MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 19 July 2011, 14:39
coinhunter
Just call me: coinhunter

Bogota
Colombia
Problems working the end of some Ballscrews

I have some problems working the end of some screwballs, they are really hard and the lathe doesn’t “clean” the thread of the screw, I think that it would be a good idea to heat them in order to “soften” the metal, is it a good idea? How can I solve this problem, thanks for your help.
Old Tue 19 July 2011, 16:42
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
use the grinder to remove the top cemented coating, then machine the soft insides.
And use ceramic inserts as they should be rated for 65hrc, if you go real slow with them you can skip the grinder, but its the easiest way.
Old Tue 19 July 2011, 23:13
coinhunter

Bogota
Colombia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinhunter View Post
I have some problems working the end of some ....., they are really hard and the lathe doesn’t “clean” the thread of the screw, I think that it would be a good idea to heat them in order to “soften” the metal, is it a good idea? How can I solve this problem, thanks for your help.
Sorry, I wanted to say ball- screws!!!
Old Wed 20 July 2011, 16:41
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
So is this a MechMate using ball screws ?
Old Wed 20 July 2011, 21:01
coinhunter

Bogota
Colombia
It is a homemade CNC machine, the model doesn't look like a mechmate. I don't know how a "Mechmate" moves his axis, in my case they are moved by the ball-screws.
Old Thu 21 July 2011, 14:06
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
The material is case hardened and around .06" deep depending on your ball screw size. Use carbide and get your surface speed down to where it should be, And the tool will bite and cut real nice. The material is soft under there after you get thru the case of the material. There are other materials that will cut it just fine but not as forgiving. Fosus on the right rpm based on the surface speed needed and you will be good. Just don't work harden the material. There are many factors that may contribute to your problem, so it's hard to list them all. Good luck!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read