MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 18 September 2008, 10:12
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Had a transformer built - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi, this is intended to be the future build log of my MM, it may take a long time to have pictures posted, but I started modelling in CAD my future machine, so I will need a place to make questions, this will be that place.

My 3D model is being made in Solidworks, which also has a very nice and free viewer that allows anyone wanting to view and comment my progress to be able to see it without installing the full CAD package.

This free viewer can be downloaded HERE

Here is a photo of what I've done so far:

The biggest board size available here in Argentina is 3050x1850 so I designed around this size.

Main Longitudinal lenght is 3650mm and beams are 200x75mm C channels at 25.5kg/m
Cross bearer lenght is 2270mm with 80x45mm C channels at 8.7kg/m
Table pipes are 50.8mmx3.2mm wall section.
Total weight so far: 520Kg

Now, here I start with questions, please be patient, I suck at reading 2D blueprints and I may be asking stupid questions every now and then

I want to be able to split the machine in parts like Gerald did in this photo:
"

Once you assemble both sides, are the cross bearers bolted or welded?

Pablo
Attached Files
File Type: zip 10-Table (incomplete).zip (87.5 KB, 332 views)
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 10:21
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Bolted
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 14:12
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
In 10.10.240 steel angle, the photo shows an already machined profile or I should start with a dissimilar sides L angle?

I can find this profile everywhere here.

Thanks!
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 15:17
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Nevermind, I found the answer in the forums, a month here and I'm still discovering the place
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 18:07
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
HI Pablo, I can help u with few parts - let me know if you want me to model a few part - give me the part numbers - I use SW2008 though.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 19:43
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Hi Irfan, very kind of you

But, if you help me it defeats the purpose of the effort Im taking to draw it, which is learn how to read the blueprints & assemble the machine.

BTW, section 10, the table, is finished, now the fun part begins, the Y gantry, it should be easy, I have all the parts already modeled, mmm, not really, motors & rack/pinion still need to be drawn, but I will leave the R&P till I know what can I find here.

Today I called a couple of steel supliers (both local) and the price differences between them was around 30%
The 200x75x3650mm UPN profile best price was USD235 each, I need to shop more, Im sure I can lower this still more.

Attached is the finished table model.

cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 10-Table (complete).zip (101.8 KB, 361 views)
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 20:23
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Pablo the table looks a little close to the left end of the rails to me. It could just be the angle of the drawing, double check and see? Can't wait to see it finished so far it looks pretty cool.
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 06:48
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
JR, you are right, its maybe a little to the left, I used this image as a reference:

and this was my previous comparative view:

I re-did it and now it looks like this:

Now the rail stops are outside the workspace, I guess this is the correct arrangement

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 10-Table (complete).zip (103.8 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by PEU; Fri 19 September 2008 at 07:03..
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 07:08
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Pablo, have you enabled measurement on the edrawing file? also apply material so that we can estimate the weights of the individual parts.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 09:05
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Irfan, I just reopened the file and yes you can measure everything, go to the measuring tape on the left toolbar and once there a new measuring tape icon appears on the middle of the left panel.

Current weight is 550Kg
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 09:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, no. 4 cross-support channel from the right . . . . how are you fixing that to the big beam?

I tried to point the cross-support channel legs to the center of the table.
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 09:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I get the impression that you did not see on the drawing that the table is 100mm off the center of the legs and x-rails? (You seem to be guessing a distance above?)
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 12:09
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Pablo, no. 4 cross-support channel from the right . . . . how are you fixing that to the big beam?

I tried to point the cross-support channel legs to the center of the table.
I missed that one, I guess because it was hidden behind the leg, already corrected this

Quote:
I get the impression that you did not see on the drawing that the table is 100mm off the center of the legs and x-rails? (You seem to be guessing a distance above?)
You are correct, I saw just today the mention about the centerlines, also corrected this, attached is the new model.

BTW, is ok to keep attaching files? I can host them in my site if you want. I see a red bar in the attachment screen that moves to a full position, how do I remove old/obsoleted attachments?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 10-Table (complete).zip (102.5 KB, 176 views)
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 12:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Unfortunately you cannot remove attachments.
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 22:22
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Not sure if I will be able to draw during the weekend, I advanced a little today, here is a picture and then take a look at the attachment. Curious minds will look for the animation button

I hope fit is the same in the real world, CAD models provided by Gerald are purrrrfect!

Pablo
Attached Files
File Type: zip 10.20-Table+Bridge.zip (286.9 KB, 429 views)
Old Fri 19 September 2008, 23:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Do you want me to delete some of your older attachments, or posts?
Old Sat 20 September 2008, 08:18
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Do you want me to delete some of your older attachments, or posts?
Feel free to delete old attachments, I wanted to spare you this job, but it seems VBulletin is configured to not allow edits after a day or so. The latest attachment includes work done in previous posts.

Delete posts? did I say something improper? Im sure I asked some dumb questions already, but its part of the learning process

cheers!
Old Sat 20 September 2008, 08:30
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I have configured this vbulletin so that users cannot delete their attachments. However, I will delete things on request. Sometimes, if only the attachment is deleted, then the post no longer makes sense - that's why I offered to delete posts as well. (It is easier for me to delete a whole post with attachment)

People who have posted a lot of stuff get their limit increased - but there is always a limit. (Sometimes I copy a post to another thread, and that chews into your limit because an attachment is then posted twice.)
Old Sun 21 September 2008, 22:29
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Comment on post #15.. I think the Y-car should turn 180 degrees..your long side of the table is on the right hand side of this drawing. If you fit your router/spindle to view it from the right hand side, then the car is wrong on this impression....I think...otherwise very nice to see it like this, wish I had it like this when I did my build.
Old Sun 21 September 2008, 23:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, that view looks right to me.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 01:19
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
You are right again...0.0 will be on the top left hand side on that drawing......that is why I said.... I think....I should not THINK.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 04:05
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
To make it clear:

Old Mon 22 September 2008, 07:35
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
In this view . . . .

. . . . . you should see M1 30 332 P. The y-motor goes on the other side.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 20:40
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nice model. I wish it had been produced when I was building.
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 03:18
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Pablo

Very nice drawings. You are doing an excellent job.
Old Thu 25 September 2008, 11:15
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Thanks for the nice words, been busy these last days, I will start drawing the Z axis in a few days
Old Mon 29 September 2008, 14:16
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
I started drawing the Z axis, I have one question (maybe more to come)

why 10.40.334 is not laser cut?

I mean, I can ask this piece to be cut from heat hardenable steel if needed.
And to make things simpler (at least for me) I own a small CNC mill (*) I can use for drilling holes before hardening them

Or Im missing something here?

Thanks!

(*) I represent Syil CNC machines here in Argentina.
Old Mon 29 September 2008, 21:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I very much doubt that you can get that part cut economically from a "tool steel" from a standard laser supplier. Get us some prices and then we can talk again.
Old Wed 01 October 2008, 16:58
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Question regarding M1.20.210 excentric bush: whats the purpose of using excentric bushings vs. a concentric one?

Thanks for un-dumbing me
Old Wed 01 October 2008, 19:57
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Pablo,

Eccentric bushings allow you to do two things. 1) You can tighten up the tolerances between the V-rollers and the Z axis. 2) You can adjust the Z axis so that it is perpendicular to the table.

The way you do that is by using a wrench on the hex head of the bushings until they are in the right position and then you tighten the allen head bolts that pass through them. Very ingenious engineering on Gerald's part.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read