MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 29 May 2009, 17:49
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Joinery on a MM

I guys…
I’m slowly getting back in the MM saddle after +/- a year off my project Finance & family life / obligation could not allow me to do any better !!

So, I’m looking for some advice & info for my future usage.
Before I start chopping & welding, one last thing I would like to finalize in my intention of conception is CUTTIN end boards for joinery, such as box joint, dovetail, small stub tenons…etc.
I haven’t seen many set up option aside of clamping the board at one end of the base table.

As any one seen on table set up with, I’d say a slot / opening in the support & spoiled boards of some sort ?
Any other set up that my little knowhow & imagination cannot see ??
Thanks in advance, Robert
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 21:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I cannot see that a slot is better than working over the end. You can make the x-rails a bit longer to give more working space at the end.

Then you also need a vertical "table" at the end. And it will also help if you make the whole table higher (or have a hole in the floor) for long workpieces.
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 23:26
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quasi-dovetails *can* be done in a nested panel.

I say "quasi" because the tails are not done with a dovetail bit, with the workpiece oriented vertically but with a 1/8" or so cutter, workpiece horizontal. Since the tails then have a radius at the root, the pins need a matching radius.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...NC_Router.html

Last edited by lumberjack_jeff; Fri 29 May 2009 at 23:31..
Old Fri 29 May 2009, 23:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Jeff, I think you are sidetracking this thread in a direction that Robert did not intend. He does fine traditional woodwork and is not about to change to round corners. The discussion is about holding long workpieces in line with (on end to) the cutter.
Old Sat 30 May 2009, 04:44
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks Gerald... that is correct !
Jeff... I still prefer hand cut dovetail for small quantities, even over my Leigh and other Dovetail jigs.
On a pair and even up to 4-6 drawers, I’m faster & more efficient by hand vs router assisted jig. It’s all about time management, but also, nothing beats the looks & versatility of a hand cut dovetail.
Must admit, when some production is commissioned or some less than studio type furniture must kick in, then yes routes, jigs and soon... MM...is called for and a MUST.

Seriously, I’m investing in this for the obvious reasons like most of you guys here, fun in making this project, a DIY thing
But also (and mostly) to get another market approach, some type of production, speed and versatility capability.

Thanks Jeff for your input... But I’m aware of those .... but I guess not a hole lot are aware I do studio & custom furniture for a living for the past 10yrs and looking to diversify my capabilities & market with this MM.

Merci, Robert
Old Sat 30 May 2009, 07:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
See also: End boring shelves etc.
Old Sat 30 May 2009, 11:49
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks Gerald, it’s worth considering
Still looking for some different solution... outside of the box type... But again, can’t reinvent the wheel after what has been done & tried out there
Old Tue 02 June 2009, 21:53
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Robert
Gary Campbell has a fixture that does dove tails. I am building mine to do this. This is a real slick set-up.

http://www.shopbottools.com/garysmusings.htm

It's about half way down, I don't know how to link to a middle of a page.
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 03:53
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Dave, thanks for your thought & time on this.
But have a look at Gerald’s link at below post #6, it leads you directly to that link !!
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 06:38
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Dave, thanks for that link, thats the best joinery implementation i've seen that can be easily done on a CNC router. i'm definately going to try that.

Robert, are you sure its the same? That links to a thread on the MM forum, not the SB website. Looks different to me.
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 06:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yup, 2 different links
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 08:51
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Matt...your witnessing what happens when I start thinking/reacting before finishing my 1st morning coffee mug…. I will not supply a photo…
Thanks for the observation witch I did not confirmed and only assume by my unreliable fuzzy morning memory
Soooorry guys, thanks Gerald
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 09:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Gary's jig/tool makes a lot of sense - you hang it over the end of the table when you need it.
Old Fri 26 June 2009, 10:30
Kenrbass
Just call me: Ken

Richmond Tx
United States of America
Mine is a modified version of Gary's. It has been cleaned and painted since the welding/bracing job, but mainly this shows that I leave the end attached to the table. I may make a longer one in the future. Every once in a while I need to do taller drawers and I don't care to drag out the jig. I have the file designed to run the gantry out of the way for changing pieces. I wouldn't want to have to clamp things in the middle of the table. It will do very clean joints.

Kenneth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bot 002 (Small).jpg (53.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg pretty drawer joint (Small).jpg (21.0 KB, 225 views)
Old Fri 26 June 2009, 13:56
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
DeSoto Solar built a small jBot CNC rig just to make joints. Interesting that he
made his tool 'swingable' to enhance its ability. He built this even though he already owned a ShopBot, just to be more versatile and to allow a 'best tool for the job'.

I know it would be a little 'odd', but a small Z like this could be added to the OUTSIDE of the Y-axis trolley.

Ok, Enough 'out of the box thinking' for today!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read