MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 15 February 2014, 14:16
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Cutting Aluminum foam core

Does anyone happen to know if a Chinese spindle, 4kw, would be able to handle cutting 1/8" aluminum foam core board? I have one small project I need to cut some windows out of it and bend it. The aluminum looks to be super thin and I'm sure that others cnc it, I just don't want to risk any bearing problems on my router.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Sun 16 February 2014, 03:41
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
I've just come inside from cutting 3mm PVC sandwiched between aluminium (ACM), I guess foam is easier.
I use a 3kw spindle, 2mm single flute at 800mm/min. If I was using a larger bit I would cut faster.
Add a bit of air for cooling and leave the protective cling plastic on until after cutting seems to pull the 'hairy' stuff off.

Good luck
Old Tue 18 February 2014, 00:26
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks! What are you setting your spindle speed at? Also down ur or upcut o flute?
Old Tue 18 February 2014, 13:27
Quadro

South Australia
Australia
Spindle speed fastest (I don't know exact rpm). Up cut bit.
For miter joints i use a modified 90 deg cutter on the fold lines and cut not quite all the way through.
To modify the 90 deg cutter I just ground the tip of so that there was about 0.5mm flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-02-19 06.34.10.jpg (66.9 KB, 225 views)
Old Tue 18 February 2014, 16:52
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Very nice! Do you place the presentation face face up or face down? Looks fantastic! Thanks for the help.
Old Wed 19 February 2014, 02:41
Quadro

South Australia
Australia
Cut face down.
Old Wed 19 February 2014, 15:59
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
4mm single flute + 90 degree 2mm flat point

up to 4000mm/min

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read