magnets have been a while arriving from the UK but they turned up on Friday for the dust foot.
The darn things are so fiercely strong, I am going to have to glue in only 4 of the six possible first to see if i can actually pull the brush off.
Totally over following the cutter around with the vac so I will pay some attention to that soon.
The dust foot is a fixed mount type and the clamp at the front holds it very firmly to the body of the spindle itself.
The foot limits Z travel to around half of the spec so it is not a one size fits all solution.

Really enjoying making stuff with the MM but as I promised myself one project at a time, my boards need replacement badly due to lack of attention to that side of things over the past year.

Cheers
Ross
Old Sat 19 March 2011, 15:57
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
I look forward to seeing your boards, not too much call for them here but. . . .
Old Sat 19 March 2011, 21:05
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tim

Apparently at zero degrees C water turns to ice. The only place that happens around here is in the freezer section of the refrigerator !

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 19 March 2011, 21:36
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Its - 15 c tonight. A bad night is - 60c with wind chill. Always warm and sunny in the shop

Tim
Old Mon 28 March 2011, 04:53
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Magnets Installed on the Dust Shoe

The epoxy holding the rare earth magnets in place has set and pleased to report the dust shoe fits together as planned.
Four 5mm x 10mm diameter magnets held the removable brush in place very strongly.

IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg

The Mechmate also cut a nice router template for my new surfboard's fin plugs. Such a handy machine to have on hand.

IMG_1459.jpg

As far as putting the board directly under the gantry and let the machine cut the holes - just not up to that stage at present

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 29 March 2011, 05:59
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Second Fin Jig Finished

This evening I made the second part of the fin jig system.
A video for you all to watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0KWimmYCzY

The end product - the photo does not show much detail I'm afraid but the video shows what is going on quite clearly.
IMG_1471.jpg

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 29 March 2011, 09:00
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ross, if you are going to do a lot of text carving, you will want a better programmer to create the G-code and speed up the letter cutting drastically. 10 years ago we used VCarvZ (probably obsolete now) and it was a lot more efficient than what you have at the start of the video.
Old Tue 29 March 2011, 12:51
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Aspire does that to have sharp corners on letters, it can be turned off and speed up the process.
Old Tue 29 March 2011, 18:02
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Thanks Gerald and Danilo

Gerald I followed up the VCarvZ application and it is mentioned on the shopbot forum around the time you mention, however the trail has gone cold and the site is down now.
I'm sure the code will live on somewhere re-badged or merged into another vendors product.
I appreciate that you can just look at something and suggest an improvement.

Generally I have been going at things with very reserved feed rates like 15mm per second and also the motor acceleration smoothed quite a bit (something like .2 -.3 G).
Might have to wind the wick up a bit.

PS - you could also grow a beard (or improve your existing) waiting for the slow plunge rate I used for the cutter to hit the work piece.

Regards
Ross

Regards
Ross

Last edited by Surfcnc; Tue 29 March 2011 at 18:08..
Old Tue 29 March 2011, 21:18
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ross, if you are using Vector for the text carving, I am sure they will be the first to admit that your video is nearly like watching paint dry. It is probably just a case of settings in Vector. Yeah, most of the problem is the surplus Z-moves in terms of quantity, distance and speed. Cutting the curves of the letter seems fairly okay....most of the text carving programs seem to want to go twice on each part of the letter.
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 06:04
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Mdf

Just a short post to say how much I dislike MDF.

This afternoon I recut one of my fin jigs, this time at least 4x the speed and it was done in a flash.
I have connected my old but now refurbished 1700 CFM dust extractor up to the dust foot and it clears the fine dust away nicely.
After a job is run their is no visible dust in the air but I'm not fooling myself I know it is still there.

Thing is, the MDF dust is still in the cut grove and after a few stokes with the sandpaper on the edges and it is still all over you even for a small job.
It is cheap to use and fills a niche in the available constellation of sheet products but in a perfect world there is no MDF.

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 06:54
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I am with you on MDF...I like REAL wood
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 09:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I like real wood like the next guy, but MDF has it's place.
Stable, flat, holds a machined edge, paintable and stainable - CHEAP

If you could find a plastic like SINTRA or PVC sheet that performed like MDF, I would be all in for the same price.

...off to clean that nasty MDF dust of my tool chest and control box (again)

Sean
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 10:29
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Not so sure about HOLDING that machined edge Sean. The MDF that are dumped here in South Africa break easily when I machine contours etc that are smallish. Maybe other MDF is a bit tougher..sorry I have to go outside now to get rid of this MDF cough..
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 12:55
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I Agree,mdf is a killer I am at a stage where I don`t like the mdf projects because of the dust.You can have the best dust extractor the dust is still around.Like Sean said it is so versatile.Lucky thing is I know some chap up north with a contact for some ply boards.Kobus I don`t know if you got my sms about the cutting file for a bed that I created on the same concept as the pics I sent you.will bring it with and some cutters then we can try it out.( see you over the weekend )

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts