MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 22 April 2009, 01:47
GBCSL
Just call me: Greg

London
United Kingdom
New UK member........but with a twist

Hi to all here on the forum. I stumbled onto this site yesterday whilst browsing the web for CNC machines - and it's grabbed my interest and got me totally hooked. Must have spent 6 hours yesterday taking as much in as possible. Completely new to CNC'ing but I love a challenge and building one of these beasties ticks all those boxes + I'd end up with a machine with huge business potential for the woodworking trade.

I'm a South African (Durban born and bred) that has been living in the UK for 16 years now, but looking to return to SA in the coming months. I'm a joiner / cabinetmaker by trade and was looking at buying a Pacer K Series CNC router before I found this site. It seems that a MechMate could be built for significantly less than the Pacer machine and doesn't seem to be lacking in many of the features required. Very excited to get a build underway.

I am confident in the use of metalworking tools and have a large tool collection built up over the last 15 years (both woodworking and mechanical). Also AutoCAD 2D trained so part way there in being able to take my designs to CNC production although I know it's going to be a steep learning curve on the 3D and CNC control software.

Very happy to find so many South Africans here and the main man is one too. Bonus - even if he is a Stormers supporter. (Sorry Gerald this new member is a diehard Sharks supporter )

I look forward to getting to know you all better through the forum, and to be able to pick your experienced brains as I progress with a build. Once I get started my target would be to have one built and operational within 4/5 months. How many have been built so far?

On to my first build question:

Would I be better off to source and purchase my components here in the UK or in SA? My budget is not restricted (within reason) and I'd be looking to build a well specced and fairly large machine capable of processing boards up to 3050 x 1850mm. Would also prefer to have the 14" Z axis length provided this doesn't compromise finish too much due to less stability. Also not sure whether to spec a spindle or use a router at this stage. Presume the spindle advantages are mainly the ability to handle heavier duty cycles and being more robust and powerful than a modified handheld router.

Any estimates on what components for such a machine would likely cost in either Rands or £££?
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 03:34
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

Welcome to the fun and thanks for the nice comments. Before we didn't have anyone from those English Islands now the word is out.

Since I am from the states, I can not answer your question on the place to buy your build needs but you will get an answer soon.

Good luck with your build. It is a great machine.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 04:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Greg

Steel, gears, racks, cables (ie big stuff) is easy and cheap in SA. Some stuff (motors, controls, drives - electrical) is best imported from USA (or UK) and the import costs are very steep. Since you plan to move back soon, suggest you build the control box over there, and then build the rest here. There is a UK company with an excellent reputation in supplying the electrical components, with a twist.

A quick estimate of R50 000 will get you into production.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 05:51
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
Fantastic. Your suggestion makes sense as no point shipping heavy steel etc if it's cheaper there. One thing I do love about the UK is the buying power of the pound. Reading the other thread, it seems 'Groot Ernie' at Motion Control Products is the man to deal with. (Saffers in every corner of the world)

Which (if any) of these CNC kits will do the job on a big format MechMate? http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....ex.php?cPath=5
It would be great to just be able to give Ernie a full list of all components needed and tell him to make sure he uses a really sharp pencil for his quote.

Also who in SA could supply the rest of the heavy gear? I'd like to get an order placed before my arrival for all remaining components, so that it's ready for me to get cracking. Would be happy to place an order now on the basis of a recommendation from the members here.

As I will be shipping my family's personal effects there will be room for a few other 'imports' if anyone needs anything brought over without the dreaded import tariffs. I'm sure a reasonable trade of space in my container, in exchange for build guidance, could be arranged.

Gerald, finally, does your quick estimate of R50000 include every component (excl build/paint/assembly labour & software) to get a fully functional machine? I already have AutoCAD LT 2008 for 2D CAD drawing, but would need the 3D and CNC software too. Which is the best to go for that is universally used?

Questions, questions, questions I know, but I'm really excited to get one built.

Great news. R50000 is within my budget. Where do I start? Will 'Groot Ernie' at Motion Control Products know what to quote me on for a large scale MechMate? Presume the estimate doesn't include software requirements? I already have AutoCAD LT 2008 for the 2D drawing.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 06:50
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Greg,

Welcome to the Forum. You seem to be off to a great start.

I finished my MM this month in just under 4 months. As Gerald suggested for you, I built the Control Box first. You'll need your stepper motors too, so you can test that the Control Box can drive the steppers.

Happy building!
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 07:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, I retrieved your original post from the spam trap above.

Ernie will not have a list of what makes up a MM kit, and the rest of us are loathe to supply lists as well. Unfortunately you are going to have to do a lot more reading and get your own list together. The basic items that you need to find (and figure out your exact supplier & part numbers) are:

4 x Motors
4 x Drives for the motors
1 x Power supply for the 4 drives
1 x Parallel port Breakout Board for your PC to be able to communicate with the machine using Mach3 or LinuxCNC

You can build a Power Supply easy & cheap in SA, but you need one in the UK if you are building the controls there.

As I said, I am loathe to supply more detailled lists because there are so many variables. This MechMate forum was put together to save myself from having to provide lists!
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 07:38
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
No problem Gerald, I understand fully. My homework has been set then. Lots and lots of reading ahead . I promise to use the search function as much as possible to save asking the same questions as have been dealt with before.

Thanks for reinstating my earlier post.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 07:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
AutoCAD LT is more than enough to get you started, and it does do 3D. (It is a very common belief that LT is limited to 2D, but we have always used it 3D)
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 08:06
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
Great, only used LT in 2D so far so will have to sharpen my skills on it's full capability.

Perhaps the most daunting part of getting started for me is the electronics / control side of things. Would it be ok to do my research, chose my parts and then check here if they'll work before I shell out to buy them? The last thing I want to do is buy a load of control gear / motors etc only to have someone say 'Oh those are the wrong ones / Those won't work because of .......' Better to ask the advice of those that know, than make a costly newbie mistake. Please don't take this as me being lazy or not willing to fully understand my machine. It's more a legacy of my joinery days 'Measure twice, cut once'.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 08:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, that's perfectly okay. Tell us what you selected and why you selected it.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 09:09
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
Thanks. Am I right in thinking that there is no build manual as such and it is more a case of reading the different sections of the forum which deal with each part of the build? If that's the case, this process could take me a while. I'm very particular about fine detail and am well known for reading every page of a user manual before switching any new appliance on - my wife thinks I'm crackers........
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 09:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That's right, there is no manual other than what is written here at the forum (with some clutter and sidetracks). Makes it more entertaining, don't you think?

The sticky threads (highlighted above the other threads) are the more important ones to read.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 10:23
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCSL View Post
- my wife thinks I'm crackers........
we got a similarity here - same with my WIFE!
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 11:13
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Welcome Greg.Where will your new destiation be ?Back to Durban?
There should be someone in one of the city`s that you can ask for help when you are back in the country.
We would like to help.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 11:53
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Hennie, we will be in Durban for the first year whilst we build our house in Hilton near PMB. Looking forward to that warm African sun again. Can't wait to leave the grey English skies behind, even though living here for the last 16 years has set me up fairly well financially. Money doesn't buy true happiness and I know where I belong.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 22:40
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Welcome (nearly home) Greg...from a guy that lived and worked in Holland for 5 years. There is only one HOME and Kwa Zulu Natal is THE BEST...VIVA SHARKS !!

By the time you get back you could take a drive up to Empangeni to see Johan (LEX) as he is in the process of building his MM. If in JHB then my door is alway's open.

On that SPARE Capacity in the container...I would love to have an extra MotionKing stepper for the 4th axis that I plan for the future....I did not buy from Ernie as the prices directly from MotionKing in China was cheaper, but let's find out the price and see if it is an option.

Good luck with the reading.....it will take a while, but ALL the answers to get started is available on this fantastic forum.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 23:50
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Welcome Greg from another SHARKS supporter!
I live just north of Empangeni. I have been a Zululander for the last 25 years.
Enjoy your build and good luck.
Old Fri 24 April 2009, 01:36
GBCSL

London
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Welcome (nearly home) Greg...from a guy that lived and worked in Holland for 5 years. There is only one HOME and Kwa Zulu Natal is THE BEST...VIVA SHARKS !!

By the time you get back you could take a drive up to Empangeni to see Johan (LEX) as he is in the process of building his MM. If in JHB then my door is alway's open.

On that SPARE Capacity in the container...I would love to have an extra MotionKing stepper for the 4th axis that I plan for the future....I did not buy from Ernie as the prices directly from MotionKing in China was cheaper, but let's find out the price and see if it is an option.

Good luck with the reading.....it will take a while, but ALL the answers to get started is available on this fantastic forum.
Hi Kobus. My brother lives in JHB so may take you up on that offer to visit you. More than happy to help you with getting hold of some extra motors. Have to ship an entire house contents + 2 cars so there will be loads of room. Find out your prices etc from Ernie and I may even be able to collect for you as they are in Bournemouth and I visit there fairly frequently as my wife's parents live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Welcome Greg from another SHARKS supporter!
I live just north of Empangeni. I have been a Zululander for the last 25 years.
Enjoy your build and good luck.
The wheels have fallen off recently with the Sharks. I couldn't believe the loss to the Cheetahs. Got a lot of stick off of a mate here who is a Cheetahs fan. Will be in touch on my return as I'm bound to need all the help I can get.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read