MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 11 August 2009, 11:02
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Router mounts - adapting to the MM slide

Has anyone designed (or better yet, does anyone sell) a router mount for a Milwaukee 5625 which utilizes the MechMate alignment dowel setup?

I looked at the router mount available on ebay, but there's no drawing for it, and the photo suggests that it might not be tall enough to accommodate the alignment pins.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 11:37
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
I got a reply from K2cnc, and apparently the backplate is 2.5" tall x 5" wide.

The alignment holes in the slide are 3.15" apart vertically, and 5" wide will interfere with the rollers... I think.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 14:01
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Hi there, Jeff. I have the K2 mount, and it comes with 8 holes to mount. I used four of them and drilled and tapped my z-plate to mount. I don't know of any drawbacks, but it seems to work.

The mount does hit the bottem rollers but at the very top of the stroke, but I installed the stop to keep it from touching. I moved the mount down slightly to get some z-height back...someone else may know a better way.

I can take a picture later if you want to see it.

John
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 14:21
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
John, A few pix would be appreciated.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 16:20
Jeffn11
Just call me: Jeff

Greensboro, NC
United States of America
Actually I'm unhappy with my current router mount from k2cnc as well. I had to shim it out with some aluminum plate to make it miss my rollers and I also think I may have mounted it too high. I would love if someone designed and had a source for a new one that would be more in the vertical direction and use the dowel setup.
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 16:33
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Since the K2CNC is 'almost right', I wonder if they would take a 'constructive suggestion' to have a MechMate version available that would 'fix' those issues when used with a MechMate. Or some enterprising MMer might want to do that for us...
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 18:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
All commercial mounts I sourced needed modification or a step spacer block.
My only suggestion would be to make the pin/registration quick disconnect block and that will serve as the spacer and allow for your other mounts to work without issue.

The QD mount is great and I found gives me instant back up solution for when the spindle fails. I can mount the router quickly and keep production up.

The solution I think you ask for Jack is the QD mount in the drawing package.

Just my experience this month with the mount!
Old Tue 11 August 2009, 21:25
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Ah! I didn't even think of the advantages of having a quick disconnect...not yet in operator/production mindset. I will try Sean's suggestion.

Anyhow, here's how I have the K2 bracket mounted now and the interference.
Don't mind the extra holes on the plate...I goofed

100_1283.JPG

100_1288.JPG
Old Wed 12 August 2009, 07:46
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
John,
My K2 bracket for my porter cable looks exactly the same...almost.
The 1/2" alum spacer plate on the QD side made the clearance work.
Before I made the QD plate, I used 1/2" drill bushings and longer 10-32 bolts (i think that was the size) to move the plate out.

Spacers worked well until I made the plate.

Good luck!

SEan
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 00:41
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Even simpler! I'll do that until I get the spacer made...thanks for the tip, Sean.

John
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 05:31
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
John,
Looking at your pictures again I notice that you have the eccentrics installed perfectly per plan. You will have to clip the corners off the router mount to clear the hex head of the eccentric, or you have turn the eccentric around so the hex is BEHIND the bearing and you won't have to use the spacers. It will push the mount out the 1/2" you need.

It's a little harder to adjust the z-slide..but works.

Sean
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 22:28
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Thanks again, Sean. I had welded the spacers onto the spiderplate, so it was too late to flip the eccentrics around. I started grinding down the corners of the mount and I think that will work.

By the way, I had made my spacers by chucking them in a drill press and having at it with a grinder per your suggestion in another thread somewhere...that worked like a charm.
Old Tue 18 August 2009, 00:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Who is going to invite the mount/bracket builders (eg. K2CNC) to have a look at this thread and build mounts that will fit straight to a MM, including the locator pin/dowel holes and thread for quick release?

This .dxf should help (it is in mm)
Attached Files
File Type: dxf Bracket.dxf (85.2 KB, 138 views)
Old Mon 19 October 2009, 20:57
dacostad
Just call me: David

Los Angeles
United States of America
Hi all,

I do not have a MechMate (I built a Joe 4x4 Hybrid though) and neither do I have a Milwaukee 5625 router, but I was referred to this thread because as a sideline to my hobby work, I have been making mounts for the 80mm and 65mm diameter Chinese Spindles that people have been making (see http://www.spindlemounts.com).

I currently make these on my Seig KX1 CNC mill and I am not sure whether I have the working envelope available to me on this to help you guys (y axis max travel is 4.3").

However, I am about to upgrade to a bigger mill and would love to be able to help you guys out if there is sufficient demand.

However, as I previously mentioned I do not have a Mechmate so I would need some help with the design of the mount.

I would imagine that the total cost would be in the region of $100, however I would need to understand the dimensions/ design to finalize this number.

Let me know whether this is worth perusing.

David
Old Mon 19 October 2009, 21:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
David, I don't quite understand what you are trying to tell us, because I don't see how the MechMate requirement is any bigger than what you have made to date?

Did you open / study / understand the .dxf file in post #13?
Old Mon 19 October 2009, 21:27
dacostad
Just call me: David

Los Angeles
United States of America
Hi Gerald,

I did have a quick look at it in Solidworks eDrawing viewer, but as that does not show any dimensions I really need to load it up into my cad package and add dimensions.

My assumption is that the Milwaukee 5626 diameter is greater than 80mm which would probably put it outside my mill envelope. Of course my assumption may be wrong, but before I spent anytime looking at this I wanted to get a feel as to whether it is there is sufficient demand.

David
Old Mon 19 October 2009, 22:25
DeadGuy
Just call me: Dennis #51

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
These brackets were made today. Just need to make a back plate and they should work fine.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read