MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 29 January 2010, 07:09
blakekoehn
Just call me: Blake #47

Macon, MS
United States of America
Yes I did Sergio. Thanks for taking the time to draw that very clear diagram. I wish I would have had it sooner because I had to do some digging to find out how to wire it.

The problem cleared itself up as I worked with it. I am not sure what happened but I am suspecting that it was a grounding problem. It is securely grounded now and reading correctly.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 20:48
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Where is the information on how to set up Mach 3? Also this might be a stupid question but why is it that Shopbot software cannot control the MechMate?
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 23:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Look at the Mach3 website for their support and videos.

The shopbot software only runs in their own controller. You can use a shopbot controller if you want to.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 07:40
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Would their controller replace the breakout board? I already have my box put together with a PMDX-122 and I am planning to use Mach3. I loaded it up last night and I am endeavoring to figure it out. I had Shopbot 3 pretty much mastered. That is why I asked.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 07:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, their controller replaces at least the PMDX-122, maybe more. I am not up to date with what they sell these days.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 07:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
See this thread from July '08:
Version 201 Controller Board from ShopBot
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 12:00
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Kitchen Table Project

Actually make that the Sign Shop Table Project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controlbox1.jpg (93.1 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg controlbox2.jpg (94.1 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg controlbox3.jpg (85.8 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg controlbox4.jpg (97.9 KB, 806 views)
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 12:09
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Page 4 of the PMDX-122 user manual located hereshows the options for powering the board. I have a standard 115acv to 9dcv adapter that will plug right into the coaxial jack on the breakout board. If I am understanding the manual correctly I can use that, am I right?
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
9VDC is fine. I have even used a 9V battery as a test.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:07
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Thanks for the quick reply! I have not been able to get my motors to turn yet... Just kind of going over the whole thing trying to troubleshoot it.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Getting the motors to turn can be very frustrating. In the Troubleshooting section you will find some help if you get stuck.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:45
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
We Have LIFTOFF!!! It was the charge pump settings in mach3. Man you don't know how good that makes me feel!
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:46
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Blake,

Be vary careful NOT to disconnect the Power Supply from the Gecko's "live."
The problem is that the Gecko's act to discharge the capacitor. If you don't have them connected when the power supply is turned off, there is no place for the charge on the capacitor to go.

Also, do not turn on the power supply while it is disconnected from the Gecko's, then turn it off and connect the Gecko's without discharging the capacitor. This is the same as putting a switch between the power supply and the Gecko's which is strictly forbidden by Geckodrive, Inc.

The best thing to do is to use a "low" value (1 to 5 ohms) "high" wattage (15 to 25 watts) resistor to discharge the capacitor if the Gecko's are not connected when you turn off the power supply. Just touch leads to the resistor to the two poles of the capacitor. You will draw a small arc. You should not use a straight piece of wire or screw driver for these large capacitors.

After verifying that your power supply is producing the correct voltage, you should connect it to the Gecko's and leave it connected. You should turn on and off the power supply on the AC side, not the DC side.

Hope this helps.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 13:48
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Congratulations...I know the feeling.

I was typing while you were posting your success.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 19:42
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggins7 View Post
Blake,

The best thing to do is to use a "low" value (1 to 5 ohms) "high" wattage (15 to 25 watts) resistor to discharge the capacitor if the Gecko's are not connected when you turn off the power supply. Just touch leads to the resistor to the two poles of the capacitor. You will draw a small arc. You should not use a straight piece of wire or screw driver for these large capacitors.
I love the loud bang made by discharging the capacitor with a screw driver
Connecting a light bulb accross the cap is another way to discharge, you will know the cap is fully discharge when the light goes off.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 22:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Blake!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 16:18
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Complete except for cables

All that is left is to hook up the motor cables. And install limit switches. I hope to have it operational tomorrow. The limit switches will have to wait till some more signs are complete. My wife is calling herself a Mechmate widow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg complete1.jpg (96.0 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg complete3.jpg (96.3 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg complete4.jpg (86.2 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg complete5.jpg (98.4 KB, 717 views)
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 18:03
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Looking good Blake!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 20:03
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Very nice Blake!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 20:39
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Wow !!! Lookin great !!!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 22:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Amazing progress Blake - well done!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 23:35
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Nice machine Blake!
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 06:38
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Just under a month! Good job & a very good looking machine!
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 08:20
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
That machine is far too clean

Well done
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 11:20
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Blake the moment the MM starts working ownership moves over to the wife as she owns you so better get some ideas together to keep her happy.nicely done
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 17:22
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Well it is ready to cut. I have been jogging it around the table with the spinning spindle in the air. I have to sit down and study Mach a little more and cut something. I sold my dust collector and gave my spoilboard cutter and endmills to the man that bought my shopbot. So I am waiting for some bits to come in from Onsrud. Got to get something collecting dust before I surface my spoilboard. You only make that mistake once!

I don't know if I have thanked Gerald and everybody else that has helped but thank you very much! This machine is awesome, just jogging it around i can see how smooth and fast it operates, I love it!!
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 17:24
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
The top speed in Mach, at least in the "motor tuning" dialog box is 490ipm. That is probably fast enough for all practical purposes but I was wondering how JR got 1150 out of his? I would imagine it would be because his belt reduction is only 4 to 1 where my gear is 7.2 to 1. Is this a correct theory?
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 23:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If I remember correctly, JR started out using his motors direct drive, which meant that he had double-stack motors (double set of magnets on the longer armature, motor length about 90 to 100mm). The 7.2:1 reduction motors are single-stack.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 13:22
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Gerald that is correct. My motors are PK299-01AA, however they need way more voltage than my Geckos can handle. I'm thinking my next one will have PK299-F4.5 or the equivalent in a Chinese motor. Don't get me wrong ..... I'm not complaining.
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 15:45
blakekoehn

Macon, MS
United States of America
Here you go!!! The first cut!! Cutting a part for a temporary dust foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DCNcvuv30

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read