MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 26 February 2009, 16:29
TJS
Just call me: T.J.

Fairfield,CT
United States of America
10 10 300 D What is Dimension "M"

Newbie here. I would like to know what dimension M is on 10 10 300 D. I am a little confused I guess with the drawings as I have to flip back and forth to see what I need.
Thanks.
T.J.
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 16:36
astrolavista
Just call me: Rene #29

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
I'm thinking it's the width if your rack..
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 16:39
astrolavista

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...p?t=271&page=2

See Post 21
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 16:40
astrolavista

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
sorry see post 41
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 17:49
TJS

Fairfield,CT
United States of America
So what you are all saying is that I would need to mock up the rack first before I can drill the holes in the main beam for the x-rail to bolt to. Also Gerald's idea is good about drilling the holes smaller in the rail and then transferring the location of the holes into the main beam but if you have a transfer punch set you can drill the rail holes to final size (3/8") and then when you get it lined up with the main beam use a transfer punch to transfer the location of the hole to the main beam, of course after you determine dimension "M".
T.J.
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 19:09
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
When drilling the rails just let the tip of the 3/8" bit drill into the beam a little, then finish drilling the beam with the correct bit
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 20:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Dimension M is not the width of your rack. It is the space available for mounting the rack. (Rack widths vary from 3/8" to 17mm - depending on supplier/country)

Dimension M is affected by the straightness of the beams after welding and that is why it is not given as an absolute number. In theory, it is 21mm, which allows 4mm weld distortion for the guys with 17mm racks.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 16:33
TJS

Fairfield,CT
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Dimension M is not the width of your rack. It is the space available for mounting the rack. (Rack widths vary from 3/8" to 17mm - depending on supplier/country)

Dimension M is affected by the straightness of the beams after welding and that is why it is not given as an absolute number. In theory, it is 21mm, which allows 4mm weld distortion for the guys with 17mm racks.
Gerald,
Thanks, but still a little confused so I drew a picture. The line in the red would represent a straight edge. So the "M" distance = Rack + Tape. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.
T.J.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 21:21
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, the rack is mounted flush with the outside of the rail, to get the pinion gear as far onto the motor shaft as possible. You should have a generous gap between the rack and the channel (or tube of y-car).

That gap gets eaten up by crooked channels, or odd-sized racks, or odd-sized/shaped gantry tubes. Some folk have tried to reduce M, thinking they want less gap and less rail overhang. However, the laser cuttings dictate M for the gantry.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 21:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Do you realise that your sketch is nearly 600kB! You used .bmp format . . . . . . . here is that same sketch in .gif format, using 200x less memory at 2.6kB:

Old Fri 27 February 2009, 22:29
TJS

Fairfield,CT
United States of America
Ya ya i know Gerald. I had it a .gif and it would not FTP up to my web hosting company. I was kind of in a rush too. That is why I did not attach it.
Thanks.
T.J.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read