MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 12 September 2012, 05:28
wintersnake
Just call me: Ash

Melb
Australia
Another Aussie

I signed up because the Mechmate seems like the only supported everyday workhorse design that has is purposely made to accept full size sheets.

I've just spotted the Laser section and will be interested to see the limits of that system as a DIY project, almost every other DIY laser I've seen struggles to cut 1.0mm thick steel.

Edit: Just realized the Laser kits were for "laser cut parts" not Laser profile cutters.............

Last edited by wintersnake; Wed 12 September 2012 at 05:33..
Old Wed 12 September 2012, 07:23
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Ash!
There had actually been some talk of adding a laser cutting tube to a MM but I dont recall anyone ever documenting a completed build. Maybe you could be the first!
Old Wed 12 September 2012, 15:21
wintersnake

Melb
Australia
Thanks Heath, I think the router will suit my purpose better, even if I had the knowhow to make a laser work
My goal is to have a machine that will be as accurate/ridgid as possible as I'll be cutting more aluminium than wood I suspect.

Is anyone using the fully supported rail and split linear bearings? As these will be a large chunk of my budget if I deside to use them (about 1/3 the total cost).

Ash.
Old Thu 13 September 2012, 09:23
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Save your money by using the MM standard rail system and use that savings for a spindle.
If your going to cut a lot of aluminum, your going to need the better cutting tool than a router for all that work.
Old Thu 13 September 2012, 10:17
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I don't see linear bearings and supported round rails expencive, maybe more prone to dust failure but nothing else. Look on ebay for good prices on linear round rails
Old Thu 13 September 2012, 15:18
wintersnake

Melb
Australia
Thanks Sean & Danilo,
I do alot of aluminium on my cnc mill, actually I only do aluminium but as you would expect the work cube on a mill is small compared to a router.

After seeing some of the work you guys are turning out I think it could be a 50/50 timber/ally usage machine.
I've been reading up on the design features of routers for Ally compared to Wood and it seems the two main factors are Weight and spindle power.

I don't want to redesign the wheel here just beef up some areas that will be prone to higher loads and vibration associated with cutting ally.

Ash.
Old Fri 14 September 2012, 04:55
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Ash

You should purchase the plans from Metalhead Mike the forum moderator.
There is significant expertise in the forum and if you are game they can run their eye over what you might be proposing.

It is of course a two way street, be prepared to substantiate you claims as Gerald's design has proven itself many, many times over.
We have a repeating theme here with new posters proposing design changes to the Mechmate without having good understanding of how an unmodified machine might work.
Understandably that sometimes attracts a bit of flack.

The price of the rails are definitely falling so it is inevitable that people are going to look at this as an option.
As a minimum you will need to make alterations to the X gantry where the V wheels attached to the inside of the thick metal plates.
Similarly the C car laser cut plates would need modification and the z redesigned.
There are already examples of linear rail and lead screw Z slides on the forum so that work is already done for you.

The Mechmate rails are surprisingly easy to make if you set your mind to it.
Once you have got the jig and a few cutting and sanding disks it should take no more than two days max to make them.
After many years of continuous service a new set of rails can be made very cheaply and installed before the courier has the bubble wrap on any rails you might buy here in Australia.

Innovate away but share what you do.

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 14 September 2012, 17:37
wintersnake

Melb
Australia
Hi Ross, Funny you should post I've just finished reading your build start to finish.

I understand the "if it ain't broke, don't fix" mantra and have also read a few replies to new forum members suggesting changes...
Please correct me if I'm wrong but as it stands the mechmate is currently designed and used primarily as a "soft material" router not so much as a daily ally cutter? Is anyone using the mechmate as a dedicated ally router?

I don't want to get into a debate of design I just wanted to know if people are using the supported bar rails because I like the concept of the supported bar rails over ground angle.

Ash.
Old Fri 14 September 2012, 19:51
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Ash, it is important you understand that I encouraged you to innovate and share.
Informed debate is a short cut to that result.
It is however unavoidable in an open forum that unsubstantiated opinion will need to be filtered from the discussion.

Mechmate's in daily use cutting aluminium - just don't know about that.
I know of one built to take a 3600mm alloy sheet as his interests were in DIY aircraft.

Before I answered your question I ran this search -
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wint...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Yielding this result -
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...2;sa=showPosts

Ross
Old Sat 15 September 2012, 02:00
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I just finish cutting parts from 2 sheets of 1mm thk Alum sheet
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 00:21
wintersnake

Melb
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfcnc View Post
Before I answered your question I ran this search -
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wint...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Yielding this result -
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...2;sa=showPosts

Ross
Ross are you serious! posting links to a electronics software question on another forum. What do you think we (actual machinists) did before cnc?

If your trying to call me out pull the trigger son....

Further if your happy to part with 100 dollars with out knowing the product your buying is good enough for your job your a fool.

All I ask is about the slides so I can determine if the investment is worth it and if the machine will meet my requirements.
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 00:27
wintersnake

Melb
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
I just finish cutting parts from 2 sheets of 1mm thk Alum sheet
I'll need to cut 5-6mm daily with the occational run of 10mm.
A few years ago I was a production manager at a company that ran a cnc router 7 days 24 hrs cutting 6mm sheet ally 3m x 12m.

I'd like to be able run my machine tops 8 hrs on alot smaller table.
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 02:18
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
I'm not always as polite as I could be Ash.
Sneaky too as my checking on you reveals.

I read your original unedited post - that was a Gold in the Blow Up competition too I might say

About the rails, for sure don't see why not as the machine and the typical electronics is designed as a production quality machine, working a full week flat out.
The supported round rails are the entry level also the Hiwin style might be a easy to fit to the existing design using connector plates / blocks direct to the slide and the bent steel where the wheels are currently fixed.
http://www.tea.net.au/ProductCategor...did=174&cid=39.

You really can spend a lot on rails as you would know and the Hiwin are only the entry level for the bread loaf style rails.
The things that would work in your favour with the Mechmate design are the rigidity of the gantry and the big strong X axis beams. The standard design can also incorporate more rigidity in the Y axis by upping the number or thickness of the C section cross channels.

One of the main benefits of this forum is how you can garner support across all the engineering, software and electronics components.
With the obvious exception of me on a bad day !

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 02:56
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
IMHO, as long as you know your material characteristic, cutting bit behavior & feed control. You can cut anything except air & water.
BTW, Ash, I find your questions way too general for an ex-production manager. Please be specific.
#ps, I consider a 3mx9m machine cool when one built one...
Just get the plans. itw worth every penny. Even if you think you are smarter than everyone here.
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 11:32
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
If your goal is to cut aluminum, why not Google "cutting aluminum on a CNC router" and see what's being used.

You can cut aluminium on a MechMate. You'll have to use shallow cuts and slow feed speeds. I've cut 1/2" aluminum on my Shopbot PRT-Alpha. It was a tedious process, but it worked. Because of the weight of my machine and the flex, that machine was much more suited to cutting wood and plastics than it was for cutting metal. On the other hand, my vertical mill can make heavy, fast cuts in aluminum without chatter.

A CNC machine is just a tool. Use the type and size of tool that is best suited for the job instead of trying to make the tool handle any size job. You can break cement with a tack hammer, but a 16-pound sledge would be better suited to the job.
Old Sun 16 September 2012, 12:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
One guy built a MM with linear bearings.
Have a look here.
It is CUTTING! Bolted Mechmate with linear bearings - Kansas, MO

Last edited by domino11; Mon 17 September 2012 at 10:13..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read