MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 09 February 2012, 19:45
cpdenco
Just call me: Chris

Hudson, MI
United States of America
New Member - Hudson, MI

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris I'm 27, I live in Hudson, MI. I'm a diesel technician sat.-mon. and I run a laser engraving business tues-fri., I'm looking to expand my business. I've been wanting to get a cnc router for sometime now, I'm looking at building a MM 5'x10'. Some of my current clients would like me to make some HDPE (high density polyethelyne) signs and wooden state shape plaques. Honestly, I'm a little overhelmed right now in reading all the threads, what to use what not to use. I have read alot of Gerlad_D's posts (very informative). Any and ALL information will be GREATLY Appreciated.
Old Thu 09 February 2012, 21:40
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the forum. Read a lot and get a set of plans to review over your beverage of choice, read some more and .. oh yeah read !!! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build !!!
Old Fri 10 February 2012, 03:55
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chris,

Welcome.

Find a couple builders that have completed their machines and run their threads from start to finish. If it is possible, go visit one of the MM in your area or near by. Though you have experience with CNC it will make a difference.

Good luck.
Old Fri 10 February 2012, 13:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Chris!
Old Fri 10 February 2012, 15:12
cpdenco

Hudson, MI
United States of America
Nils,

Thank you for the welcome and advise on finding someone in my area. It will be very helpful for me to go and be able to look at one in person, pick up on the details that you can't always see online.

Heath,

Thank you for the welcome.

I've been talking with James (WTI) who is also building a MM 5x10 and reading alotttttttttttt.......I'm starting to get a better idea of the direction I would like to take my build. With our 1st little one due in May, my project clock is ticking very rapidly right now.
Old Fri 10 February 2012, 16:32
TechGladiator
Just call me: Miguel #94

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Chris..

Welcome to the forum.. I think you will have a lot of fun building it.

On a different note (and a little inside joke for the forum here), is Mike (MetalHead) advertising the MechMate forum on the parenthood magazine? You have to be the 6th or 7th person that is going to have a kid during the build of the machine . Congrats on that one also.!! Mine was born January last year, so we just celebrated his 1st Birthday a couple weeks ago.
Old Tue 14 February 2012, 12:18
cpdenco

Hudson, MI
United States of America
Miguel,

Thank you for the welcome.

That is too funny about the kid thing! Congrats to you as well, on your new addition.

After working on trucks all weekend and thinking about the build, I was able to sketch my table on paper. I'll be using most of the steel I have laying around the house, plus two pieces I had to purchase. If everything goes as planned I'll have the base of the table done by the end of next week. I'll be posting pics as I go.
Old Tue 14 February 2012, 15:09
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Chris,
Welcome to the forum.

I lurked here for over a year before I finally dove in.

Don't work so fast that you make me look bad. LOL

D.
Old Wed 15 February 2012, 12:33
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Chris:

Welcome and have fun! It is a great learning experience that, in the end, leave you with a nice machine to use and, hopefully, make money!

Joe #53
Old Thu 16 February 2012, 10:41
tjstamp
Just call me: tom

brooklyn, mi.
United States of America
welcome chris. my name is tom and i have been thinking of doing the same thing. i am just north of you in brooklyn. i do have a small machine shop and the task would not be that difficult. it is overwelming on the electrical part but the build would be rather simple. welcome to the club tho. tom, in the irish hills.
Old Thu 16 February 2012, 11:26
cpdenco

Hudson, MI
United States of America
Darren, Joe, Tom, Thanks for the welcomes!

Darren,

I've been thinking about this for quite sometime know. I just happened to get on here and found out there is a lot more people out there that have gone and are going the same direction as myself. After the news I got today I'm not going to be off to as good of a start as I thought.

My wife and I are refinancing our home, and going to a 15yr. 3.125% mortgage rate. Soooooooo..........the money jar I had set a side for the router has just been broken in to! So we will see how much progress I can get, now that I'm on a pay as I go basis. Bumped about that part of it, but on a good note we're saving a ton in interest on our mortgage.

Tom,

How far along are you on your build?
Old Thu 16 February 2012, 12:13
tjstamp
Just call me: tom

brooklyn, mi.
United States of America
havent even started. finance's just are not there. i am retired now and do repair and new parts work. i have a vision but i need a market. need to hit the lottery. lol
Old Fri 17 February 2012, 08:41
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Dont sweat it, Im in the same boat as you guys starting collecting parts 5 years ago, every time I set money aside life gets in the way. Soon to start getting the steel though and thats all thats really holding me back.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts