MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Graphics & CAD
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 25 January 2007, 00:15
Gerald_D
Just call me:

ArtCam

Thread started for Stephen Hull...
Old Thu 25 January 2007, 08:40
Stephen Hull
Just call me:

Forum members,
I am in the final process of purchasing ArtCam Pro with maintenance = tutorials. Before finalizing this arrangement, I would like to ask if any of you have experience using this software and what you find good or not so good about it. Art Cam has nice wrap features and from my research, is generally a very good program and well received. As a note, I am not a CNC fluent user and will have a learning curve that may be somewhat steep, a good thing. I do have Rhino but find it does not have the readily available geometric features that I need although great for curves. My purpose for this is reproducing Tibetan art and symbols in good detail with my to be built MechMate (parts ordered).
Old Thu 25 January 2007, 19:25
Bob Cole
Just call me:

Stephen:
Before you jump into the tremendous cost of ArtCam Pro { a wonderful, but costly program}.
You might want to look into a program called Enroute3. sold bt SA International.
www.enroute3.com/Signmakers123 <----link broken 1/6/07
Though this program is somewhat expensive also, It is more intuitive during the learning process, and much less expensive than ArtCam PRO.
Old Thu 25 January 2007, 19:35
Stephen Hull
Just call me:

Bob,
Thanks for the referral. I will go to the web site you listed. I also appreciate your evaluation of ArtCam.
Stephen
Old Fri 23 November 2007, 12:10
Charlie
Just call me: Charlie

UT
United States of America
http://www.enroute3.com/index.html

I couldnt find any prices there though.
Old Fri 23 November 2007, 14:08
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Also have a look at Vectric products . . . . started by ex-Artcam people.
Old Thu 06 December 2007, 15:14
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
There was an industrial Woodworking show in Orlando today which I attended. ArtCam had a booth. I looked ArtCam Insignia which is priced at $3000 the Pro goes for $10,000. Insignia looks like a very nice package but I don't have any CNC using experience.

I hope that I have an opportunity to look at Vectric.
Old Fri 18 April 2008, 23:31
dmoore
Just call me:

Spot On..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Also have a look at Vectric products . . . . started by ex-Artcam people.
I own the v-Carve suite of products and like them very much. Without a doubt they are great for 2.5D but even Cut3D is more about toolpathing than a starting point for 3D, unlike v-Carve from which I start nearly all 2.5D work. So, in looking for something to do end-to-end 3D, I looked at ArtCam. So, I'm looking at the videos on their website (http://www.artcam.com/videos/) and I first notice the english accent. Then he demos the program and I think I'm looking at v-Carve.

That explains it - I wondered why they act (node editing, previews, layout on-screen, etc) nearly the same.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read