MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Graphics & CAD
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 14 May 2008, 21:33
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
Waybe (for Sketchup), Laminadesign & Moi

Anybody seen this? There are some demo youtubes and lots of discussion groups batting it about. Release date coming up soon. Appears it will be a cheap plug in for Sketchup, giving 3d capabilities including unfolding.
Maybe more importantly, it appears to be within mortal man's capability to actually understand and use.

http://waybe.weebly.com/

Chuck
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 23:54
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chuck,

I stopped looking at Sketchup after I tried Moi 3D. Moi 3D is so easy to use it is worth paying $195. Here is there website.

http://moi3d.com/
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 21:40
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Sailfl,

Does Moi have unfolding capabilities? I'm not overly enamored with Sketchup but this plugin looks hugely functional, very similar to Touch3d but without the price or learning curve.

Chuck
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 06:47
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Chuck,

I do not know what unfolding is? Can you explain?

I would suggest you send an email to the MOI creator or leave a message on the forum.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 07:03
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Sailfl,

Unfolding is the capability to draw a 3 dimensional object and then turn it into flat sheets with cut and bend lines. It's pretty amazing what can be done, if you take a look at the touchcad website you'll see diverse projects such as car bodies, boat hulls, ductwork, all drawn into 3d and then automatically "flattened."

Chuck
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 10:07
grandpi
Just call me: Pierre

Caussens
France
Have a look at laminadesign.com. The software is much more advanced than wayby.weebly, more professional. But the interest of being include in sketchup is very nice ... MOI don't have the ability to unfold 3d volumes.

Pierre.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 22:10
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Pierre,

Ah, but the more capable professional software typically comes with a price...not $ but the more precious currency of life itself as self is devoted to learning yet another intricate, non intuitive bit of wares. In fairness I haven't looked at laminadesigns yet but will. The appeal of Waybe to me is in its simplicity. However, it's still all vapor at this point.

Chuck
Old Tue 21 July 2009, 20:05
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
For non-professional software, I found that there is a Sketchup (free version) addin that generates g-code. I found there is an add-in available to save DXF files from the free version of Sketchup as well.

The g-code version is available on the PhlatForum.com in the Phlatscript download area. This addin is still being tested but seems to work. There are video tutorals available as well.

The DXF export addin is in the guitar-list.com

Last edited by servant74; Tue 21 July 2009 at 20:07.. Reason: poor wording fixed
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 19:40
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Here's an inexpensive "unfolder".
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read