MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 04 May 2008, 20:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Support / Spoil board sizing

In my area, sheet goods are only available in 4 x 8 sheets for mdf, ply and particle board . We do get some Russian birch ply in 5 x 5 sizes. My question is if I want to build my mechmate for a 5 x 8, how would I do the support / spoil board if I dont have 5x8 sheets easily available? Can you have a multi piece support/spoil board? If so where should the seams be?
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 21:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I would put the seam down the center of the table, using 2.5 x 8 sheets. Screw/glue a doubler under the join between the cross-supports.
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 22:12
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Heath

I checked around at all the lumber and big box stores for MDF larger than 4X8, but came up empty handed. Then I called the local counter top manufacturer and he had it in 4X10, 5X10, and 5X12 sizes. You must have someone in your area that does kitchens cabinets and /or counter tops. Worth a try.

Paul
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 05:56
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Heath,

Recall your concern not even a mounth ago ! post 57 !!!
You MUST search for some wholesaler – trade reseller lumberyards, not your Home Depot & etc !!
Let me know if you need sources, 5 x 8, 5 x10 & some are std available size.
Robert
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 06:06
devo
Just call me: Devin

Spencerville, ON
Canada
Heath,

You should be able to get any size you need through Robert Bury in Ottawa. They may not sell to you though without an account. If not call By Town Lumber and they will get it for you. I have gotten 16 foot long sheets from them in the past. Let me know if you need the phone numbers.

Devin
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 07:09
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Thanks for the response guys, I was just trying to see if it was an option to make a multipiece spoilboard. I will see if I can get some larger sheets as well. Just looking at options.

Once you have the support board in place, a multi piece spoilboard , if you are gluing it down shouldnt be a problem right?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read