MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Dxf Library
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 15 December 2014, 05:42
Duds
Just call me: Dale

Canberra
Australia
Christmas Baubles 2D

Hi Folks,

Just a quick thanks for help on the site and here's a little project I am working on. If anyone actually makes these, I'd love to see photo's. How about we make that the licence term. I'll call it photo ware.

Seriously though licence terms for this file are CC BY 4.0
That means that:
You can share it, and
You can adapt it,
for any purpose, including commercial (you can make the parts and sell them)
But, you need to tell people Duds made it.

Thanks.

Basic instructions to for cutting these parts.
Preparation:
1. Spray some adhesive on to some brown paper and lightly tack brown paper on both sides of your 6mm ply before putting your ply down on your machine.
2. Fix 6mm ply to your machine bed.
3. Machine the dowel holes and then knock in dowels
Cutting
4. Cut the 'Side A' layer
5. Flip your 6mm ply on the short edge (NOT the LONG edge)
6. Cut the 'Side B' layer
7. Cut the 'Hanger' layer
8. Cut the 'Baubles Cutout' layer
Finishing
9. Spray paint your baubles with a range of festive colours. I am going to spray mine in metallic's and pastels, except the skulls which will be black.
10. Leave your baubles to dry
11. Peal off the brown paper to show off your lovely wood ply grain
12. Spray paint baubles with a clear coat to protect them. I'm going with a satin clear, but gloss will work great too.

HAVE FUN Christmas Baubles
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 14:35
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Dale.

Question... Side A and B, are they cut through or engraved?
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 14:56
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Sides A and B are engraved. I recommend 1mm pocket milling but you will need to consider your stock and the finish. Deeper cuts will give more dramatic shadows.
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 14:58
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Cool, thanks. Having trouble getting things to work up here, cambam is just thinking..... and thinking.....and thinking.....
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 15:03
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Bruce, this is my first actual design, not just fooling around with shapes and letters. I did consider a cut through version but started to have problems with keeping a contiguous piece of material. It obviously can be done but needs more thought about the specific patterns used or maybe using a stroke around the edge so that pieces are 'bound' in.

I think I over complicated the job as it is.
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 15:05
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Yeah too many splines that's my problem too. I'm going to try chunking it down into blocks of say six or ten baubles and the reassemble the gcode by hand in a text editor.
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 15:07
Duds

Canberra
Australia
I have tested two baubles individually but there's just too many on one sheet.
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 15:54
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I am currently going through the file deleting all of the HATCH's, they seem to be causing problems. I use Draftsight so it is a process of exploding the blocks then selecting each HATCH and pressing delete. I'll let you know sometime tomorrow if it works
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 18:39
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Hey Bruce I have just posted up a new file with all the HATCH removed.
Christmas Baubles NO HATCH
Old Mon 15 December 2014, 18:44
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Dale, appreciate it. Was taking me forever to get that done
Old Tue 16 December 2014, 06:20
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Hi folks, I just discovered a fault with the DXF. Some vector paths are less than 3.175mm or 1/8" internal distance. This means your CAM will probably ignore those paths. If you try to generate paths and find some baubles are just left out this is why. The remedy, use a smaller tool.

I will try and amend the paths tomorrow and republish.
Old Mon 19 January 2015, 06:04
Duds

Canberra
Australia
Hi all, I thought I'd do a quick followup on this job and the file.

First, if your thinking of running this job, don't. It was a complete pain in the ass and really not worth the time. If you like some of the patterns feel free to split them out into individual baubles and run the baubles one at a time or a couple at a time.

Also, using paper as mask on the job seemed like a good idea at the start but the paper ended up getting shredded so much it just didn't work properly.

Finally, some of the patterns just don't work very well. The line art is too fine for the tool to get in with a pocket or too close together for engraving.

What was good about this job? It was an awesome way to learn a whole pile of skills. Creating the art, developing CAM files, managing the operations, double-sided working. I learned a massive amount about my new machine, and gained a great new respect for machine operators, from this job. I'm still learning, but this job was a really great crash course.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read