MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 05 April 2011, 11:54
jasoncarter
Just call me: Jason #82

Arkansas
United States of America
Dust, Logos, Paint and a Drill #82, North East Arkansas

I'm a long time lurker. I joined in 2008. I decided I wanted to build a mechmate in 2008 and purchased a laser cut parts kit. I have finally started building it about 6 weeks ago. The gantry is probably 80% complete and the table is probably 30% complete. I haven't started on the controls yet but this isn't my first CNC build so I don't anticipate any large issues there. I'll post some progress pictures before too long.
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 16:08
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !!! We would love to see pictures !!!
Old Mon 11 April 2011, 22:19
jasoncarter

Arkansas
United States of America
Here is mine so far. Not shown in the picture are the z-axis and the x-rails. The z-axis is complete but not yet assembled. I'm still using some of it's parts on the rail grinding jig. The x-rails are cut down but still need to have the angle cut on the top and the end stop block welded on.

The sides of the table are temporarily shored up at the end with a lumber contraption in case some of the clamps pops off the cross members before I get it welded.

I painted around the parts where the cross members are going to be welded. I'll touch it up after the welding.

IMG_1502.JPG
Old Mon 11 April 2011, 22:29
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Looks good so far!
Old Sat 07 May 2011, 10:07
jasoncarter

Arkansas
United States of America
I've made lots of progress. It's nearly mechanically complete. The motors are wired but I still lack wiring the proxy switches and buttons. I also have to complete the control box. I'll have to admit I connected it to one of my other controllers and used it to drill some holes.

My build has been mostly "by the book" so I haven't bothered to chronicle every detail of the build. Others have on this forum have done an excellent job of that already. I will post a few items where I have strayed from the plan or done something different.

My motor mounts are a bit different. They aren't different because of a lack of faith in the design, it was more a matter of using the tools and parts I had on hand.

When I ordered the laser cut parts a couple years ago they came with the mounts for the gear motors. When I finally got around to building my mechmate I decided to use direct drive so I needed the other motor mounts. I have a cnc plasma cutter so cutting the profile was not a big deal. However a plasma cutter won't cut the hole for the bolt accurately enough. A 10mm drill bit would have meant ordering it and then probably not having a lot of use for it later. I have a lathe and a bag full of R8 bearings so I decided I would just make a zero clearance motor pivot. The cup for the bearing is cut out of the leftover pipe.
IMG_1623.JPG

I often find myself wishing I could drill (or at least center drill) a hole pattern in a plasma cut part so I decided I want a second z axis with a drill head for just such occasions. There are a limited number of drills that will fit through the y-car of the mechmate, especially when there is a router is already mounted, so I made a contraption that would minimize the space required in the opening of the y-car. It is also made so that it will fit different drills by making a new bushing to fit the collar behind the drill chuck. I'll let you guys know how it works after I've used it a bit.

Notice more leftover pipe and R8 bearing.

IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG
Old Sat 07 May 2011, 11:16
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Love the motor pivot idea! Do you have any pics of the drill head mounted in the Z-axis?
Old Sat 07 May 2011, 12:53
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Brilliant idea on the long reach drill - I have a straight air drill that would work great in that application... an idea to copy for sure.
Old Sun 29 May 2011, 21:05
jasoncarter

Arkansas
United States of America
Jim here are some pics of the mounted drill head you requested. If I were going to build it again I think I would have extended the mounting plate on the drill extension down a few more inches and make a high mount and a low mount position. For most things it will probably hang down excessively. However, it was handy for center drilling the table cross members.
IMG_1628-1.JPG
IMG_1629-1.JPG
Attachment 11859

Here it is drilling the table. If anyone else does this, don't forget to square your gantry first. I think most people do this after the spoil board is mounted.
IMG_1680.JPG

I'll have to say I was shocked how much dust it generates. Dust collection will have to be on my short list of things to do.
IMG_1692.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1627-1.JPG (127.4 KB, 554 views)
Old Sun 29 May 2011, 21:28
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Jason, thanks a bunch! Looks good.
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 19:30
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Is it me or do I see Dust,Logos and Paint?
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 20:33
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Yes Sir, Dust, Logos, Paint and a Drill!
Old Mon 30 May 2011, 23:17
jasoncarter

Arkansas
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Is it me or do I see Dust,Logos and Paint?
Yes it is. Here are the particulars. I started in earnest on about Feb. 19th. The travel is 5'x11'. 11' seem like a weird number but I wanted enough room to cover 10' with dual z-axis.(I haven't started the second z-axis yet.) The cost for a little extra was nothing. I just wound up with less leftover metal. At some point I hope to have a rotary axis across the end as well.
Old Tue 31 May 2011, 08:46
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Very good work Jason. There are a lot of useful applications for a dedicated drill press.
Old Thu 02 June 2011, 20:40
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I like that drill for sure !!. Congrats on your build.. You get SN 82 !!
Old Thu 02 June 2011, 21:12
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Jason!
Old Fri 03 June 2011, 15:13
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Jason,

Congratulations on completing your MechMate build and earning Serial #82.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please review your entry and let me know any changes you want to make by PM or Reply to this post.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read