MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 23 December 2008, 19:07
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
FYI my quote...

FYI,

This is the quote I got:

34HS9801, $50.00/pcs, 5pcs ---------- $250.00
China Post Parcel -------------------------- $174.00
SUM --------------------------------------------- $424.00
USD & 20 days available.

Ries
Old Wed 24 December 2008, 04:34
Nikonauts
Just call me: Nikonauts

Johore
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jama View Post
Hello Nikonauts,
You may be interested to know that Oriental motors in Singapore will charge you SG$288 each for PK296A2 SG7.2 just across the bridge from Johor. This is a metric version of the motor sold in the USA PK296A2A -SG7.2. (The only difference is the the metric option has a shaft with a keyway and the dimensions are in mm). I suggest you give them a buzz on 1800 80 6161. That is a toll free Malaysian number. It may be better than chasing suppliers who are very far.

Regards,
Hey thanks...
But for me, it's still way out of my budget constrain. Hmm... US$200, with gears and it's OM. MK one is $80 (including S&H averaged per unit) without gears. Very nice deal but can't afford it this time, i'll definitely consider it for next build.
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 15:05
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
motionking and g203v

Can anyone tell me if g203v and motionking stepper motor 34hs9801 is possible? Are they both compatible and can I use this driver for that motor?
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 19:01
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I've never used a Motion King motor, but the data sheet looks good for the 34HS9801. It is an eight-lead motor, so it can be wired Parallel, Series, or Half-Coil.

The data sheet shows that for Unipolar (half-coil), you would use a power supply of 50 to 65V (maximum). When wired half-coil, the motor would pull up to 4A, so you would use a 62K resistor between terminals 11 and 12 of the stepper driver. The motor is rated at about 780 oz*in.

If you wired the motor parallel, it would pull up to 8A, which is too much for the Gecko G203v stepper driver (7A max.) Wiring parallel would also produce a lot of heat.

If you wired the motor series, it would pull up to 2.8A. The inductance would be 16mH, so the motor would work better at slow speeds if you wired it series. You would use a 31K resistor between terminals 11 and 12. Because of the high inductance, you would not be able to use the proper power supply of 100 to 125V. The G203v is limited to 80V. That also means that you would not get the 1,100 oz*in that you would expect from a series wired motor.

So, if I were considering that motor, I would only consider using it wired half-coil.

Of course, all of those figures assume that the data sheet is accurate.
Old Fri 06 February 2009, 21:50
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Martin. Kobus is using that combination of motor and drive on his machine: BBB is cutting #6 - Brakpan, Gauteng, S.Africa
Old Sat 07 February 2009, 23:02
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Correction. I have 202's
Old Sun 08 February 2009, 06:08
martin77pl
Just call me: Martin #39

Wroclaw
Poland
Hi guys, I have spent some time reading the forum and decided i will go for oriental motors. I will place my order tomorrow, it appears that there is one distributor of these motors in Poland. As far as the price is concerned I can get PK296AE-SG7.2 for 212 euros plus VAT per piece. I bought PMDX-122 and four G203V yesterday. I cant wait till they arrive, it is gonna take some time before I receive them. The shipment from the USA. I have started looking around for a supplier of them parts to be laser cut and bend. I am not sure if it would be enough to print the plans and then scan them, email them to the company so that they can produce them. Or do all these parts have to be in DXF format?
Old Sun 08 February 2009, 07:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Martin, I started a new thread for you over here: Starting out, placing orders - Wroclaw, Poland. There is the reply to your laser cut question.
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 10:52
mrloeng
Just call me: Svein

Trondheim
Norway
Here are some questions from someone who can not be something electrical.... : )
A Motion King connected with 4 cable, it will say that I have half the effect of the engine?
And if I burn engine, I can connect the other 4 cables, and I have a new engine?
And some more newbie questions ....
When each engine is connected to each driver, howe do I select / run the 2 motors on the X axis!
This is done in Mash3 if I have understood it correctly?
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 11:19
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The answer to your question depends on the Motion King motor that you select. The 34HS9801 motor has four coils inside, A, B, C, and D. Normally you would use Coil A OR coil C with either coil B OR coil D. In other words, coil A OR C = one phase of the motor and coil C OR D = the other phase of the motor.

The 34HS9801 has eight wires exiting the motor. A=Red, /A=Yellow, C=Blue, /C=Black, B=White, /B=Orange, D=Brown, and /D=Green.

If I used that motor with a Gecko G203v stepper driver, I would connect the Red wire to Phase A, the Yellow wire to Phase /A, the White wire to Phase B and the Orange wire to Phase /B on the G203v. Each of the other wires would be individually taped off and isolated from each other.

If somehow you destroyed one coil inside the motor, you MIGHT be able to use another coil as a substitute; however, if the motor got hot enough to melt the insulation on one coil, there would be a very good possibility that the heat would have damaged other coils - so be careful.

In Mach 3, you have the option to slave an axis to another axis. So, I often set Mach 3 to slave the A-axis to the X-axis. By doing that, whenever a step command is given to the X-axis, the same step command is given to the A-axis. Be sure to set the direction signals properly in Mach 3. Normally a slaved axis turns in the opposite direction of the master axis (because the shafts of the motors face each other). If you set one motor to turn CW (active high direction signal), set the other motor to run CCW (active low direction signal).
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 13:22
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
Thanks!
That was good information.
One more questions... eight wires motor, with 4 cable connection/half coil,
Do I have only half power of the motor?
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 17:57
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
When you wire a motor half-coil, you will have 70% of the torque that you would get if you wired the motor either bipolar series or bipolar parallel; however, you will get the same speed as if you wired the motor bipolar parallel (all eight wires connected). If you wired the motor bipolar series, you would get much lower speed than if you wired it either half-coil or bipolar parallel.

To get full power and full speed, you would need to wire the motor bipolar parallel, but then you would have MUCH higher temperatures.

Unless I have some special need, I wire my motors half-coil. I get good speed, good torque and moderate temperatures.
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 22:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
MrNorway, (do your friends call you MrNorway?)

Have a look at these graphs to get an idea of the differences:

(From Oriental Motor reference)
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 02:53
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
There are some "magic" numbers that are often used in electronics. One of those "magic" numbers is the SQRT(2).

The torque differences between unipolar and bipolar are based on the SQRT(2). Bipolar torque (either series or parallel) = Unipolar torque X SQRT(2). The reverse is also true, i.e. Unipolar torque = Bipolar torque X SQRT(2) / 2.

Current is based on the same "magic" numbers: Unipolar Current = Bipolar series current X SQRT(2). Bipolar Parallel Current = Unipolar Current X SQRT(2). The reverse is also true: Unipolar Current = Bipolar Current X SQRT(2) / 2. Bipolar Series Current = Unipolar Current X SQRT(2) / 2.

Since the SQRT(2) = 1.414 and the SQRT(2) / 2 = 0.707, you can see where the 140% and 70% figures that I often quote come from.

Those "magic" numbers are also used in computing the size of transformer that you need to get a specific DC voltage. DC voltage = AC voltage X SQRT(2). AC voltage = DC voltage X SQRT(2) / 2. In other words, if you're going to build your own power supply and you know that you want 39VDC output from the DC power supply, you just use the formula to see what transformer to use: 39VDC X SQRT(2) / 2 = 27.58VAC.

The chart that Gerald furnished shows that relationship. Even without numbers on the X and Y axes, if you know what to expect, you'll see the relationship between the motors based on the SQRT(2) theory.

Last edited by Richards; Fri 20 February 2009 at 02:57..
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 05:35
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
Thanks!
I have been given price on engines and drivers from MotionKing now.
They recommended these drivers for the motors.
I think this wil be good!

Motors 34HS4801, $58.00/pcs, 6pcs- $348.00
Drivers 2H090MK $88.00/pcs, 6pcs $528.00
Express Freight Charge------- $216.00 (sent to Norway) (32Kg)

This will be my first parts to my machine.
The mechanical is no problem for me, but the electric is my nightmare!!
So I start with it!

Thanks again for info.
I hope I can help someone in here to, with my experience as a CNC operator.
After some time..... because I'm new in here now.
Thanks.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 06:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Is 34HS4801 correct? You need to be very careful to order correctly.

None of us have used MotionKing Drivers yet, but I think they should be okay. Better check your numbers.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 08:10
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
Number is correct
Maybe I take big chance here but....
I will tray it.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 08:22
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
If my memory serves, it was the 34HS9801 that most guys were using?
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 08:26
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Sorry my mistake again,,,the steppers are 34 HS 9801
This was Kobus' response (in his build thread) to Mrnorway's part number.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 08:44
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
I know which number he chose (9801), but I will have a larger engine, (4801).
I shall use the linear slides that are a little heavier to push, therefore I use the larger engines, and they will also keep the axes more stable during milling.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 09:17
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ok, sorry for my confusion.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 09:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here is a list of MotionKing's drives:
http://www.motionking.com/Products/D...or_drivers.htm

. . . . but I do not see the 2H090MK on that list today?
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 09:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here is a page from MotionKing's website:
http://www.motionking.com/support/unipolar_bipolar.htm

Which appears to be copied from this page of Oriental Motor:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/support...connection.htm

Make's one worry to what extent their data is their own, and how accurate it might be.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 12:25
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
Here is drivers info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2H090MK_Instruction_Rev.E.pdf (991.5 KB, 92 views)
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 12:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That MotionKing drive is quite different to the Geckodrives that we know well. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer you much support on getting it wired and set up.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 07:20
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Svein - you may not find much support here - and I see so many iinputs to that drive - you should ask Motion king if they can support you and also ask if their drives can run with Mach.

alternatively try leadshine
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222

as leadshine is located in HK shipping is much cheaper

if u are looking much nearer but still chinese with good support - take a look at this website http://stappenmotor.nl/

hope this helps.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 07:27
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
seems these drives dont have a common internal ground for the optos and need to be grounded for every inputs - that should not be difficult - there are so many using these drives -

we Mechmaters might just learn at your expense - whether these drives are worth or not.

I would suggest you go ahead - and give it a try if finances are not a concern.

IF NOT STICK WITH THE GECKO
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 09:29
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
I think I go for Motion King 34HS9801 and Geco 202 instead, so I get good support here.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 10:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Svein,

I think that we will be able to help you to get the MK drives to work, but we do not have the experience. The MK drives will be very cheap for you because they will be shipped for free with the motors. The shipping costs on the Gecko's could be 30% of the purchase cost.
Old Sat 21 February 2009, 11:21
mrloeng

Trondheim
Norway
Yes, MK drivers is a cheap solution. I can buy gecko if MK does not work....
I have been a little unsure of what to do ..
There are so many ways to do this..
I want very much MK 34HS4801 engines, but do not think there is any Gecko drivers that can support the engines.
Therefore, it is I think to also buy MK drivers..
But I dont noe, maybe I should just take the chance...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read