MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 01 May 2010, 08:18
clarson66
Just call me: Chris & Leon #100

Adelaide
Australia
More welding to come.

Hi Tony,
The rest of the cross supports are cut just need to do the angled braces, hope to get back down there soon to get them in. Hoping to be there Monday if not on the weekend.

Good luck with the rails, my neighbours at the workshop love me right now

Chris
Old Sun 02 May 2010, 02:34
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
how do you find the machwood a3 edge bander, do you guys use 2mm with it.

nice build you have done the metal work quick
Old Sun 02 May 2010, 07:15
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Correction

Just in case anyone was thinking I was over the top with our accuracy of our rails, I was. Slight typo the tolerance is was within .1 mm

Chris
Old Sun 02 May 2010, 16:50
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Chris,
Your thread should be getting moved to the Construction Started, But Not Cutting Yet as your build is well underway now.

Good luck with it!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 10 May 2010, 04:39
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Bit more done.

Well we made it to the construction started, but not cutting yet section.
Went down and cleaned up the workshop today and did a few little bits on the Mechmate and made some bits for this Sunday when Leon and I will start on it again. Will make sure we get all the photos this time guys.

Chris
Old Mon 10 May 2010, 05:03
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
I see your rail cutting jig worked well - so nice when an idea propagates so quickly through the group and gets put to use.

Do you have any forward plans for what you might like to make with your machine or like me it is a more stepwise, build it first, then experiment later.
Keep up the good work, it seems Aussies have taken the Mechmate CNC to heart judging by the number of starters we now have.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 10 May 2010, 05:40
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Mechmates Future

Once the Mechmate is up and cutting, I will be able to make my own carcases and other custom cabinetry. I also have a few other cabinet makers I know that are keen for it to be up and going so I can do work for them. Leon who has financed this operation will probably finally get to make his racing cockpits for game consoles that he's always wanted to create.
The rest will come as we explore the world of CNC.

Chris
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 03:37
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
More welding

More progress today, finally got the bracing all cut n finished today. Finished the clean up of the workshop and we are ready for the Y rails and carriage on Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mechmate side braced.jpg (58.6 KB, 1882 views)
File Type: jpg Mechmate end braced.jpg (57.8 KB, 1869 views)
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 19:23
Lonedawg75
Just call me: Leon

Adelaide
Australia
Looking good there Bro.

Unfortuantly im going to have to work again tomorrow hopefully its a little more exciting than last Sunday, 1 truck in for the whole day, Oh well it let me catch up on some research! ^^

Other Bro dropped down the DIN rails and wire trap things plus I have another Control Box with goodies to pickup on monday morning.
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 07:04
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
¿"small cabinet shop"?

Very good progress Chris and bro.
Old Sun 23 May 2010, 05:02
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Gantry rollin!

Hi all,
Well been down to the workshop and made some more progress. Leon and I managed to get the gantry made up today, cuttin, drillin, tappin, weldin and Rollin!!!!!! Wooo Hooo that baby rolls smooth. Leon did a great job of makin sure it was all sqaure on the ends, that panel saw top sure came in handy. Next we levelled the frame again as I had to move it, squared and clamped that sucker down and started welding, A1,2,3,4,B1,2, and so on. Have to make mention we looked for countersink bits and gave the $6.50 P&N a go 4 holes counter sunk and still good as new. Will try to get as much done this week as possibly but the 6am starts at work might slow me down.

Chris n Leon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Square the end plates.jpg (53.7 KB, 1768 views)
File Type: jpg gantry ready to weld.jpg (70.4 KB, 1761 views)
File Type: jpg gantry rollin.jpg (63.8 KB, 1771 views)
File Type: jpg Countersink.jpg (35.4 KB, 1768 views)
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 06:07
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
It's been quiet

Hi All,
Not much to report but we now have a Blue control box and our toroidal transformers have arrived. Still waiting for RS to send the cap. Got some crazy shifts at work so I'll probably be trying over the next week to get the electronics done. Just need to heat the shed these nights are getting a bit fresh. Then long weekend it should be back to the workshop and finish the carriage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg control box starts.jpg (45.1 KB, 1665 views)
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 06:15
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Either that transformer is too small, or the box is too big?
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 06:27
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Big Blue Box

Hi Gerald,
Im hoping both are ok, the box is 600mm x 600mm and was the right price.
These power supplies are 35 + 35 300va, paired together will make our required 600va. This is very similar to Mattyzee's setup.

Chris
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 06:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If someone else is already using that setup without hassles then there is nothing further to say.
Old Mon 14 June 2010, 22:13
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Small update

Another weekend, more work done. We managed to get the Y rails ground and the carriage made up. Have joined our rack together and test mounted it for the X axis, welded the stops on X. Just have the Y to do the rack and the stops. Cleaned up a few other bits and started planning for the next weekend in 2 weeks time. No photo's this time sorry.

Chris n Leon
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 06:02
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Were still here!

Hi all,
It's been quite a while, both Leon and I have been quite busy and myself closed up my cabinet shop and have started working elsewhere. Have put up a new 12m x 7m shed in the back garden and moved all mine and Leon's gear in. Had our first meeting on the plan of attack to get this Mechmate finished and up n running. Have spent some time on little bits this week but also trying to finish the shed plus find where everything is from the move.

Couple of pix of the Mechmate and its new home.

Hopefully more to updates to come and soon!

Chris n Leon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new home 1.jpg (70.2 KB, 1282 views)
File Type: jpg new home 2.jpg (74.2 KB, 1290 views)

Last edited by clarson66; Wed 29 June 2011 at 06:04.. Reason: Forgot the photos, DOH!
Old Wed 29 June 2011, 15:46
aussie_mick
Just call me: Mick

Nowra
Australia
Looking good.

Keep the pics coming. Definately inspires me to get on with my build.

Mick
Old Sun 10 July 2011, 06:24
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Another Sunday

Wet weather outside but dry in the shed, so we soldiered on!
Leon jumped on the lathe and hooked back up the DRO and tweaked the guides and a few other bits. Then he turned up the stand offs for the spider.
I finished marking, drilling and tapping holes in the Y rail, added the stops and drilled the holes in X and Y rails for the sensors. 20mm Step drill from Bunnings did the job nicely. Next got a start on the proximity holder/stop plates. Finished off with planning our next get together.

Yes there is 3 of the plates the other one is hiding underneath.

Chris n Leon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y Rail.jpg (57.0 KB, 1138 views)
File Type: jpg Stops n spacers.jpg (45.5 KB, 1138 views)
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 02:02
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Started on the electronics

Thought we might have a look at the electronics today, managed to make up a mounting plate for the geckos. Tested the transformers and started some wiring. Need to make another trip to the shops for some more heat shrink and cable. Also managed to machine up the piece for the bearing on the Y axis.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (47.9 KB, 1026 views)
Old Thu 05 April 2012, 05:30
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
We are still here :)

Hi all,
Well Leon and I are still here and the Mechmate is still a WIP. Hopefully this Easter we will be out in the shed and making progress. I have got the Mechmate up on wheels so we can move it around to work on it. Sold a heap a stuff out the shed, but did buy a new panel saw though. Have moved things around and are ready to get back into finishing this build. Pictures and updates to come soon.

Bye for now Chris
Old Mon 09 April 2012, 06:15
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Some progress,
Another day in the shed and we have Y-cable chain fitted and tested. The stop blocks all finished. But most important we spent some time just getting familiar with where we are up to and what we need to finish this machine. Well with a shopping list in hand we are off tomorrow for more bits and some emails of to people tonight for other bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y Chain.jpg (72.9 KB, 813 views)
File Type: jpg Y Chain close.jpg (75.7 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg Carriage stop block.jpg (50.5 KB, 812 views)
Old Tue 10 April 2012, 17:27
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Perseverance!
You're almost there. It comes together pretty quickly once you have it rolling.
Old Tue 10 April 2012, 18:11
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Cheers Red,
Yes it does seem like we are nearly there. We managed to get lots of little parts yesterday springs, nuts n bolts and cable chain ordered for X. Still working on the Z plate finding the plate rather expensive and hard to get in Adelaide. Have been to a few places for costing on milling it up.
Oh well another day of holidays of to steel yard for some bits and then back out to the shed.

Chris
Old Wed 11 April 2012, 06:08
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Y cable chain revised

Hi all,
Quiet day finished the Y cable chain setup and tried out our new springs. Cleaned up a few welds on the frame that were a bit crappy. Getting ready for the X cable chain to arrive and still researching this Z plate, got one quote today and nearly fell of my chair.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y Cable chain Rev_1.jpg (80.1 KB, 755 views)
Old Wed 11 April 2012, 06:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Is there a significant reason why you are trying to outsource the z-plate?
The fabrication method is not any more difficult than the rails. Just a little more layout is required.

Additionally, if the tool steel is the part that is hard to acquire, then use Cold Roll flat stock as a substitute. The steel substitution isn't a huge deal breaker - I had this set up on my first machine for 2 years before I put in a proper d-2 tool steel slide. No challenges on performance at all.

Good luck
Sean
Old Wed 11 April 2012, 06:47
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
We were looking to outsource for ease and accuracy. Im hoping that a fellow Mechmater here in Adelaide can get his friend to do the machining as the price was very reasonable. I am going to ring back the place were I tried to get the steel from before, just last time we tried to get it in they mucked up the order and sold it to someone else. Didn't offer to get another one in just refunded my money. The plate here in Adelaide cost me about $160 AUD, not sure what my interstate builders paid for theirs.

Chris
Old Sat 14 April 2012, 23:53
clarson66

Adelaide
Australia
Hi all,
Lazy Sunday thought we would just do some washing and hang it out to dry. Going over the last bits to order hopefully get more painting done soon.

Chris n Leon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washing.jpg (108.3 KB, 675 views)
Old Sun 15 April 2012, 00:21
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You guys hang corks around your hats like that!
Old Sun 15 April 2012, 00:26
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Tomorrow it is the wife's turn on the washing line

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read