MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 04 July 2007, 07:48
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Integrated PC & Control Cabinet - Wilmington NC

Hello Everyone

I would like to start off by thanking Gerald for providing the web site and plans for the MechMate.also I would like to thank all the others here for there great post, pictures ,support etc. I am not only speaking for myself when I say I have been dreaming for years about owning a CNC router.I was looking to buy one a few weeks back. while look around the net I found the Shopbot forum after reading for only 10min. I found this site.after reading for a few min. I knew this was what I wanted to build. here I am gathering materials.

And not to forget anyone I had the pleasure to met one forum member His name is JR .He is building one nice machine what a great inspiration to meet him and see his work. Thanks JR.

My name home town an state below Thanks

Gene
Wilmington NC
cbboatworks@aol.com

Last edited by cbboatworks; Wed 04 July 2007 at 08:14..
Old Fri 15 February 2008, 07:06
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
It has been over 6 months since I said I was going to start my build... well, I did not have much time and lots of other things came up in that 6 months. So now I have finally found the time to start. I started last week with the control box and will post pictures as I go. Please note that the first few pictures are not much to look at but it is a start. My box was inspired by JR & Marc...so, not all my ideas. What I have done is mounted my PC inside of the control box and also have added panel mounted usb hubs and the CDR is accessible from the bottom of the box without having to open the front panel. I have added a touch screen monitor to the box that is also flush mount. I will keep the pictures coming.Please note the cutouts for the Geckos are a little wobbley and have been straightened since that picture was taken.

Thanks

Last edited by cbboatworks; Fri 15 February 2008 at 07:14..
Old Sat 16 February 2008, 12:41
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
That's super sharp Gene. I'm envious.
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 17:29
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Ford View Post
That's super sharp Gene. I'm envious.
Thanks Doug for the kind feedback,

Gene
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 17:40
myozman
Just call me: Mike #16

Demotte,IN
United States of America
Gene,
What a good idea. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your control box? Did you have to do some mods for air flow? The computer, touchscreen and power supply have to put out some serious heat. Just trying to get some ideas before I jump-in with both feet. I think control box/ power supply are going to be the most difficult for me, still learning.
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 17:55
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gene,

Where did you buy your Touch Screen and PC?

What you got looks good!
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 17:56
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Just a few pictures of the box as I am taking it apart and pre pairing it for paint on Tuesday. also I am going to answer this question before anyone ask. the little red momentary switch is to cut the PC on and the two little LED's are part of the onboard PC as well. Thanks

Gene

Old Mon 18 February 2008, 18:10
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by myozman View Post
Gene,
What a good idea. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your control box? Did you have to do some mods for air flow? The computer, touchscreen and power supply have to put out some serious heat. Just trying to get some ideas before I jump-in with both feet. I think control box/ power supply are going to be the most difficult for me, still learning.
myozman
As much as I would like to take the credit for this idea.. I can't.. The idea come from JR & Marc. as for The heat the Touch Screen puts out no heat. I have four fans that will be mounted behind each gecko to cool them. Thank you for looking

Gene
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 18:13
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
Gene,

Where did you buy your Touch Screen and PC?

What you got looks good!
Sailfl

I bought two of them off of Ebay. both where new.

Gene
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 20:09
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Gene,

Nice work. I like the touch screen. There's no way anyone can build just one MM. So many ideas, your gonna build more.
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 22:15
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Elegant Gene, Just elegant.
Bravo....
Old Tue 19 February 2008, 07:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gene,
I like the touch screen too. Did you have any problems getting it to run with windows and Mach? Driver issues or anything?
Old Tue 19 February 2008, 07:52
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Gene, I enjoyed talking on the phone the other day it just reinforces the idea that this machine is whatyou make of it great job and everyone has great ideas it is going to be hard to come up with a final decision on which route to follow.
Old Tue 19 February 2008, 09:10
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Gene,
I like the touch screen too. Did you have any problems getting it to run with windows and Mach? Driver issues or anything?
domino11

I did not have any problems at all. It took around 5 min to install and start playing. so far it looks and works great. I have a mini key board that I will be using along with the touch screen as well. I will post a few pictures of it.
Thanks

Gene
Old Tue 19 February 2008, 09:23
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Gene, I enjoyed talking on the phone the other day it just reinforces the idea that this machine is whatyou make of it great job and everyone has great ideas it is going to be hard to come up with a final decision on which route to follow.
Craig it was a pleasure talking with you as well. I know you will build a great machine.. just like everyone else who has completed or that is now starting the MM. there is so much info on this forum and not enough time to take it all in. Thanks

Gene
Old Tue 19 February 2008, 15:25
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Here is the Key board that I will be using along with the Touch Screen:

Old Tue 19 February 2008, 22:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That keyboard will give you tricky "cursor" control for the z-axis, having the page up/down combined with the up/down arrows. Also, you want a Shift button near the cursors for jog speeds. Mach3 is "optimised" for the long keyboard. You will have to get a remote!
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 07:21
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
That keyboard will give you tricky "cursor" control for the z-axis, having the page up/down combined with the up/down arrows. Also, you want a Shift button near the cursors for jog speeds. Mach3 is "optimised" for the long keyboard. You will have to get a remote!
Gerald

Thanks for pointing that out... I did not even notice that there was no shift key near the up/down cursor. if it makes a difference I will be using a shuttle pro II along with the key board. Thanks
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 08:23
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Gene, there are apparently ways of re-mapping a keyboard's buttons, and I have heard of guys coding their keys with different colours. The arcade game builders are the fundis at this.

The IPAC was all the rage with the Mach guys about 3 years ago - very seldom mentioned these days. (needs a tiny capacitor on each line to make it immune to noise in our environment)
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 11:22
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
It is a great feeling to see some MM blue of my own.

Last edited by cbboatworks; Wed 20 February 2008 at 11:27..
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 13:36
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
mmmm. automotive paint. nice
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 13:42
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ouch,
My eyes, my eyes.
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 14:56
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
mmmm. automotive paint. nice
Sean

The paint is Imron 3.5 HG Industrial. It is used on park rides, industrial machines etc. It is a single stage two part paint great stuff... It is the same as the automotive Imron 5000 but much cheaper. I have been using it for sometime now and love it. Thanks for posting
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 17:39
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gene,
Is that paint hard to find? I really like the finish. What kind of thinner does it require?
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 17:58
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
That's absolutely beautiful. Great work.
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 18:17
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Gene,
Is that paint hard to find? I really like the finish. What kind of thinner does it require?

The paint can be bought a most auto paint stores that sell Dupont products. it is a two part paint so you will need to buy the paint,activator and urethane reducer.also if it is cold when you paint you will need a accelerator.

Paint is Imron 3.5 HG
Activator part# VGM-6005
you need to ask the person at the paint store to give you the same brand of accelerator.

(NOTE This is very Toxic paint so Please use a NIOSH Respirator)

http://www.bennette.com/pdf/Imron3-5HG.pdf

Last edited by cbboatworks; Wed 20 February 2008 at 18:32..
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 18:50
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Ford View Post
That's absolutely beautiful. Great work.
Doug

Thanks.
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 18:55
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
For the folks that will ask what gun do you use. I have a $550.00 Sata jet Digital 2000...But get this my $14.99 Harbor freight gun puts down a better finish. so if any of you have ?s on what gun to buy. Dig deep into your pockets at get out that $14.99. I use the harbor freight gun on everthing I paint.

47016-4VGA
Central Pneumatic Professional 20 OZ. GRAVITY FEED SPRAY GUN.
Online the gun is listed for $24.99 in the store it is $14.99

Last edited by cbboatworks; Wed 20 February 2008 at 18:58..
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 19:17
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Looks great, Gene. Thanks for the paint job!
Old Wed 20 February 2008, 19:57
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gene,
Interestingly you mention the HF gun at 15 dollars. At my shop, where labor cost more per hour than the cost of 3 guns....I buy these by the case. It's easier to toss-the-gun after spraying some materials than actually cleaning it and paying the guy to sit on the clock and "clean up everything 3 times".
...just the penny pinching boss man talking

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read