MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 13 July 2008, 09:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Version 201 Controller Board from ShopBot

ShopBot are launching a controller board that can be used in a MechMate, and that will make a MechMate speak & behave like a ShopBot.

http://shopbotdev.pbwiki.com/Developer-Kit-Options
Old Sun 13 July 2008, 15:24
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
If anyone has questions about the Shopbot V201 controller board, send an email to Shopbot.

I've been testing the board for Shopbot since mid-winter. The board can be used directly with Gecko G203v motors. It can directly drive low powered (TTL signal level) outputs, although I always buffer I/O through opto-isolators.

So far, that little board has taken everything that I've thrown at it without any kind of problem.
Old Tue 15 July 2008, 04:30
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
I hate to ask the question but my curiosity is definitely perked so here goes; why would you want the Mechmate to behave like a Shopbot? What are the benefits and/or disadvantages. Are there any advantages or is it for those that have a shopbot with existing software and would like to run that software on a Mechmate instead of using Mach3?
Old Tue 15 July 2008, 06:16
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Some users feel that the SB3 software from Shopbot is easier to use than Mach3 software. I use both. SB3 software has its place as does Mach3. Either will do the job. Either will produce parts of equal quality.

It really depends on which tool-pathing software you have. If it generates Mach3 code, you would need Mach 3. If it generates SB3 code, then you would need the V201 board or a complete control box from Shopbot.

After seeing photos of cuts made on the MechMate, it looks to me that the MechMate is a much sturdier machine with much less flex than my Shopbot Prt-Alpha, so the MechMate would give a superior cut regardless of which brand of software was used.
Old Tue 15 July 2008, 08:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Maybe I should have used the word "respond" instead of "behave".

The ShopBot language is more flexible than G-code. Folk who enjoy programming in BASIC will have a lot of fun with ShopBot's way of issuing commands.

We did strike some limitations with ShopBot's programming before we moved over to Mach:
- ShopBot cannot interpolate arcs in all three axes.
- The metric millimeter versions were poorly de-bugged
- Their version of "acceleration" needing resetting and tuning for different types of cuts. (They call it "ramping" and it is a bit of a nightmare)

But, at the end of it all, we did run it for a few years and it did make the motors move.
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 14:19
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
What option will run a Mechmate

Mike,

What is your recommendation between the three options (15301,15030,15305)?
Can the controller board connect directly to 203v geckos without the interface board?

Trying to run ecabinets on a Mechmate what do I need to spend on controller parts to do this or get by with?

Is this even possible?

Thanks
Old Sun 12 April 2009, 16:14
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Justin,

I have no information or experience with those three options from Shopbot. This link will take you to the developer's section of their site. http://www.shopbottools.com/enlargesystems.htm

The V201 controller card that Ted Hall sent me for evaluation came without any type of interface board. When Ted Hall, Bill Young, Bill Palumbo and I talked at the Marker Faire in San Mateo, California last May, Ted showed me some boards that they had designed to be used with the V201 for CNC and for non-CNC applications.

The V201 controller has a DB-37 Male connector on board and an IDE type male header (0.1-inch X 0.1-inch centers, two eight-pin rows). To make an operational CNC controller only requires running some wires from the connectors to the I/O interface chips that you decide to use.

The DB-37 connector has pins that could be directly connected to Gecko G203v stepper drivers (X, Y, Z, A, B axes). NOTE: You would have to manually connect the two X-axis drives to a buffer chip because only one step/direction connection pair is available for each axis. There are also eight Output Lines and eight Input Lines. If I remember correctly, the Output lines are active High, but they are pre-programmed to SINK current when they are OFF. (Most TTL type outputs SINK current when they are ON and float near 5V when they are off, so you would have to invert those signals for normal operation.)

It took just about an hour to put a simple interface together using parts from a nearby Radio Shack store (white proto board, a few resistors and a few L.E.D.s) and I had a simple CNC compatible system running five PK268-02A motors (using Gecko G203v stepper drivers), some input sensors and some output indicators.

To those of you who are comfortable playing with electronics, the V201 controller will be exciting news. To those who want something pre-built, the V201 may be something that you postpone.

The V201 would be a low-cost way to build an eCabinet compliant controller.
Old Mon 13 April 2009, 06:47
lunaj76

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Thanks Mike!
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 14:03
rayditutto
Just call me: Robin

Victoria
Canada
Send a message via MSN to rayditutto
is this; http://www.shopbotprojectwizard.com/...oduct=32&id=32 (SB->gcode) a viable software only option?

i couldn't post the actual link - too much lurking, not enough posting

cheers,
robin
Old Tue 14 April 2009, 20:15
lunaj76

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Thanks Robin! I wonder if this is a viable option for running ecab? I'll have to ask around.
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 13:26
danubcustom
Just call me: DanB

Surrey BC
Canada
Justin did you find any more info about it?

I do want to run ecab too.. and am considering building another cnc machine (mechmate) if i can run ecabinet software wtih shopbot link..

If i could use gecko drives maybe i could use servo motors but i dont think you can change the settings on shopbot software? the worst case i can use stepper (closed loop)

Thanks
Dan
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 17:46
lunaj76

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Danb,
Check the shopbot forum. I have'nt pursued it.
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 18:46
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I've been in close contact with one Shopbot "power user" who has E-cabinet software running on his Shopbot. For the moment, it's not a finished product. The Thermwood team seems to be on top of the software, but there appears to be some irregularities with the Shopbot hardware - particularly with timing.

That user told me that it takes at least 4X longer to cut something on his Shopbot than it does with a Thermwood. He has to make two passes at 6-ips while the Thermwood makes one pass at 12-ips. In addition, the edge quality on the Thermwood produced part is basically flawless. The edge on the Shopbot produced part needs some sanding before it can be edge-banded.

His particular Shopbot has more bells and whistles than any other Shopbot that I've ever seen. He knows how to tweak his machine and he has been in constant contact with Shopbot about needed revisions. He and they work very closely together on those fixes.

(Keep in mind that E-cabinet software was designed to be used with machines having auto-tool changers, high-flow vacuum hold-down, and > 10hp spindles. It would take a lot of expensive hardware to 'hot-rod' most CNC machines before they could be used competitively with E-cabinet software.)

But for now, the E-cabinet software is not quite ready for market when used with a Shopbot.

Also, you'll have to check to verify that the Shopbot version of E-cabinet software produces G-code. Some of the other software that they have offered has been 'dummed down' so that it only produces tool paths that can be run on a Shopbot. My version of PartWizard only outputs sb3 code. My version of V-Carve Pro, which I purchased directly from Vectric, generates code for a large number of CNC machines. So, check before buying.
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 20:20
danubcustom
Just call me: DanB

Surrey BC
Canada
i have built a large cnc machine before and with this one im actually considering building a machine with atc setup with strong gantry/motors

so it will be able to handle the feedrate but now the only biggest issue is the controller..

if i read correctly there is a software that will convert sbp to gcode if so that would be much easier running it on mach3 (the setup im used to)

for the shopbot link will it support atc? or that is only from thermwood only?

Thanks
Dan
Old Wed 09 September 2009, 20:56
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The FC command in SB3 (Shopbot's native language) can convert some G-code to SBP format. It does not convert SBP code to G-code, which is what you would need for use with Mach3.

Also, unless I've been misinformed, the E-cabinet software does not produce G-code files, instead it directly controls the Shopbot without producing an editable file. In other words, you could not use E-cabinets to generate Shopbot code and then run a Shopbot provided code converter to generate G-code.

The E-cabinet program is licensed and configured to be used by a specific machine, to which it is attached.

(I may be wrong on all of the above, but an email sent directly to Shopbot or Thermwood would get you the information that you need.)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read