MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 24 November 2008, 20:12
robertmonroe
Just call me: Robert

El Paso
United States of America
Going for it! 5'x10' build. - El Paso, USA

Going to build a 5'x10' MechMate. I've been needing a CNC Router for decades but money was always the problem. Most 5'x10' low end CNCrouters configured the way I want would be $15,000-$20,000 USD minimum. If I had the money I would just buy one.

I could round up 4-5 thousand dollars over the next three months so I have decided to build a MechMate 5'x10' with vacuum hold down.

I'm not going to do the actual metal fabricating since I don't have the tools but a fellow here in town is really good metal fabricator. I have worked with him building some other tools and fixtures and he is reasonably priced.

I noticed on the forum that laser cut parts are mentioned can those parts be plasma cut? OK I'll read through all the documentation and get started ASAP. I hope to have the unit complete by January.

Thisis going to be a very exciting project!

Robert
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 20:53
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
I'm curious about adding routing spindles vs routers. I'm not asking which is better or why as there are plenty of resources regarding the pros and cons of both routers and spindles.

I just want to know about configuring a MechMate to use spindles.

I also noticed that there is made mention that the MechMate is mostly designed for sheets so what is the Z depth of the cut that can be expected on the MechMate.

Robert
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 21:42
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
OK I saw on the forum where spindles are no problem. I'll start with a router, he-he.
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 21:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome Robert

Plasma cutting will be okay(ish) for the part outlines, but it won't give you the small details of holes and slots. It won't give you the tabs/slots where the parts slot together for the y-car's welding.

Lots of stuff here on spindles: Toolheads

On the height of the workpiece: 350mm [14"] Extended Z-Slide - what does it mean?
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 22:34
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
So basically what I'm doing is vacuum forming ABS Plastic 4'x8' sheets and I want to trim the edges and drill the holes with the CNC. Of course I also want to use it for other things such as for creating the tools, holding fixtures, etc.. Sometimes I work with Baltic Birch 3/4" that comes in 5'x5' sheets that's why I want to build a 5'x10' machine.

The Maximum depth pieces will be 4" but I can flip the sheets ABS sheets over to rout them so that the router bit does not have to have a 4" cut.

Perhaps and adjustable table. For 4" parts do I need to bother dropping the table?

Robert
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 22:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
4" parts will be okay on the standard MM table (with 6 rollers in the z-slide).
Old Mon 24 November 2008, 22:55
robertmonroe

El Paso
United States of America
4" is good, then I'm golden! Hey by the way this website is fantastic. I only found out about it a couple of days ago but have been researching CNC routers for a while. It did not take me long to learn this is a great option.

I've built some tools before and have been designing and fabricating prototypes for 25 years so I'm pretty good in a shop and feel confident that I can fabricate a very good MechMate. Building a good CNC can be complicated so I really appreciate what this whole MechMate is about this way my metal fabricator, electronic engineer and I can build this by following the plans and based on the machines others have built i have a lot of confidence in the knowledge available here. The fact that someone would do this for free is just amazing. Obviously for people like me who always wanted a good quality CNC that can handle large sheets MechMate is a dream come true.

So a huge thanks to everyone who put this site together and the members of this forum who help people like me out.
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 15:55
Artesan
Just call me: Danny

Kent
United Kingdom
Can the MM be made to handle horizontal boring, say for dowelling the ends of cabinet parts. If so then how is this achieved?
Old Mon 16 February 2009, 16:17
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I can think of some creative ways to handle this, but first: How large are the parts you want to bore, and how large and deep will the holes be?
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 14:08
Artesan

Kent
United Kingdom
The horizontal drilling would usually be done on the ends of kitchen cabinet bottoms. Panels are normally 18mm MFC, any width from 300-600mm. The lenghts would vary depending on the width of the cabinet. Widest cabinets are usually 1000mm, so the bottom panel would be 964mm.
The holes are 8mm dia. x 15mm deep
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 21:12
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
As a starting thought, maybe this is a vertical drilling application.

Could you fashion a large vice/clamp at the end of your spoilboard to allow holding the panel in place vertically, and then drilling down using your mechmate? You may need to ensure that your MM is tall enough to accomodate your largest anticipated panels.
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 01:57
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Brad,

Gary Campbell on the ShopBot site has a working vacuum system he uses for handling boards at the end of the table. I couldn't locate the link. Gary has a number of inventive solutions that he has developed and is using. I will keep looking for it.
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 14:58
Artesan

Kent
United Kingdom
I like the idea of clamping the panels to the end of the spoilboard. This could be jigged up quite easily.
I suppose my initial thoughts were if there could be a second spindle mounted horizontally. Now I think of it, this would probably be way too much work to achieve.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read