MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 13 December 2007, 14:30
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
$$$wiring full run?

I see how expensive the "motion wire" is per foot. Is everybody making the full run from the Geckos to the motors with motion wire, or are they just using it inside the E-chain?
Old Thu 13 December 2007, 18:10
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I ran it the entire way. I had trouble finding anyone to sell me short lengths and the company I ordered from charged an extra $25 per cable for a cut fee. If I had switched to a cheaper cable, I wouldn't have saved anything by the time I paid the cut charge.
Old Thu 13 December 2007, 19:52
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If you do make a joint in the cable, the continuation cables still need to be screened to prevent them from radiating noise. And the joint itself is a radiation point. Technically, it is okay to make joints in the motor cables (we are already joining onto the motor "fly leads") and it's suggested to make such joints in a metal enclosure. All four motor cables joined inside the same enclosure. The other cables should bypass this enclosure.

Then you want a joint in the router/spindle cable......this could probably be done in the enclosure for the stepper motor cables.

A joint for the signal cables?.......that should be on its own, away from high-amp cables.

Joint for the mains E-stop cable? .......This one could probably be joined in the same box as the motor cable joints.

So, after chewing it through, will the shielded extender cables be really that much cheaper on $$$, time and risk of a loose connection?
Old Fri 14 December 2007, 05:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Personally, I like "home runs" of cable. It limits all the Gerald specific criteria listed previously and makes for a smaller margin for error. The cost of cable is cheap considering the headaches created when you trying to fix and problem later and the job you just contracted has to be out by 5pm!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read