MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 06 April 2010, 12:20
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Marius, welcome to the club...together we will keep the lights on in dark africa.

Thank's guys and just to show how wonderfull this MM family is. Today I received a parcel from Hennie.
His one Gecko 202 also packed up a while ago. He then replaced both X-axis with new G203's. Thus he had one faulty 202 and one working 202 available which he donated to me. Will see if our electronics guru at work can fix the 2 faulty Gecko's sometime.

Dankie Hennie, jy is 'n doring.
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 12:58
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Brad,
Might depend on the kind of wife you have too.
Old Fri 16 April 2010, 12:32
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Jan de Ruyter how is the dibbler comming on ?
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 02:14
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Kobus, was lecturing at UJ this week, so time was few. But I will buy some dome nuts this week and try it out. My concern so far is if I put 200 bolts and nuts into a plank, it is going to be HEAVY. Will look at Skiffy if they have a standard plastic thingy.

Many thanks for the effort, I appreciate.
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 03:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
How about glue instead of bolt & nuts?
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 05:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ken, it was all explained in your thread, while you were drinking Amarula.
See http://wannafarm.com/
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 05:55
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ouch ... I forgot...
How about nylon/plastic bolts & nuts? Its rust & chemical resistance too!
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 06:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This week I refurbished my little Martlet thicknesser. Took it apart, put new bearings in everywhere even on the bottom rollers. Went to Ruterforts to get the little height adjustment handle as mine never had one when I bought it secondhand a few years ago. While I was there I asked the price of 2 new rubber rollers.....R 490.00 each...ouch.... Well as luck was on my side they did not have the little handle in stock, so the workshop guy took me to a little store room to check if he had any lying around on the junk pile......
What did I see.....2 brand new rubber rollers. He said that he will ask his manager if she would sell it to me at half price at it was just lying there and this model was basically obsolete. This nice lady looked at me, saw that I would give these 2 rollers a good home and told me to take them away and look well after them....exactly what I will do.
Must say this thicknesser is now like new.....happy me.

I also finished that UGLY table.....My wife still say it's not her style, but must admit it is looking better.

I also gave that other hall table a coat of the ELVOLAC that Jan brought me. Must say it is also looking good.

DSC01135.JPG

DSC01144.JPG
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 10:03
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Lovely work!
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 19:36
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Kobus,
beautiful, work, and in my epitaph, you would spell it "peace" not peice
//chopper
Old Sun 18 April 2010, 00:42
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's guys, and to Chopper, welcome back, but PLEASE don't be such a hard ass when you differ from other people.

I am sure you have, will and can be a great asset to this forum, but leave the fighting to the asshole politicians out there. PEACE MAN... let's smoke the pipe.
Old Sun 18 April 2010, 11:02
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Kobus,
never intended to be a hard ass, actually far from it...if that is your perception,
I can see where it may seem to be that way but I just call it like I see it,
if I have an opinion I will share it, and when I Am wrong I will admit it,...
so with that said I admit I was wrong about the backlash accumulation,
after a great amount of thought on the subject and research I see that I came to the wrong conclusion, I guess it took me awhile to see the error in my line of thought, but I never intend, that my view is the correct view, it is just my view, all I ever intended was to help others better their machines, but anyway ........
"peace"
//chopper

Last edited by chopper; Sun 18 April 2010 at 11:07..
Old Sun 18 April 2010, 11:27
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
thanks
Old Mon 19 April 2010, 13:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I have a small engineers square like this..

engineersSQ.jpg

I believe it is not 100 % 90 degrees. How can I check it, because all 5 my squares I think / know is WRONG.

I went to the shop, took some GOOD QUALITY type of engineers squares and held them together and showed the salesman that they were out.

I am also trying to get a good 45 deg miter sled setup on my table saw, but because all these instruments are not PERFECTLY 45 degrees, I don't get it to my satisfaction.
Old Mon 19 April 2010, 14:09
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Kobus,

I don't know if this is a official way or not..

What I used to do is draw a line on the wood using a sharp pencil.
Then simply rotate the square around and line it up against the just drawn square.

First line
|
|
|
----

Second line

....|
....|
....|
----

( I had to add the dots because the forum removed my spaces)

if the angle is perfect 90 degrees there should be a perfect fit. If they are not 90% you will draw two lines, properly both ending at the top or the bottom making a tiny sharp triangle.

Ries
Old Mon 19 April 2010, 14:13
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Place the square against a known straight edge withthe "block" on the left and scribe a line up the blade, flip the square over so the "block" is on the right, line the blade up with the end of the scribe nearest the straight edge and scribe another line, the two lines should be on top of one another, if they diverge the square is not square.

The best instrument for setting the mitre sled square or 45 deg to the blade is the largest draughtsmans square you can find (the one with two 45's and a 90deg), they cover a large area and are fairly close to 100% accurate - get a known brand like Faber Castell.
Old Mon 19 April 2010, 20:15
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I draw a 3-4-5 triangle using a protractor. this will be more accurate then any square money can buy.
Old Mon 19 April 2010, 23:46
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's guys. I did it like Ries and Alan suggested, at they are definetly out....should I file/grind it to get it better or just shop till I get one that is correct?
Ken I could draw it on paper / cardboard and slide it under the square to check , or I will get old BBB to cut a draughtmans square tonight and see how accurate MACH3 can cut it out.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 07:37
YRD
Just call me: Yuri #17

Brasilia - DF
Brazil
Hi Kobus:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1028

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94963

Hope that helps
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 08:02
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Scrap mettal
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 12:18
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
Use it to hammer in nails until it is square. You might get joy from Toolquip & Allied or Traconsa, but they are a tad expensive.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 12:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The woodworking tools from http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/web/....php?MM=2&SM=2 should be good.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 17:37
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi ,did anyone try the digital angle finder like that
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...26tbs%3Disch:1
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 23:22
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
A solution would be to draw file it (holding the file 90 deg to the face) with a sweet file. However you might find yourself removing too much, so a scraper is preferred. The old, real artisans used this to align everything, including large lathes. You can remove microns using this method.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 23:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
http://zo-d.com/stuff/how-do-i/how-t...ng-square.html
Old Wed 21 April 2010, 01:07
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Gerald, I went to HW Centre when they had the branch on the East Rand, and even those were not perfect. Take 2 of the same type and hold them together, you need sun glasses to keep the sun out of you eyes.

Will look into the last one at home as the work does not allow me access to that site.
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 16:14
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Even if you find 2 that fit tight together ,they might be both off
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok ok I see some okes that stay in Holiday towns like to chat, so I will carry on in my own thread.

Cannot wait two more days until my contact at Rutherfords is back from leave, so on my way home tonight popped in at the Builders Warehouse.

Picked up a Skil 1830 for R 639.00. Made in Holland and the nice thing I could strip it apart not like my big Bosch that I would had to cut the handles off to fit it onto old BBB. 1100 Watt...twice the power than my old 500W Makita. Will see if it will also last 20 years plus.

Now to make a bracket for it.. eish... next problem..

Skil 1830.jpg
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 11:40
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
The oke from a small holiday town say that you must go and have a look at his router attachment
Old Mon 26 April 2010, 12:08
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
router bracket

Kobus see if it might work for you if yes then send me the dia of the shafts that hold the router foot and some measurements then I can draw a dxf for you.So far mine works good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (10.1 KB, 846 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read