MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 30 September 2013, 22:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Ries,
Your work re-ignite my desire for a A-axis, would love to have a copy of your config file.

Thanks
Old Wed 02 October 2013, 06:45
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Hey Ken,

the little indexer was very easy to make and specially if you only do small parts once a while it will do fine. The citrus reamer I made took my like, two hours? (start to finnish) not really something I want to do for a living, but if you need that special part for some larger project, then yes it will benefit.

If you want I can send you some more close up photo's.
Old Sun 13 October 2013, 15:53
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Ken,

attached a copy of my config file.

Domino,
for the wizards are a tad expensive for what you get, so I haven't bought it.
Instead I am making my own little tool that can do what I need to do.

The idea is somewhat similar to Wizards by Rich, but since I wrote it myself I can whatever I need to do with it
At a minimum it will allow some general wizards, like making from round stock a square stock, it will do facing and wrapping, you can use it as a 'bin' to copy/paste your own G-Code in it so you don't have to keep them as separate files and thus organise them better. So, it will not be a tool 'just' for indexers but for general g-code.

At this moment it's project based and each project can have multiple operations and each operation can generate a g-code file, or if you have a ATC you can just create on large g-code with all operations. It can also manage your tools and tool numbers.

I am also planning to make it so that you can easily create your own wizards with input's and then generate some g-code out of that based on the groovy language.

This tool will work in Linux, Windows and OSX so it's multi-platform, just in case you prefer some OS better then a other OS, or when you want to run it on your CNC machine that runs MACH3 or Linuxcnc, it will all work.

If there is enough interest I will also combine it with OpenSCAM or at a minimum have it capable to view the generated toolpath for both indexers aswell as a XYZ table, that are just thought's and idea.
If I get enough 'developer' interest I will also open source this and have this tool available on github.

For now, I first want to create a stable version that can load/save data and have at least some wizards available. Current status is that the attached screens all work including a wizard that can create from a square stock of wood at make it round efficiently (shortest possible time), saving needs to be implemented still (that isn't very hard) and some form validation does need to be created still.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mechmate.zip (8.9 KB, 28 views)
Old Fri 21 August 2015, 10:17
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hello everybody!

Unfortunately I have to sell the Mechmate

It's currently located in storage here in Holland (N.H.).
It's a complete 'standard' build Mechmate with motors, spindle+driver, driver's (gecko's Vampire 5 pieces) cables and everything to get going. The only think that's not in a great shape is the CPU, it currently run's LinuxCNC and I guess seems everybody is using mach3 I think that needs to be replaced. Apart from that, everything is in working condition and currently in a well stored location.

The reason I am selling it is when I moved to holland I was hoping to get a garage or workshop of some sort but unfortunately the house we bought doesn't have that and there is not enough space to build that out.

If you know somebody or perhaps you a re interested let me know and we can see how we can work thing's out.

Ries
Old Fri 21 August 2015, 19:31
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Sorry that you must part with your #46, best of luck!
Mark
Old Sat 22 August 2015, 07:06
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Same here, Ries.
Old Sat 22 August 2015, 07:25
Hans
Just call me: Hans

Haarlem
Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to Hans
Cool

zo te zien zitten we in het zelfde schuitje . .
Old Sun 23 August 2015, 02:00
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Thank's for the kind words everybody!
Old Tue 08 September 2015, 15:29
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hey All,

I got a question from somebody and he asked:

Cutting 18mm multiplex in one pass, is that possible?

I always did cut that in two passes with a 10mm end mil and 2.2Kw spindle.

What sort of size (in Kw) Spindle would a person need to cut 18mm multiplex in one pass? I understand it depends what type of multiplex yada yada, but a ballpark estimate would be fine, jsut to give the guy and myself an idea. Properly a 20mm end mill but teh sort of Spindle, I am not sure.
Old Wed 09 September 2015, 03:08
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
From my experience that will need at a minimum a 5Kw spindle but a 7.5 or 10 would be better and yes a 20mm cutter would do it.
Old Sat 12 September 2015, 17:19
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
A compression bit does it in one pass, BUT, I'm not sure if a 2.2kw will push it. I've thought about buying a compression bit many times but never got around to it.
Old Sat 12 September 2015, 22:01
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Why would you want to do that ?!
I finish pass is a usually the good practice....if "nice" finish is needed / call for anyway !!.
Old Sun 13 September 2015, 04:03
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I think you would only cut things where you need speed and the finished edge doesn't matter, like case goods. I do know you need to have an excellent hold-down system or method in place because the side force is so great. There's a compression bit made by Vortex that the minimum feed rate is 650 ipm and cuts best around 1100 ipm in MDF, Lots of side force!
Old Sun 13 September 2015, 04:28
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Do you really need that kind of speed ??!
DO the math, not worth it unless it's a daily need at over....say 75% of CNC time usage !!!
Don't get "caught" in this....speed thing, just for the "sayk" of it....or to brag ???
My 2ct
Old Sun 13 September 2015, 06:55
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I completely agree Robert. These bits are used mostly by companies who need to cut 60 to 125 sheets of material daily. Quality over speed.
Old Mon 14 September 2015, 02:01
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
And they would be doing it on massively rigid big iron machines $$$$$...
Old Mon 14 September 2015, 03:41
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
...you mean....they also have MechMates !!....
Old Mon 14 September 2015, 06:39
clarson66
Just call me: Chris & Leon #100

Adelaide
Australia
I run a 10mm compression bit and cut my carcase material 16mm melamine on particle board, run the spindle at 12000rpm and feed rate at 5m/min. I find as long as scale the spindle rpm down to match the feed rate it's fine. The bit according to the manufacturer should be run 24000 rpm and minimum of 10m/min. Chip free cutting and no problems yet.

Just my 2c worth
Old Wed 16 September 2015, 08:27
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Very interesting info!

When I worked with my machine I never had the luxury for such bit's, then again.. it was just hobby and I was fine with a couple of passes.
Old Fri 09 October 2015, 03:14
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hey Guys,

the Mechmate is sold!
I had a wonderful time here on the forum, even though I haven't been very active on the last few years. Although it sounds strange, one project that was the result of the Mechmate was LibreCAD. It's still a very active project and we have had over 1.3million downloads just on sf.net on the windows version. The project is still very active and we have a few maintainers that are working hard on LibreCAD version 2, they are great guys and deserve all the credit now on LibreCAD and it's development.

bye all!
Old Fri 09 October 2015, 03:22
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well Ries we hope you can still hang out in the forum. I'm sure imparting your experience can be beneficial to those who are here. Best of luck with your future endeavors.
Old Fri 09 October 2015, 18:24
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Best wishes to you Ries.
Mark
Old Fri 09 October 2015, 20:31
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I would like to request you to see if the new owners join and participate too!

Don't drop away, keep up to date with the LibreCAD tool chain too!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read