MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 07 January 2008, 09:20
Viperia
Just call me: Tom

Trollhättan
Sweden
All Motion Motors what do you think?

Hello,

Im in the process of building a MechMate Mamba and currently waiting for my laser cut parts to be done and shipped. So when im waiting im looking around for things that i will be needed to buy and since motors is going to be needed and they can get quite expensive i tought it would be a good starting point since i may need to save money a while to afford em.

My build will be a budget build since im a student and dont have unlimited money to put in to my hobby project. Will use the machine to do some small things like cutting out forms for molding things for cars etc.

Well over to the motors now shall we? All Motion is a swedish company (im from sweden if you wonder) that makes their own motors but also sells motors of the brand Sanyo Denki which are an Japanese manufacturer. I know quite many people that use the All Motion´s own brand of steppers but only their smaller motors and they use them on small cnc routers but they also have a range of bigger motors i have been looking on 3 different motors and now i would like to get some input and thoughts about them and if they will fit the bill.

As for quality on the motors i have heard nothing but good, as i said i know quite a few here in sweden that run these motors on smaller cnc routers and other projects with no trouble at all and ofcourse i have 1 year of warranty on them or it may even be 2 years.

The motors are the following: 60STH88 for around 110 USD, 60STH100 for around 150 USD and the 86STH80 for 220 USD.

60STH88 Specs:
Holdingtorque: 3.10 Nm = 440 oz/in.
Step angle: 1.8°.
Rated phase current: 2.5A.
Weight: 1400g

60STH100 Specs:
Holdingtorque: 3.6 Nm = xx oz/in.
Rated phase current: 5.0A.
Weight: 1400g

86STH80 Specs:
Holdingtorque: 4.5 Nm = 640 oz/in.
Rated phase current: 6.3A.
Weight: 2300g

For me since on a budget i would go for the smaller motor i guess and start with direct drive what do you think guys or are these motors to small? If im not misstaken myself Gerald´s Mech Mate has motors with a Holdingtorque of around 6-7 Nm and direct drive?

More info on the motors can be found in this .PDF: http://bergan.se/downloads/86STH.pdf and http://www.allmotion.se/files/pdf/934.pdf for the larger motor.

Regards,
Viperia

Last edited by Viperia; Mon 07 January 2008 at 09:31.. Reason: Spelling
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 11:02
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The small motors will not work with direct drive. The 86STH80 is the only motor that will be okay with direct-drive.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 14:40
Viperia

Trollhättan
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The small motors will not work with direct drive. The 86STH80 is the only motor that will be okay with direct-drive.
Started to thinking that after much reading of the motor forums well atleast i havent bought anything so its just back to looking around to see what you can get hold on for a decent price.

Regards,
Viperia
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 15:44
Viperia

Trollhättan
Sweden
By the way, is there any need for using a motor of same power and size on the z-axis? I mean it does not need the same power and speed etc as the x and y-axis does, right?

So i could go for a smaller motor there which will be cheaper and save me some money, or am i wrong?

I also found this: http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....products_id=11 the two bigger sized motors look good on paper i guess but they also looks to cheap, something important i missed or what? They are of the brand http://www.cnsoyo.com from what i read on the cnczone.com forums and other places.

Regards,
Viperia

Last edited by Viperia; Mon 07 January 2008 at 16:04..
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 22:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I have never experimented with a smaller motor for the z-axis, but I think that is risky. The z-axis has a different set of loads:
- the weight of the router/spindle is maybe not correctly compensated
- the friction of the gas spring
- some cutters need a lot of force for them to plunge into the material in the z-direction.
- when you read of problems that guys are having with their routers, it is by far mostly the z-axis that gives problems compared to the x and y.

The cnsoyo motors look okay.
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 22:20
Viperia

Trollhättan
Sweden
I see Gerald, never tought about that really i was under the impression that it was the easier axis because of it small travel etc but i guess you know the MechMate best. :P

But the Cnsoyo motors are quite cheap so will be no big economical problem on getting them all in same size and power.

Are going to talk directly to cnsoyo and see what they can give me for price quote on some suitable motors.

Regards,
Viperia
Old Mon 07 January 2008, 22:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you had a belt/gearbox reduction on the z-axis, or you used a fine leadscrew instead of a rack&pinion, then you can use a smaller motor because you can afford to go much slower for the z. (Slower gearing = more torque).
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 00:32
Viperia

Trollhättan
Sweden
Hello again,

I have been talking to a sales person at cnsoyo.com and she recommended me their SY85STH118-6004A motor that you can get in either 4 or 8 lead, i guess 4 will do it right?

Does the other specs look good? http://cnsoyo.com/cp_1_12_e.asp

The price i was quoted is as follows:
SY85STH118
1-99pcs $46.19
100-499pcs $40.03

Must say that it looks much better than buying motors for over 100usd, but must be a reason for the cheapness etc so i need to do some research in the quality first. The total price of the motors are around 190 USD excluding shipping but that price is what i had to pay for ONE! of the all motion motor or one of the Oriental ones.

Regards,
Viperia
Old Fri 15 February 2008, 08:53
hignog
Just call me: Andrew

Dorchester
United Kingdom
MCP and Allmotion distribute for Fulling motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperia View Post
By the way, is there any need for using a motor of same power and size on the z-axis? I mean it does not need the same power and speed etc as the x and y-axis does, right?

So i could go for a smaller motor there which will be cheaper and save me some money, or am i wrong?

I also found this: http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....products_id=11 the two bigger sized motors look good on paper i guess but they also looks to cheap, something important i missed or what? They are of the brand http://www.cnsoyo.com from what i read on the cnczone.com forums and other places.

Regards,
Viperia
Old Fri 15 February 2008, 09:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks for the mention of Fulling, Andrew. Found their website. This motor/gearbox looks interesting.
Old Mon 18 February 2008, 10:20
hignog
Just call me: Andrew

Dorchester
United Kingdom
Those gearboxes are ok if you are going in one direction, but if backlash is a concern, then stay clear.
If you want a gearbox for a stepper (CNC or any precision application) then look for a good planetary)
Those gearboxes have backlash of about 1 degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Thanks for the mention of Fulling, Andrew. Found their website. This motor/gearbox looks interesting.
Old Sun 02 March 2008, 19:10
eerwanto
Just call me: eer

Indonesia
Indonesia
Motor

can i use this motor ??

DC MOTOR WITH GEARBOX 24V 8kg-cm 180rpm
input : 24Vdc 1,5A 8kg-cm 180rpm
dimention: 9cm X 7cm

its used part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC Motor.jpg (23.3 KB, 380 views)
Old Sun 02 March 2008, 21:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Using DC motors is possible, but it is a completely different technology to using stepper motors. You have to add feedback (encoders) for DC motors. If it is a geared motor, you have to know that the backlash is close to zero, before you start considering the motor.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read