MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 22 January 2010, 02:25
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I second Ries's suggestion.

Was planning to build a fullrange ELS until I bump into this forum...
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 11:59
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi guys,
did some new stuff I wanted to share with you.
I used for the first time MM for aluminium cutting. Needed some special parts for a etiquette applying machine in wine industry. I had only some scrap alu lying around so I cant tell what grade it was. I used a 6 mm solid carb end mill with 20 mm/sec and 0,8 mm pass and 20% stepover.Toolpath was some pocketint and profiling in Aspire.Lubricant used WD40.

DSC00041.jpgDSC00045.jpg

DSC00051.jpgDSC00052.jpg

Second project was a roomdivider made of 10mm mdf.
First profile cutting done with 4mm endmill.

DSC00018.jpg

I used a 12 mm V Bit with a profiling toolpath, cutting depth on line 3,5mm.

DSC00020.jpg

This the cut quality obtained going exact Stop modus in Mach3. True it`s lot slower but worth.

DSC00032.jpg
DSC00031.jpg

and some more of it....some 10 hours later...

DSC00030.jpg
DSC00029.jpg

and then of course the other side, too...

DSC00056.jpg

And finally after some 30 machine hours, I used some Linseed oil for finishing the divider. Dimensions 190 x 90 cm.

DSC00061.jpg

After such a job I realise even much more what a wonderful piece of Art the MechMate is...Thank you Gerald for making this possible.

Last edited by Claudiu; Thu 28 January 2010 at 12:02..
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 12:27
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Very very nice Claus. Just glad you did not have a power cut in the middle of it.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 13:24
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
power loss is a big problem in Florida. I had quite an investment in ups equipment. have not had this experiance here... yet Hope I didn't burn the cornbread.

Claus, those look awesome! my wife likes them too!

Last edited by Johannescnc; Thu 28 January 2010 at 13:26..
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 14:12
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Claus, Nice work! Now my wife wants on now....lol

My wife and kids are allready making me a list of things to make!

Good looking work!

Cheers,
Travis
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 17:19
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
Very, very nice work!
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 18:36
Rad Racer
Just call me: Wayne #25

Minnesota
United States of America
Looking good Claus, it appears you have your machine dialed in perfectly.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 20:00
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
AWESOME!

got to complete mine ASAP....
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 20:34
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Claus, in #169 you were having a little static charge issue on the outside of your dust collector boot on your MM. I was wondering if painting that section with aluminum paint (or other conductive paint) and grounding the paint appropriately could help dissipate the static issue.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 20:53
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Well Done. It looks awesome.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 00:02
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
did you place tabs in between - and after removing the inner material _ ai am assuming you have run a cleaning pass, thats how I do it, unless you have a order for a 100 numbers and you can build a jig to hold the job and let the pieces drop down
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 08:21
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Thank you all,

Kobus, having daily problems with electricity I learned from you that making a small hole outside your workpiece, where your zero is, can save your work, and you allways can restart from there...!

Yes Irfan I had tabs, but those were cut away with V bit, imagine sanding about 300 tabs by hand... Hope that 100 piece order drops in some day, then I will come back to you to explain exactly how to build a jig.

Have all a nice weekend.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 03:46
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Very impressive. The V bit to cut away the tabs was an excellent idea.

What was your feed rate?
Did you go slowly as it was your first attempt?

Jason
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 03:54
aniljangra
Just call me: Anil #44

Delhi
India
Send a message via Skype™ to aniljangra
Very nice Claus... Can't imagine MM working 30 hours continuously yet.
Can you explain a bit how you generate the divider pattern/software (of course if its not a trade secret). I too wanted to make one for me

I do make a small cross somewhere outside work using a sharp engraving V bit before starting any work as you can never be sure what happens next !!
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 12:45
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Esti foarte tare !!! Trebuie sa-ti dau tel unora din Buc care vand un grund special pt MDF. Altfel o sa te chinui f mult daca nu dai inainte cu grund. Cauta oricum pe net firma Goulda SRL. Sigur au site. Eu de la ei iau tot ce imi trebuie pt finisaj. Au marfa de super calitate calitate. Nu o gasesti in hipermarketuri. E industriala si e Italia. Cred ca am zis tot. Si ce e mai important e ca te ajuta cu sfaturi, sunt f amabili.
Bafta,
Marius
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 01:42
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Jason, my feedrate was set to 3600 mm/min, but as I said before Mach was set to exact stop and therefore it went very slow, mostly not going over 400mm/min. Only when it had to cut a straight line speed went up to about 1500 mm/min.

Anil, the whole job took about 30 hours, divided in 13 hours of cutting out the small pieces and then another 7 hours for V encgraving each side of the panel. The machine stops were about 30min for changing tool, cleaning table, loading up GCode and pressing start button.

The easyest way to generate a pattern is to use Inkscape, and import some flower and deco patterns which you can arrange to form the first quarter of your finished pattern.It is also very helpful to use helplines in your sketch for aligning all patterns to have a nice geometry.When done simply mirror it sideways and downwards and you have your big pattern. Then you can multiply as often as needed. It is very important to use vector graphics as they are scaleable to any size. Hope that helped.
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 18:07
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniljangra View Post
Very nice Claus... Can't imagine MM working 30 hours continuously yet.
Can you explain a bit how you generate the divider pattern/software (of course if its not a trade secret). I too wanted to make one for me

I do make a small cross somewhere outside work using a sharp engraving V bit before starting any work as you can never be sure what happens next !!

Stumbled across this link a while back on the mechmate forum, cannot remember which thread but it was saved in my browser favorites.
Scroll down the page to find the patterns.

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-patterns/

Last edited by Jason Marsha; Sun 31 January 2010 at 18:09..
Old Mon 01 February 2010, 00:19
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Jason, thank you for that link.
Indeed there are tons of patterns. I found the one I used in a vector pack on file sharing server together with many other vectors.
The trademark logo from craftsmanspace was also removed. intresting...

Last edited by Claudiu; Mon 01 February 2010 at 00:25..
Old Mon 01 February 2010, 00:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
Stumbled across this link a while back on the mechmate forum, cannot remember which thread but it was saved in my browser favorites.
It was 'Clean' Vectors - free project plans for the woodworker
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 08:23
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Rectifying Brass.

This is a part of a wine bottle labeling machine. The part I had to rectify is a leveling device for the glue applicator. Having an age of about 30 years it had lots of dents and hits on the surface which normally has to be smooth.

Thatīs the result. Thats the upper part which had to be chamfered 45°. I used a V Bit. Then with an endmill the cutting edge was straightened.
DSC00126.JPG
DSC00124.JPG

Then turned it around. Thats the underside which was worked with a 8 mm endmill.
DSC00120.JPG
DSC00123.JPG

This is my first job where all was done by manual control of the MM.
Old Sun 14 February 2010, 22:55
quadtech
Just call me: Prasad

Hyderabad
India
Claus, do post a pic of the completed speakers.
Here are some nice BLH CNCed speakers from Andrew Tisley -

http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Products.html
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 00:20
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
They have some nice designs. I especially like the compination of layered birch with acrylic panels. I also had a nice link from one japanese diy-er and will post it when i find it.
The MDF speaker was just a prototype to see if everything fits, the product will be cut from layered Birchwood panels around 20 mm. I will use Fostex chassis from the sigma series. I`ll come back with pictures.
Old Wed 24 February 2010, 09:53
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Hi guys,

I was pretty involved in some little projects lately. Soon my webpage will be ready for presentation, and of course I`m working on the content.

Here is what I`ve done lately from 25mm layered birchwood panel:

DSC00241.JPG

I will post some more work soon, as ti will be finished...
Old Wed 24 February 2010, 11:20
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Thumbs up

I like it!
Old Wed 24 February 2010, 12:32
aniljangra
Just call me: Anil #44

Delhi
India
Send a message via Skype™ to aniljangra
Very nice Claus , how the glass is held on, is it glued somehow ?
Old Wed 24 February 2010, 23:07
Claudiu

Arad
Romania
Anil, the glass is just heavy. Size is 2.2 x 1.3 m and thickness 13mm. Gravitation is doing the fixing. But of course it possible to ad some rubber or felt pads...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read