MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 20 June 2009, 07:31
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
4th Axis Addition #54 - Clinton TN USA

Hello everyone my name is Bryan. I just wanted to introduce my self . I have started purchasing the parts necessary to build a MechMate. I have two objectives in mind normal wood cutting with a spindle and metal cutting using a plasma machine. I feel the first step will be to follow the directions for the wood work and then after completion add the plasma torch and bed. My plans are to work on the machine and electronics as separate projects and then combine them when both are up and running. The motor drive and proximity sensor being the point where they come together. As with most this will be a extended project, and I may need to ask a few questions along the way.
Old Sat 20 June 2009, 18:59
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Bryan,
Have a look around there is lots to see. Try checking out some of the build threads of the guys who are cutting, you will be able to see how their machines went together and the problems they had and the mods they did.
We are around for questions when they pop up.
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 14:33
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Confused on metal used on Y axis

I am a little confused on the metal used to build the Y-axis "Gantry" is it C-channel or Squar tubing and what is the recommended size.
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 15:41
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Bryan, Welcome to the group
Hate to start this way, but you open the door...
You’ll need to read thoroughly the set of plans and a few threads & post before jumping to quickly & soon at some questioning on this design.
This MechMate is VERY well design & thought of by Gerald.
If you take the time to look and read at the plans, a few time I’d advise, you’d noticed you answer is right at page 10 20 440

Wishing you a GOOD time with your build & enjoy lots of reading before starting this project....
Enjoy, Robert
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 16:20
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Thank you, Robert
Old Sun 28 June 2009, 10:49
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Construction has started

I have started construction with laser cut parts ordered from Joe "Sweet Home Alabama”. Ordering experience with Joe was outstanding. I hope all items ordered for this project will be as easy and fast. Placed the order over the weekend and received the parts on Tuesday. You can not ask for nothing more. Hope to post some pictures over the next few days.
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 19:58
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Y-Car Construction

You have to love wire ties, I hope the color will pass inspection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ycar-mockup1.jpg (34.6 KB, 1984 views)
File Type: jpg Ycar-painted1.jpg (21.9 KB, 1971 views)
File Type: jpg ycar-painted2.jpg (29.5 KB, 1977 views)
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 22:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice job (and colour) Bryan
Old Wed 08 July 2009, 21:02
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Project update

Hello and I hope everyone is doing good. I just wanted to give a little update on the progress of my build. I have completed most of the Control Box design/construction/wiring. I have only the two major parts the Geckodrives “203V” and the Oriental Motors “PK296A2A-SG7.2” left to purchase. I may have started this project a little late. My kids will be starting school shortly and their sports have already started. I am afraid this will slow my progression down. A Single parent with three kids, and no cloning capabilities. I will post some pictures when I have the Gecko’s mounted. I would like to say that I have enjoyed reading all of the post and think Gerald for this site and the support here. As the mechanical part is my stronger side, I am looking forward to learning the software portion. I may have to ask more questions on this section.
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 18:59
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Parts made with a Lathe

I am at a point where I need to have some parts made and wanted to check if any one in US was making M1 20 220T and M1 30 224T for sell. I can work with a local machine shop but, if the price is good would rather keep it in the forum.
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 20:27
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I'll PM you. I have them.
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 20:28
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I'll PM you
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 20:00
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Smile Current Build Status

Kitchen Project is complete. All motors are turning and in the correct direction. Prox switch’s, and a few buttons setup and working. I have the base table, gentry, and y-car complete and moving by hand. A little more steel fabrication still left on adjustable table. Awaiting steel plate on order for the Z-Slide. Check sent to Standard Steel for Rack’s, and Spindle on the way also. Will try to get some pictures posted soon..
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 23:13
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Bryan, that is a major milestone.
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 07:04
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Kitchen Table Project Complete

Yes Gerald you are correct, it was like a major weight lifted from my shoulders. It is a great feeling when you see the motors turning and no smoke. It has taken me longer than I planed but the end is getting closer and closer. As was pointed out to me in the begging all the information you need in every stage is here in the forum. You just need to spend the time reading. I am ready for this beast to start cutting and making dust.
Old Sun 14 February 2010, 21:39
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Few Pics of the project

The contol box

Base Table

I still have some supports to fabricate for the base and the adjustable table is still in the fabrication stage. But more Pics will come.
Old Fri 19 February 2010, 20:46
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
VFD and Spindle Test

I received my VFD and Spindle today, after a few day stay at US Customs and some paper work from me. Another step completed. I also purchased a pump for the coolant of the spindle. I believe I will need to do more research on the pump side. The pump work good at present but I do not believe it will last. More research more research.

Old Thu 04 March 2010, 16:13
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
All welding completed

All welding is completed, adjustable table is built, and all equipment lay out is over. I have ordered some stop block from Mike “Metal Head”. Z- from Texas is complete. Now it is time to disassemble and paint. Oh joy, you get the thing to gather to work out the issues and you really do not want to take it apart to paint. Would it be bad to just clear coat the metal and put the stickers on?
Old Wed 10 March 2010, 06:44
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Coolant a Water Cooled spindle

I would just like to see what is being used to cool the water cooled spindles. I am thinking of using a anti-freeze coolant due to seasonal temperature dips below freezing. But would like to see what others are using. I have my machine painted and all three axis moving. I will be working on the spindle connection and table over the next few days. I hope to be cutting, and posted results in at least one or two weeks.
Old Wed 10 March 2010, 07:31
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
My MM is in a freestanding garage which is only heated when I'm out there, so I'm using standard automotive antifreeze as coolant. Time will tell if problems arise, but it's been fine for six months now.
Old Wed 10 March 2010, 18:56
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Progress to so far

I have spindle mounted, coolant tubing ran piped in to pump. A little OMG on the pump when the feed line popped off and coolant went everywhere. Tightened up feed line and all is well. I mounted the switch assembly with “resume, pulse, and E-Stop”. All wired up and tested. Awaiting stop blocks from Metalhead “Mike ,the proximity switches ready to mount, table board to be mounted. After that I will be showing this thing off, with a test cut. More updates to follow. Maybe a few Pictures over the weekend.
Old Thu 11 March 2010, 19:41
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
A Few Pictures of my progress

Coolant Pump
coolant Pump.jpg

Side View
Side view.jpg

Z- Slide with Safety Switch
Z-Slide w Safety switch.jpg
Old Thu 11 March 2010, 19:49
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
A Few more Pictures of my progress

Table view
table pic 2.jpg

Adjustable seciton for table
Adjustable table.jpg
Old Thu 11 March 2010, 20:14
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Brilliant job! Love your table height adjustment concoction. Should be cutting soon.
Old Thu 11 March 2010, 20:22
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Cutting Soon

If the weather will work with me I will pick up the base material for the table tomorrow. I will only have the proximity switches, stop blocks and stops left. When I get this completed I will but the stickers “Mechmate Logos” on and hopefully make a few cuts.
Old Thu 11 March 2010, 22:34
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Are you drilling for oil with that Z-axis
Old Fri 12 March 2010, 06:06
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Z-Slide

Yes, it is a long stroke on the Z-Slide.
Old Fri 12 March 2010, 06:18
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Bryan,

Very interesting Z-Slide. I wonder if you'll see a difference in cut quality when your table is adjusted to the lowest setting versus the highest setting. Other's (including Gerald, I think) have expressed concern about the "flex" of "long" Z-Slides. Did you make any modifications (other than extending the length of the Z-Slide)?

Keep us posted on your results. We wish you well.
Old Fri 12 March 2010, 06:30
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Flexing in Z-Slide

I will try to run some test when I have everything completed. My plans where to intergrate a plasma cutter at full length, and use the spindle only at short distances. Some of my plans may change as far as the plasma cutter goes. I may have to stiffen up the Z-Slide or not run it at its full lenght. I purchased the steel for the Z-Slide in a 36" lenght and did not cut it down. I wanted to keep my options open as far as the lenght was concerned. I do understand the flexing issue when cutting wood but felt that the plasmsa cutter would not have the same problems. I will keep everyone posted on how it is running.
Old Fri 12 March 2010, 06:35
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
That makes a lot of sence. Thanks for the update. Keep up the great work!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read