MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 29 June 2009, 08:36
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Confederations Cup background noise

Hi Gerald and other South African members, I have one question, what is that noise, background noise, you hear all, and I mean ALL THE TIME during football matches?
When I heard it on TV (during the match Brasil-USA) it sounded like a mosquito hum, very annoying to the untrained ear.

Old Mon 29 June 2009, 10:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Vuvuzela

http://www.southafrica.info/2010/vuvuzela.htm

http://allafrica.com/stories/200906290104.html

Also look at the makarapa
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 12:05
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Pablo,
They have provided an electronic solution for your problem: its called the mute button.

But yes, I agree with you, the incessant droning on a single note can be very annoying. A single note musical instrument cannot be called that, its just a noise maker. A lot of people are asking whether this is the "African culture". To me it sounds like a fog horn.

IMHO they should have used dancing, drums, clapping and singing. My fellow country citizens have a wonderful talent for singing a capela. The Soweto Gospel Choir is a prime example of such singing. www.sowetogospelchoir.com

Jan
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 20:03
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
I see... we have these horns here too, but they aren't used to make a constant humming noise.

Is it a new football tradition or was used at other sports before too?
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 22:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
It is a fairly new South African football tradition (over about 10 years) because of a plastics company whose design and marketing was good.

The noise at the Confed was bad because most of the crowd were locals who were given cheap tickets and transport. I think that the high prices of World Cup tickets next year will result in less vuvuzelas.
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 00:26
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
If you dared to use a vuvuzela during a rugby game, you will face the uncomfortable situation of either you inside the vuvuzela or the vuvuzela inside you!

I agree with Gerald, the plastics company saw the gap and made millions and now its called culture. Culture my .....

SAFA missed the golden opportunity to create an awesome, truly African experience by organising singing, dancing and clapping for the spectators.
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 00:36
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Maybe they should sell these things with a trumpet mouthpiece...at least they will then be able to play the LAST POST for their team
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 00:40
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Jan I agree with you stand next to one of those things when it is blown and you get airborne,they don`t need a vuvuzela to make noise
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 20:40
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan de Ruyter View Post
If you dared to use a vuvuzela during a rugby game, you will face the uncomfortable situation of either you inside the vuvuzela or the vuvuzela inside you!
LMAO!

The other day I heard that Argentina may be invited to the 3 nations as a new participant beginning in 2011 or 2012 after our great performance in the last rugby world cup.
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 00:12
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Pablo,
Would love to see the Argentinians as part of the 3(4) nations. They play a different game of rugby than SA and always come up with some surprise. But that is how the game must be. I will refrain from commenting on the behaviour of one of the players originating from the southern part of SA against the Lions this weekend as I might need Gerald's help at a later stage.

Jan

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read