MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 24 February 2008, 13:10
r56554
Just call me: red

lake park, mn
United States of America
Hello Everyone - Lake Park, MN

I am new to this site and have been reading up on the MechMate CNC Router. First off Gerald you have a very nice machine and thank you for the plans that can be down loaded. I am from Minnesota and also wonder if there are any fellow builders in this area. I have been looking at buying one ready to go but the cost is way up there and after I came across this site I started to think why not built one. I have my own shop with lot of fabricating equipment to make this work and both my son and I have many years of fabricating experience. As I look at the plans I would like to increase the size some, as I plan on using the machine for cutting aluminum parts. The sheets stock is 4' x 12' and sometimes 5' x 12'. At the present I cut aluminum parts with a trim router and template and it works very well, but takes time and maybe a CNC router is a better way to go. Thanks again Gerald and any advise would be great.

Thanks

Red
Old Mon 25 February 2008, 02:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Red

If you are managing with a trim router now, I can only see the MechMate as being an improvement. But I have never personally cut alu on this machine, so I can't give firsthand experience.

The overall dimensions don't worry me. Seeing that you want to cut heavier and slower than most, I would thicken up some of the gantry parts a bit.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read