MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 29 May 2011, 00:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Robin, actually I cheated....

I drew a 100mm radius circle in AutoCad and then drew a square inside it. Measured the side length of the square and saw it was 141.4mm...an old familar number related to the sq.root of 2. Then it all fell into place.....

I did always know that the area of a circle inside a square is about 3/4 of the square area, but that it is exactly 3.14/4 (pi/4), so I did have a suspicion there is a linear relationship to pi for square inside the circle.

Last edited by Gerald D; Sun 29 May 2011 at 04:56..
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 02:29
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Every one else has been designing reduction drives I thought I would have ago.
Mine will be made from cast aluminum and fully enclosed so that I can take advantage of plastic pulleys.
Also I have done away with the laser cut bracket and mounted it to a custom long stud with a large flange to elimiate twisting.
Pictures are of a MDF prototype, the design has slightly changed, they give the general idea.
The image of the reduction on the machine shows it on the wrong side - the reduction housings are universal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27092012(001).jpg (64.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 27092012.jpg (58.3 KB, 250 views)
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 02:50
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Now, that is the right way to do a belt reduction box

It also look like your design can be machine off a block of aluminum
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 03:01
Khalid
Just call me: khalid

Sadiqabad
Pakistan
i like the reduction design. It will be casted very well in Aluminum. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 05:09
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Anthony

Must be that time of the year for designing belt reductions .

I like your design, especially the symmetry that makes them universal.
After a few quick calculations I see that 2 x 12 mm plates are never going to make a fully enclosed drive.
Is that why you have chosen casting due to the depth of the assembly?

As an aside if my limited experiences so far with the 4:1 reductions are any thing to go by, you will enjoy having them on your machine.
Just pushing the gantry up the machine when the motors are off is telling me so much more is going on!!

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 05:41
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Wow! that looks fantastic, I like the closed design.
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 08:01
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Ross,
I wanted enclosed for dust and swarf.
It had to be light weight for plasma cutter to help acceleration and using a plastic large pulley will help with weight but also rotating inertia.
My aim is to go from 16 mirosteps to 4 mirosteps = more torque + 5.2:1 reduction = more torque. I then maybe able to lower the amperage without sarificing performance(??).

Anthony

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read