MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 24 January 2009, 18:34
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I'm with Mike, I don't think a dust collector will create enough suction even for large items. I also used a large shop vac with limited success.
Old Sat 24 January 2009, 19:18
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
There's a guy over on the Shopbot forums that has a lot of useful information for cnc routers. One of the things is a vacuum table. Gary Campbell is his name, I could post a link to his work, but I don't know if it's allowed, don't want to get my knockles slaped with a ruler. Last time that happened was 1958, 6th grade, Nuns you know.

Dave
Old Sun 25 January 2009, 12:45
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
From what I have heard/seen, you can use 'small' vacuum systems, but you must be careful about your expectations. One way to 'save vaccum' is by not cutting all the way through so you keep a thin membrane, or use judicious zoning, so you are not cutting a LARGE area. Using gaskets if you are doing some things helps. Not letting small pieces be 'sucked up' so they keep parts of the area covered (using tabs or keeping a thin membrane of material to be trimmed later by hand). Covering un-used table with plastic or non-permeable material.

Or break down and get a killer industrial vacuum. I saw a multi-stage multi-thou$$ vacuum motor/pump at a ShopBot conference last October in Austin TX. And it was not the largest they sold. I think it took 10A at 220V 3phase to run the vacuum only.

For special needs, using vacuum pucks seens works well.

It boils down to, determine your needs. Design for needs rather than wants (a problem I have). For many it seems that a mixture of hold down methods are 'real life'. for many folks.

For many folks it seems like the noise of the vacuum system generates is problematic. The best thing I have seen is run the motor and fans outside put have the exhaust (dust collection bags) back inside so any 'conditioned air' (heated or cooled) isn't just thrown away, but the sound stays outside (or in an adjacent 'service' building).

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read