MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 03 August 2009, 04:09
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Construction has started - Melbourne, AU

OK, I'm a Newbie! Yes I want a MechMate, if I know whats best fro me I better start the call for help NOW!

Mech Eng background

Currently building a mini MM 600mmX900mm to get my eye in.

If you like advising people and/or live in Melbourne then drop me a line.
Old Mon 03 August 2009, 08:20
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Wecome aboard Besser.
Old Mon 03 August 2009, 08:45
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Besser!
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 06:23
Besser

Vic
Australia
Amazing community spirit

Hi all, I have been amazed by the support from the MM community so far. In Oz I was thinking I'd be scratching for info and supply lines, not so!

Within 2-3days I have been directed to the local suppliers that have and correctly price many MM parts.

Today I was talking to a local Chris who is looking at 4m lengths of rack.

I may have to apologise to Gerald for not having to weld the stuff (quiet sigh of relief) when my time comes.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 09:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besser View Post
I may have to apologise to Gerald for not having to weld the stuff (quiet sigh of relief) when my time comes.
Psst, I will let you into a little secret . . . . .
On our latest tables we havn't welded the racks together - we just just left a gap! And of course the pinion doesn't know the difference.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 09:50
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
I thought you steel guys just welded everything? Although getting the racks in the exact lengths you need would be great too.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 22:43
Besser

Vic
Australia
For some reason I've had it in my mind to build a larger Y axis then X. Probably as future plans could include a boat design so I can just build another table. Well I just figured this also means you need less rack and rail also your X motors will do more work (stop/starts). Yes the gantry will be heavy but with a 4:1 reduction 2x610oz motors will eat it!

My biggest problem is my garage! It's full of junk I love (The wife wants me to toss it all)

OH, Gerald I felt like the cat that got the cream with the rack till you :
Quote:
Psst, I will let you into a little secret . . . . .
On our latest tables we havn't welded the racks together - we just just left a gap! And of course the pinion doesn't know the difference.

Last edited by Besser; Thu 06 August 2009 at 22:48.. Reason: finished eating my humble pie
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 04:13
Besser

Vic
Australia
Chasing down parts can be hard. We have a lot of retailers who think they hold a monopoly on the market. One company here sells er20 collets for $25ea. I'm trying to get a local drive supplier to come to the party and he's resisting...why? I dont know.. check this out:

Quote:
Hello Rob
I think it is more like a big retailer saying if you see a price lower than ours then shows us the advertisement and we will match or better the price Regards XXXX

XXXX,
>
> Thank you for the response (time is money), I was guessing I was going
> to encounter that question. I do recognise supplying this information
> to you, is like you asking a consultant to investigate the market, for free.

Rest assured I will supply that information when you confirm your rate on my request.
Warm Regards,
Robert
The information in this email may apear in the public domain.

To: Rob
Subject: Re: Supply and Availability

Hello
Can you refer us to the websites that you say are cheaper than us
Regards XXXXXX

Hello Sales,
>> On the following catalogue listing:
>> CNC-020
>> CNC-120
>> I have looked at your catalogue and these prices seem to be similar (8% higher) then other market offerings of the same product. Please supply current price and availability.

Still waiting for the reply for pricing! I'm going to try once more then look to our forum for friends who get a good word.
Old Tue 08 September 2009, 18:02
Besser

Vic
Australia
Further to the last listing...... the locaL SUPPLIER seems to not want to supply me. They dont respond to my emails. I pointed them to the MM forum as a suggestion for unfound sales and still getting a blank wall!

Still pushing and getting nothing.... I dont understand why some OZI's are bent on running a business and trying not to sell!

Had the same issue with the Cable Chain! Finally bought it from a guy who had his head screwed on and is making significant volumes of sales (makes up for the lower earn per unit but is going to be the best advertising ever)
Old Tue 08 September 2009, 18:51
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Besser

I have had similar issues, don't get why these people can't see the benefit in providing their product with reasonable service at a reasonable price, the motors are a classic example locally the best i could do for the OM motors was ~$3000 but the singapore suppliers are much better than that but can't supply us (I wonder how rick and the guys in Queensland went getting theirs out of Canada). I gave up and ordered chinese motors from motionking.

Drives are similar I went with gecko, even with the shipping from the US was reasonably priced and arrived within the week , I couldn't get this locally.

Sometimes I guess it's best just to let people like this be and go to someone who wants your business.
Old Thu 10 September 2009, 21:25
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaper View Post
Sometimes I guess it's best just to let people like this be and go to someone who wants your business.
As an economist I can tell you that is always the best thing to do.

However, the good news is that those who have preceded us on this path to MechMate glory have already found good suppliers from around the world who do want to do business with us. Enjoy the build!
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 19:32
Besser

Vic
Australia
jehayes...I agree but I also want the benefit of after sales service. I supose thats the balance I have to pick!

An update on the mini MM I'm also building: The frame is built and now onto the Y Axis. I do need someone local good at electronics though as I bought a 4 axis controller but the instructions and board markings are in Chinese? Cantonese? not english anyway. It's funny as when I started building this mini cnc I had a different design and as my knowledge of MM grew more and more components started to become MM till now it's full MM principles. The Stepper belt reduction drive is the hardest as I'm using a 4mm 0.5 module belt, it's all getting tiny.
Old Mon 12 October 2009, 00:29
Besser

Vic
Australia
Targeting Christmas

OK still Lurking and Shopping. So my next purchase is steel, this BOM is fun just wondering how much leftovers will be in the corner. Fortunatly my mentor in the MM build Chris is guiding me along.

Made a jig the other day for the Z plate to grind the wheel tracks. A slanted box to sit over the bench grinder with the abrasive wheel jutting through the box. Then I realised how high the bench grinder was Well some jacking blocks will fix that.
Old Mon 12 October 2009, 00:34
Besser

Vic
Australia
Just an update on the local supplier of motors, they lost my business and with our dollar rocketing, I guess many others. I really am sorry they were so stubborn, I supose their inventory and overdraft will keep growing.
I am now on the cable hunt. Again locals seem to thing copper means gold! I had one lady offer me $9/m, when I asked if she sold much, her response was NO! I can get the same brand out of Singapore for closer to $2/m. All help welcome
Old Mon 12 October 2009, 04:48
Greolt
Just call me: Greg

Victoria
Australia
Check these blokes in Melbourne,

http://www.cablesplus.com.au/

Greg
Old Mon 12 October 2009, 23:00
Besser

Vic
Australia
Thanks, already had them on my list, I've asked for a price for the cable on pg 24 of the catalog! Waiting to see the response, I'm hoping it's different to 99% of local guys. Will let you know
Old Wed 21 October 2009, 23:44
Besser

Vic
Australia
Well cable pricing is looking reasonable. Just sorting the dialog on the urethane and PVC sheath.
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 00:02
Besser

Vic
Australia
OK I have a tech question.
DRG M2 10 110 has the X rack at Board+ 200mm
A 6 foot board is 1830mm
Rack normally comes in 2000mm lengths (Australia)
(Can you see it coming?)
Where does the pinion finish on the rack when the stops are hit, is it the last tooth?
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 03:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If your X = 1830, the total movement (between hitting end-stops) is 1930. But, the plans show a screw through the end of the rack, with the screw head being "hittable" by the pinion.

That screw is actually not required if you use half-decent double-sided tape. Or, you could counterbore/countersink that screw. Or, you could cut a step on the end of the rack so that the screw head sits on the lower step and the pinion could roll over if it had to. Personally, we don't use a screw - but a lot of people have doubts on the tape so I added a screw to the plans for comfort. (We will talk again if someone's rack comes loose)
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 22:36
Greolt
Just call me: Greg

Victoria
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besser View Post
Thanks, already had them on my list, I've asked for a price for the cable on pg 24 of the catalog! Waiting to see the response,
I'm hoping it's different to 99% of local guys. Will let you know
I called in there the other day and found their prices reasonable.

Greg
Old Fri 23 October 2009, 04:03
Besser

Vic
Australia
Greg, I had a large commercial guy get a price from them and I compared it to my own price from them. I was paying 40% more.

Lets just say I will be getting my friend to buy it for me.
Old Fri 23 October 2009, 04:13
Besser

Vic
Australia
Gerald,
Thanks, now I can have a 6' X axis using a 2000mm rack and delete the mechanical end fastening (maybe a little tack weld). I have been reading posts on the rack fastening subject and will go down the path of using "Gorilla Glue" as the underside of the angle iron is mill finish, once cleaned it will offer a good keying for the hydroscopic foaming glue.
Old Fri 23 October 2009, 23:43
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Gorilla Glue and Steel

Besser: Please let us know how the Gorilla Glue/Steel works for you. I have been tempted to try that too but am concerned about the possible failure under stress, (also about the inability to keep the rack in place during the curing/foaming stage.
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 12:46
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Joe,
How about using a whole bunch of clamps along the edge? I know myself from being into woodworking, I have quite a few laying around.
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 12:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Gorilla glue sounds like a lot of effort compared to tape?
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 17:17
ffej
Just call me: ffej

Geelong
Australia
Hello Besser. Thanks for the advice. It looks like the costs mount up quickly enough as it is without being ripped off.
Like most people I'd love to do this as a commercial project, if only to cover costs. But at the moment I haven't got any firm ideas of what that would be.
I'm going to start off with an absolute minimum machine (small steppers, threaded rod & nut, wire wrapped around motor shafts, teflon block sliding on rails etc). Then once I know a bit more about the strengths and weaknesses of the various options I'll build a full size unit. I suspect there's a lot involved in the software that I don't know about.
I'm guessing that (to make a business) the machine needs to fit a niche that isn't filled at the moment.
Best of luck. ffej
PS I've tried sending this message a few times over the "private" but it doesn't seem to be going through.

Last edited by ffej; Mon 26 October 2009 at 17:18.. Reason: Incorrect Name used
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 17:53
Besser

Vic
Australia
Jeff, your machine spec will have worse accuracy then a MM and lower efficiency. It will be a great opportunity to get your hand in but not a commercial outcome.

Yes I received the message loud and clear (4 times)
Old Mon 26 October 2009, 18:01
Besser

Vic
Australia
Gerald, I was going to vac bag them down. 14.7lbs/in2 clamping is heaps. the glue up is simple. Wipe down both surfaces with a damp cloth run a bead down the middle of either surface, marry together, then suck them together. Walk away and come back in 2 hours to unwrap your finished product. The secret is to use less glue then more glue. It foams microscopically and bonds to the mating surfaces better then it's self.

Well the proof will be in the pudding as they say. I will hope to post pics when I get there.
Old Thu 19 November 2009, 18:38
Besser

Vic
Australia
Hey Guys, some great news. I just secured supply on 4 core cable. After running an estimation spreadsheet and working out cable run requirements I went to a local supplier through a client I know. Prices are within my budget and I was more then happy with supply time and quality. Greg was on the money for supplier, I did find them very flexible (pun intended) on price.

Now a question to all: Does all cable runs need to be shielded?
If I shield the source (VFD, Steppers) and their cable runs, do I need to run shielded on the sensor, estop and computer circuits?
Old Fri 20 November 2009, 07:11
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Besser, try a forum search on "shielding", and dig through the threads. The answer is in the "it depends" or the "do as I say, not as I do" kind of category. The belt and suspenders approach is to shield everything, and if it's not significantly expensive for you, it's insurance.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read