MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 13 January 2012, 08:18
hflwaterski
Just call me: Herb #126

Genesee, WI
United States of America
Push Button Problem

After years of putting the MechMate project on the sideline, I'm finally able to get back to it. I don't have any issues tackling the electronics side of things however it is definitely not my strong suit. I have posted a YouTube video of the problem and here is the link but I'll describe the problem as well.

http://youtu.be/ppJ1KU6GSuQ

I've wired the panel according to the diagram and have checked it at least a dozen times. I'm leaving the Geckos and power supply off at this time just so I can get the push buttons and light to work properly first. The On button seemed to work properly the very first time I tried it but every time after, it has not worked properly. When I turn on the main switch, the light in the middle of the On/Off buttons turn on right away which means the contactor is energized. I assume that when the main switch is first turned on, the light should remain off and then turn on when the On button is pushed. The On button doesn't have any resistance when the light is on and when I push the Off button it does turn everything off including the light. When I release the Off button though, everything comes back on. Why won't the contactor turn off and stay off and then allow the On button to have resistance to turn the unit back on.

Referring to the YouTube video will be the best bet to understand the issue. The title of the video is MechMate Kitchen Table Project Issue.

Thanks for looking!
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 08:33
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
My first question is what kind of buttons are on the switch? NC vs NO ?
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 08:48
hflwaterski

Genesee, WI
United States of America
The On button is NO and the Off button is NC.
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 08:51
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
look at this thread and see if the photos help.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...14&postcount=1
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 08:55
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Look at the switch and contactor photos. I know that one of the wires in there is a short jumper that took out the E-stop circuit for testing. I will see if I can find more photos at different angles.
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 09:02
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Here is another picture. I had 3 but removed 2 becasue they were for testing the coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Contactor 3.jpg (50.3 KB, 341 views)
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 18:17
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
Have you checked the bridge wire from the lamp to the "on" switch to see if it is on the wrong terminal?
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 18:51
hflwaterski

Genesee, WI
United States of America
I think I have it solved for now. It was something that I wouldn't have expected but maybe someone can shed some light as to why it occurred. I actually went as far as taking the lamp and the e-stop out of the picture so that I could rule out something screwy there. It was still happening. Then I even went and removed the Off button and just had the On button and I was still getting the same result. Then just for giggles, I decided to swap the wires from one side to the other and voila, it worked.

To be more specific, before A2 and 14 of the contactor went to 4 on the On button and L1 and 13 of the contactor went to 3 on the On button. I simply swapped the wires on the On button and now it works. I'm glad it does but if someone could explain why, that would be most helpful.
Old Fri 13 January 2012, 20:47
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
from looking at the schematic and not knowing your terminal assignment numbers on the contactor/switch I would say that you had the hot side of the circuit incorrectly placed and that energized the lamp/coil and bypassed the switch. ( in the above schematic, you had the wire that connects to L1 of the on switch connected to the left terminal instead of the right side ) Glad you sorted it out.
Old Sat 14 January 2012, 09:29
hflwaterski

Genesee, WI
United States of America
Thanks for your help! Hopefully it will benefit someone else that runs into the same issue.
Old Sat 14 January 2012, 21:12
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
See if this helps you out take a look at post #83
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...4&postcount=83

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read