MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Fri 06 December 2013, 16:33
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I think he is already on it.
Old Fri 06 December 2013, 17:06
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
I work part time, and go back on Tuesday
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 05:25
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Construction has officially started

Got 50% of the base welded over the weekend and continued today to start the final pieces. Did a quick check to see if everything was fitting as per the pic.

I was going to weld the side panels but after spending the day trying to do just that I have decided to bolt everything so my tack welds will be broken and mounting plates added to each section. I have more work for the next couple of days so the next update will probably be around this coming weekend.

It is definitely exciting seeing this thing go together, so looking forward to doing more!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-Started---MM-Forum.jpg (63.2 KB, 870 views)
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 05:30
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Looks very sturdy Bruce.

Ross
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 06:00
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Looking good mate !
Will you be offering those bikes for sale on the net ?
Looks as if some of that other stuff will have to go as well, or will you be going on a diet ?
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 20:43
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks guys Al, its being initially built on my garage entry driveway, I can't get it in my garage just yet as my other 4x4 cnc is in there along with a long neglected model railroad in the making. Oh and alot of that in the driveway is destined for the skip bin that I haven't got yet
Old Tue 10 December 2013, 00:59
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
You'll need a skip when your MechMate gets going.
Offcuts, Skeletons & lots of lovely dust.

Whats the story with the other C.N.C. ?
I cannibalized mine.
The bed ended up as a top for a bench, somewhere else to stack offcuts and junk.
Old Tue 10 December 2013, 01:04
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Hahaha, thats what most of what is in the background is, offcuts and failed projects.

The other CNC is a Joes CNC, one of the original leadscrew versions, aluminium extrusion and MDF. Never had much luck with creating anything of worth from it. I could have enhanced it to make it better but for a little more I could build the machine I have always wanted, namely a Mechmate so the decision was made to just fix up the old one once my MM is cutting. That machine will end up in the driveway to make room for the beast in the garage
Old Tue 10 December 2013, 04:31
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Once you get your MM going... I doubt you will bother with your old Joes any more...
Old Wed 11 December 2013, 17:59
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Been looking for more 65x50x6 for the past couple of days with no luck. The last place I got my other lot from now have a $250.00 minimum spend. Ended up buying 65x65x6 instead which only means a little more effort to get one leg down to 28mm. Oh well, such is life.
Old Wed 11 December 2013, 18:15
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I agree Ken. The entry level machine I posted pics of at the beginning of my build thread has gone untouched since the first day the MM came to life.
Probably should sell it to someone else looking for an entry level machine.
Old Sun 15 December 2013, 02:52
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
A little more progress. Lower table fully welded, tomorrows job is to perfectly square it up (currently 4mm out of square) and drill & weld the PFC mounting plates and foot plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM-Base-Almost-Done.jpg (59.2 KB, 809 views)
Old Mon 16 December 2013, 18:42
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Found my 25 yr old drill press wasn't big enough to drill the 200PFC and was dreading drilling holes with a power drill. Happened upon a drill press for sale at the local camper manufacturer yesterday and bought it today for $200. Lovely old beast built like a tank, comes with a 20mm chuck, multi speed etc etc. Give me an old used too any day over a chinese import new one!
Old Mon 16 December 2013, 20:14
pblackburn

United States of America
Speaking of tanks, your frame is one. That puppy is solid. Nice work!
Old Mon 16 December 2013, 21:08
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Pete, wanted to make it as flex proof as possible. Didn't want any "leaning on the machine" to affect the cutting like some other cnc's out there
Old Tue 17 December 2013, 17:32
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Frame looks about right to me...
Old Tue 17 December 2013, 18:46
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
Mike needs to move you into the Construction Started heading. I think you are well out of the planning stage.
Old Tue 17 December 2013, 19:06
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Speaking of moving, have you got an overhead crane or will you invite the rugby club over.
Looking good.
Old Tue 17 December 2013, 20:14
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Mike for the move!

Al, she is all bolt together so I am simply unbolting the bits and reassembling the right way up, no cranes involved, only muscle for the main beams
Old Wed 18 December 2013, 11:07
pblackburn

United States of America
Bruce,

If it is all bolt together. Once you have it leveled and square, take the time to put in locating pins/dowels and stamp each piece as to location (ie AA, 1E etc. Then if you have to move it later to another location, setup will be easier.
Old Wed 18 December 2013, 23:01
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Good idea Pete, thanks. Was just looking at metal stamps on ebay, bit pricey but I will continue to look for some cheapo sets. Will also grab some roll pins for the task.

Oh, and got my final motor plus a roll of tape for sticking the rack on. Went with Husky tape, $65 odd for a 16.5m roll of 2mm thick, 15mm wide A5200W. Priced 3M VHB but it was double that here in Aus. Bought my toroid (35V 4.5A x2 300VA), my 10000uf 100V caps and the bridge rectifier the day before.

All I have left to buy is some wire, a gas strut, one more motor spring and work out the cable chain stuff. All I will need after that is time......

Last edited by racedirector; Wed 18 December 2013 at 23:06..
Old Wed 18 December 2013, 23:11
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Just use a center punch.
1 dot to 1 dot.
2 dots to 2 dots and so on.

Or you could do a dotty A,B and so on.
Old Wed 18 December 2013, 23:16
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Brilliant Al, sometimes it takes others to point out the simple methods instead of over thinking and spending money. In my case spending money is a bad thing!
Old Thu 19 December 2013, 00:29
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand

My father taught me to be economical.
All the company's I worked for were tight fisted.
I learned to make do with what I had and to be inventive.
Glad to have helped.
Old Thu 19 December 2013, 06:28
pblackburn

United States of America
Don't use a roll pin, they will shear or suffer shear marks between the two pieces of steel when a force is applied for a long period of time. Use of alignment dowels is preferred then roll pins if you cannot obtain them.
Old Thu 19 December 2013, 08:19
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I used chisel to mark not only the numbers , also as locating marks. but after I has access to laser cutting, locating is made very easy & by default.
& yes, I use numbers of dots for numbering.
Old Fri 03 January 2014, 03:10
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I gave my old CNC a chance to be resurrected while I build my beast today and it let me down as usual. So as punishment I am pulling it apart tomorrow to make room for the MM to be built in the comfort of a closed garage.

With that done I am hoping to have something workable by the end of January 2014 depending on work. Roll on 2014, the blue beast is coming
Old Fri 03 January 2014, 04:43
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
You know what they say,
"Out with the old and in with the new".

Wishing you all the best for the year ahead.
Old Wed 15 January 2014, 19:03
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Just rang a local one man engineering shop to ask about boring out my pinions. Quoted $10-15 each which I thought was pretty good - $40 to $60.00 for the lot and more accurate than me using a drill press. Will drop them up next week.

No progress on my build, still clearing the garage inbetween the heatwave days here in Sydney's West. Old machine is gone though so have no CNC to distract me from my task.
Old Fri 24 January 2014, 07:01
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Made some progress this week, hope to have the machine standing right side up ready for the top bits by the end of the weekend.... in the garage instead of the driveway

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts