MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Dxf Library
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 18 February 2008, 14:19
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
A little helpful plugin for those running AutoCad.
DWGGateway, a free plugin by Solidworks will allow and AutoCad user V14 and above open and current to old release of drawings and back save them as well. It runs from the Menu in Autocad.
You can thank LEKO in Ohio. He found this plug in a few years ago and makes the Release 14 of AutoCad still useful in opening newer files.
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 04:24
Andy
Just call me: andy

Cornwall
United Kingdom
Hope I get this right... never played with message forums before.
Guy's I am new to MM forum, but I must comment on the cad conversion prog you shared, fantastic solution to big problem we have at work.
What a team!!
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 19:56
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Andy,
That was my enterprise solution to make the V14 autocad and above licenses usable in todays "upgrade" for thousands of dollars per software seat. I can't tell you how much money I have saved by using my old software. Heck, it works - why replace it?
Old Tue 06 May 2008, 21:56
Leko
Just call me: Leko

Kaukapakapa
New Zealand
AutoDesk also is offering TrueView and TrueConvert for free. TrueConvert basically lets you change AutoCad files between versions. TrueView will let you look at and zoom & rotate 3D and turn layers on & off in a whole array of AutoDesk products (Max, Maya, Microvellum...) and maybe (I can't remember, it's on my laptop and I can't check right now) I recall being able to look at some other types as well .stp files I believe.

So, there is another avenue although I'm sure one or the other (or both) will likely go away sometime. AutoDesk isn't known for their generosity, quite the contrary. They go after software hackers & pirates like fiends.
Old Fri 02 January 2009, 17:44
tman67
Just call me: tman67

Piedmont (MO)
United States of America
Another option...

Google has a free program called Sketchup.
It might be able to be converted into GCODE.

Also EMC2 has a free program.
http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/2/4/lang,en/
Old Fri 02 January 2009, 18:19
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
The free version of Sketchup does not export anything except google earth format (.kmz)
You have to pay $495us to have other export options which include .dxf
Old Sat 03 January 2009, 21:26
tman67
Just call me: tman67

Piedmont (MO)
United States of America
Sorry

My mistake I have the educational version. ( I teach at a public high school )
It allows to import/export.
Old Sat 03 January 2009, 23:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't know why schools allow heavily discounted / free software to be taught to students who will be obliged to pay the full price in later life. It's like giving free drugs to kids to get them hooked.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 04:02
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gearld,

I don't think that the schools think that far in the future. They are only thinking that they are making available software that will allow the students to learn how to use it. It is the same on the University level here also.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 19:52
Leko
Just call me: Leko

Kaukapakapa
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
I don't know why schools allow heavily discounted / free software to be taught to students who will be obliged to pay the full price in later life. It's like giving free drugs to kids to get them hooked.
G, I'm pretty sure you answered your own question. Getting them hooked is exactly the point.
Old Sun 04 January 2009, 22:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, but why do schools allow it? Shouldn't schools be more fussy about the software they accept as "gifts"? Priority one should be to make sure that the particular software is the market leader in the local job market.

Many times when I have tried to hire staff and looked at the candidate's CVs, their "exotic" software experience was traceable to a freebie that their school or college used.
Old Mon 05 January 2009, 00:37
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

Not all companies are going to participate. Also, new software comes out and how do you know which software is going to be the best at the end of 4 years or any time. I am sure the schools are getting lots of free stuff by offering to have the manufacture provide educational versions.
Old Mon 05 January 2009, 01:00
William McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
One thing which has bothered me over the years is that taxpayers are having to support the companies learning curves... some which are quite high... mostly due to the freebees and name recognition. I would submit that if teachers did not get discounts for many of these products, they would be using many more open source programs in the classroom...
Old Mon 05 January 2009, 05:20
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
programs like The big Solid Works, have a much cheaper version for students and teachers.

Logically, it is more costly for businesses, productivity-utility ratio.

It is important to learn the best programs available on the market, and others, if there is time.

The question is:
How to become a program, so big and good?
Old Fri 12 June 2009, 13:38
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
IBM and Apple and other companies have done it for years. Let kids be trained on their hardware/software, as they grow up to be 'managers' or 'purchasers' they are more likely to specify what they know, than 'the same old answer' that their predecessor did!

My son learned SolidWorks and MathLab in college. Went to work for an engineering firm, use these tools (they already had them) and solved a problem the firm expected would 'keep him busy all summer' in 3 days. Helped them remember why they bought the products, and why they possibly should have gone to those vendor training classes that they were 'too busy' to go to.
Old Mon 31 May 2010, 09:45
HomerSimpson
Just call me: Homer

Portland, Oregon
United States of America
Companies provide their software, which costs them millions of dollars to develop to schools at a discounted rate. This is a win-win. The schools and students get to use world class software for a very reasonable fee (a fee by the way, that would not support the development of it) and the companies hopefully attract future users of the software.

The "drug dealer" analogy, while I understand the intent of the comparison, is inappropriate. Students do not get addicted to something that will destroy their lives. They merely get exposed to a product that they may, or may not choose to use in their professional career.
Old Tue 01 June 2010, 06:14
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
The earlier you can hook them the better it is . The same apply for cad cam and cnc machine. Many cnc mfr included (FREE)cad cam sw, valued so much when you buy the machine ! This is another way to wedge themself up there.
Realy few people will ask for a rebate, instead they start with the (FREE) sw .Those new comer after short time start claiming that it is the best cad cam in the world .Even if it is the only one they know. That is marketing that is how you get people addicted

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read