MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 04 November 2008, 07:57
fsautai
Just call me: fred

Inca, ileas Balears
Spain
French MM in Normandie.

Hi MM community,
A big Thank you to everyone for giving me something to do everyday last past few weeks. Reading this forum became absolutely obsessive.
i wanted to upload what i call "completed mechanical stage". It is time for me to worry about electrical. I still have no clue after reading every single thread on the subject. I am very worried but i am sure I'll get there eventually.
I will update with my progress.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM_01.jpg (130.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg MM_02.jpg (144.2 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg MM_03.jpg (145.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg MM_04.jpg (159.4 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg MM_05.jpg (151.0 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg MM_07.jpg (116.3 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg MM_08.jpg (127.4 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg MM_09.jpg (131.9 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg MM_10.jpg (107.0 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg MM_12.jpg (152.2 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg MM_13.jpg (132.7 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg MM_14.jpg (100.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg MM_15.jpg (132.8 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by fsautai; Tue 04 November 2008 at 08:02.. Reason: typo
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 08:09
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Fred,
Your build is looking great! Dont be too worried about the electrical aspects, there are quite a few people that have experience in that are and will help out no problem. Welcome aboard.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 08:10
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Very Nice fred ! Congratulation
Félicitation, mais Fred… la Normandie ??? nous voyons ton inscription en Espagne
As you say, electrically you’ll get there, not to worry many of us here will assist you if there should be some obstacle & hick-ups !
Salutation, Robert
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 08:42
fsautai

Inca, ileas Balears
Spain
Yes Robert, I am a business owner in SanFrancisco (cal), i live in Palma Mallorca (spain) and i build the MM at my good friend's metal shop in Normandie where i grew up.
No need to say, my CO2 footprint.... needs improvement.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 08:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Fred, I love these "surprise" builds by people who quietly just get stuck in and Just Do It!

(Can I change your city to Le Havre, as you told us in February?)

That looks like quite a big table - how big is it? You have some interesting ideas with the details - it all looks good. The only thing that worries me a little is spacing of the screws for the thin V-rails. I think it should be less than 100mm.

Have you selected the drives, power supply and "PMDX" card (or similar)? We will help you wire it together.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 09:06
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Thats a Huge table and congrats on your build.

what are the sizes?

Best Regards
IRfan
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 09:24
fsautai

Inca, ileas Balears
Spain
Gerald,
Yesterday, I prepared the machine for shipment, it is coming down to the Balearic islands in Spain where i will continue the project so it makes sense to keep my location where originally set up.
Here are the specs,

Y 1850
Drives Gecko G203
Power sup PS4n35
Pmdx-122
Motors PK296A2A-SG7.2

The machine is intended to cut boat frames (ply and composites) so i went as large as i could.

Last edited by fsautai; Tue 04 November 2008 at 09:47..
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 09:36
fsautai

Inca, ileas Balears
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Hi Fred, I love these "surprise" builds by people who quietly just get stuck in and Just Do It!

The only thing that worries me a little is spacing of the screws for the thin V-rails. I think it should be less than 100mm.
Gerald,
Space is 200 bet M6 screws on the v-rail. I will remember your warning and keep an eye and it. I will go back to the drill as much as necessary.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 09:50
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Fred, that spacing is okay for carrying the mass of the parts vertically downwards. However, the forces at the cutter are mainly horizontal, and wheels also experience quite a bit of horizontal pushing and pulling. My concern is when a wheel is between 2 screws and it has a sideways load of maybe 20 to 30 kg. The thin rail will not get a permanent bend, but it may have a vibration or resonance. Anyway, you are aware of it now and will be watching for it. Let's hope that it is going to work for you and need no more screws.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 09:55
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Fsautai,

Nice looking machine and I like your rails. Good job.
Old Tue 04 November 2008, 11:52
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Beautiful Machine Fsautai,

Where do people find the time to build these things so fast???

Great pics.

Good luck with the rest of your build.
Old Wed 05 November 2008, 13:58
fsautai

Inca, ileas Balears
Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmessler View Post
Beautiful Machine Fsautai,

Where do people find the time to build these things so fast???
Thank you all very much for your encouragements. It feels great.

Greg, i wanted to give some practical info on the time I spent on this because it is often difficult to really know what we are getting into. You will see, i am no fast builder...
Unlike me, lots of people are clearly stating on this forum "here is who i am and i am starting my project now" so of course, X month later, looking at the date, we can say Mr Smith did his MM in whatever months. But really, if you put back to back the hours effectively worked on the project, how long does it really takes ?
Because it very much depends of the builder's experience, the equipment he has at disposition and how perfectionist he is in the detail, let me say this first...

I am NOT a professional in any trade related to building ( i work on computers) I have a technical bachelor degree in mechanical construction (20 years ago), it means for three years, i had drafting classes, physic mechanic, resistance of materials, and various mechanical fabrication classes.
I choose to build the MM at a friend's metal shop. I had access to an exceptional machinery and equipment setup. I also had access to many skilled metal worker's brains to give me tons of advises.
I was not limited by space, i had a small (and very cold) warehouse all for myself.

I started to build in March 2008, It took me two full months of work ( 8 weeks , 5 days per week, 8 hr per day) to take it to what you see on my photos. It happened in 4 periods of 2 weeks spaced roughly two months apart.
During that time I had absolutely nothing else to do or worry about.The MM had 100% of my mind and energy.
It took me 5 weeks to build the Base table and the gantry. 1 week to build the Y car and 1 week for Z slide. The missing week is me trying to follow the lead on grinding the rails, that's when i seriously started to doubt if this project was for me or not.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read