MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 24 July 2010, 20:31
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Affordable Pendants DIY article

I wanted to pass along an article that was in the Summer Issue of Digital Machinist. It basically has given a great diy article over 3 issues on how to build and setup your own pendant.

Some of the things that stood out to me was
Less than 100usd to build. (this assumes some ownership of parts)
Free dxf and other files to build the pendant.
Mentioned other companies products and didnt speak badly about them (but did promote his product)
PS2 cable length is good to 200' while Usb is good for 15'
PS2 is better for plasma than usb do to electrical noise
List all sources for parts, instructions and videos.

Basically it was a well written and very informative article that I thought some of you might benefit from.

His website (really obnoxious) is here if you want to look at his kit.
TexasMicroCircuits.com

For international shipping its only 8usd.
Old Sun 25 July 2010, 08:12
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Nice Find Russell!
Old Thu 29 July 2010, 14:03
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...Russell, but you can use a USB over CAT5 extender for the Shuttle Pro2 or other USB device and get 75' away from the terminal.

That's what I did and worked really well. I used shielded Cat5 for the run in the cable tray and such.

The USB extender is available most anywhere....I bought mine with the cross hair laser and USB Webcam for the Y-car remote cutting viewer window from www.dealextreme.com (also chinavasion.com good source too)

That let me check on the operator running the machine during those 40+ hour cutting sessions. YES...3d sometimes takes a while.

Sean
Old Thu 29 July 2010, 20:23
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Sean, I was just stating what the article said. What I found kinda funny is that he uses a Ps2 to Usb adapter (Its a Special one).

I have read the article a few times and it has flaws, but I am really looking forward to the next issue. Reason being is he states how to set it up for EMC. Not that I think it will be hard (Its just a keyboard) but Emc is not know for having easy add on gadgets. I am still trying to figure out how to add a button for and Output. I will click for me one of these days.

I like the shuttle but no EMC plug in and well if I can drop a huge steel I beam I think the shuttle doesnt stand a chance in the garage.
Old Thu 29 July 2010, 20:32
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Here is the article http://www.texasmicrocircuits.com/Documents/DMArticlePart1.pdf
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 11:03
zigmart
Just call me: John #112

Phoenix, AZ
United States of America
Mine is on the way! I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a pendant for a while now. This seems to fit the bill nicely
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 17:24
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I am waiting to pull the trigger until I see a few different builds up and running. Until the other day I didnt even feel all that comfortable ordering from him. Reason being is I have seen so many people on the Zone shell out money for great Ideals and never see a product or cash back.

What attracts me the most about this diy pendant is you can make a almost indestructible case for it and replace parts that will go bad or upgrade to better later on.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the product John!

Edit: Someone on the Zone is almost finished putting together one of these. http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread...058#post807058

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read