MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 28 January 2010, 08:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
. . . .
Then go to Mach3 and re-configure the pins and ports so that the X-Axis signals are outputted to my Z-Axis . . . .
Save your current Mach3Mill.xml file as MechMate.xml, and make another copy of it as Indexer.xml.

When you run Mach3.exe, it will ask you which "profile" you want and it will list MechMate and Indexer as options.

Might as well make a BackUpJan2010.xml while you are about it....
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 11:11
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's guys,

I made a new profile in Mach called Y Z Lathe. Did the new configurations....The X-setup I used the Z-pins. Left Y- as is and disabled Z.
Loaded my leg PROFILE in V-Carve Pro.somewhere to the left of the page.
Did the toolpath....used a ballnose cutter
Loaded the g-code into Mach, raised my Z-axis high, closed my eyes and hit START.

Well, it moved along the Y-axis and Z- did some up and downs.
Brought Z- to Zero and did it again.
Y- axix moved up and down the wood but Z-axis still cut air.
I now have to play with WHERE to put the profile in my X-Axis in the program so that it will cut into the wood. Maybe invert the profile to look in the other direction.

Will play again tomorrow or the weekend.
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 07:25
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
ok week end is almost over here - can we see more pictures

want to know how the toys were put to use
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 10:29
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Still fighting with the turning of the PROFILED legs...Asked Vectric a question on it and the response back was.....Sorry only with Aspire.....I don't agree and will investigate further even if it means learning G-code...cannot be that difficult...All I need is to move along the Y-axis, plunge to depth -Z, pull up, go to position New Y and plunge a little deeper etc. G-Code must be able to give an ARC as well to make that HOLLOW part.

Maybe somebody with Aspire can do one and forward me the G-Code for investigation.

Finished some taper flute legs this afternoon after coming back from the dam.

DSC01036.JPG

Today after lunch we tried to go to the Vaaldam to see the water....14 gates are open they say.....but it looked as though everybody in Gauteng had the same idea. After 2 hours in traffic jams, turned back.....to come and play on old BBB.

DSC01032.JPG

DSC01035.JPG
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 11:22
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

Those are nice looking legs
Old Sun 31 January 2010, 21:10
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Dam duiker!Jy kom reg met daai draaiwerk.Hoe lank het dit jou gevat om een te draai?
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 07:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Today I had a visit from Brad...also building a MM in Johannesburg.

He helped me out with some software...THANKS BRAD...

He did a table leg, saved it as a 4th axis -G-Code. I took the file stripped all the extra lines out...substituted the X position with Y-positions and look at the results.

Now I can modify this G-code file to my liking and don't even have to use expensive programs.

DSC01043.JPG

turn1.txt
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 12:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I did it MY WAY....

Well I could not wait any longer and had no time to learn the new software....will do later...
I just had to turn a leg...show a leg...so this is how I did it.

I imported a leg file into V-Carve pro. Moved it so that it is below the material size border. This gives me a 0,0 point.
I then move my cursor along the outline and record the X and Y values.
I make a G-Code file and substitute the X with a Y....because this is how my indexer is setup....
The Y is substituted with a Z.

Vectric 500mm leg.JPG

Save the G-Code file.

Go and make a 46mm piece of wood a little ROUND with the gadgets in V-Carve Pro.....about 6 minutes on this big piece.

Then disconnect my stepper, start the lathe electric motor and watch the magic.

I started with a 3mm bit, but it only got halfway. Changed to a 9.5mm straight bit and finished the piece...about 8 minutes with the toolchange.

DSC01049.JPG

Here is the G-Code file.....this took me about 35 minutes to generate manually.

500MM POOT1.txt

Watch the Video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSh06ge-pXA
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 19:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nicely Done Kobus! This is very interesting all th work you are doing with the indexer and lathe. This is definitely one area I would like to explore with my table.
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 22:11
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I like what you are doing.The market for turned legs where I am is anything from R 150-R 280. start manufacturing and sell it to small furniture manufacturing company`s bet you will recover your layout cost chop chop.Geniet dit ek het net nie nou tyd om aan my draaibank te werk nie ek is besig met iets wat my masjien laat oortyd werk presies waarvoor hy gemaak is
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 06:21
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Eventually

After playing and trying different things on old BBB, I finally can say that I think I have tried all the options that I want out of this wonderful machine. Old BBB can do anything as long as the operator has the correct software and a bit of understanding as to what he want to achieve.

The other day I started my computer and noticed a new Icon....I opend it up and found a nice looking CAM package hidden there. .....thanks little Fairy .....This thing can do STL files and thus my 3D work can now be cut on old BBB.

Below is a piece that I used for a TEST DRIVE. Size 800mm x 100mm
Took 20 minutes with the rough cut 9.35 mm cutter
And 53 minute Finishing with a 3mm ballnose. I could have done the overlap a bit smaller...had it at 30% therefore quicker cut time, but some line on piece.

Overall a happy chappie.

Look at the video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42hYiC0AWy8

DSC01056.JPG
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 07:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
First we have Durban surfer impressing us, and now an Eskom bloke from Boksburg. This country is going downhill fast!
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 08:10
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Very Nice Kobus! Where did you find the 3D relief file, did it come with the package?
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 10:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Gerald, Gerald, Gerald....you are losing it... I am not from DOOSBERG.....I am from the Far East... BRAKPAN.... When do you change my heading ?

Heath, I Google FREE STL file and got to a site....did not bookmark it, but here is another.... http://cnc3dart.narod.ru/free.html a bit slow from over here.
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 12:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Boksburg, Brakpan, Benoni, alles dieselfe.
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 12:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Is that what BBB stands for ????
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 12:38
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Remind me again , , , , was it Big Blue Beast?
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 13:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Boksburg, Brakpan, Benoni,
Big Blue Beast
Big Blue Brakpan
Beloved Blue Beauty

Call it what you like.... this thing is MAGIC.....
Old Fri 12 February 2010, 13:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
BallasBakBabbalas?
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 06:58
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Now that I am comfortable with the 3D setup, I decided it's time to use REAL wood. This piece will be part of a stepped front of a hall table.
Length 600mm
Width 110mm

Cutting time Rough 9.35mm straight cutter = 22 minutes
Cutting time Finish 3mm ballnose with 10% step = 52 minutes

I did change the Z-axis plunge acc. and velocity to be a bit quicker.

At the start it looks like nothing.

DSC01061.JPG

At the end with NO sanding...straight off old BBB and with a little bit of oil...

DSC01067.JPG
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 07:29
Brad Maritz
Just call me: Brad

Joburg
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Brad Maritz
That really look great. It good to see you are mastering 3D software.You need to start turning this into a business.
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 07:52
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Business....that sounds like work.....At the moment I enjoy every minute of it.
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 20:53
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
That is a fine piece. Your spoilboard, on the other hand could use a surfacing!
Old Sat 13 February 2010, 22:34
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I know but for some reason cannot find the time
Old Sun 14 February 2010, 05:24
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
That is a nice problem to have these days for sure !!!
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 09:19
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Kobus

You use VcarvePro, but do you also have Cut3D? I wonder what more can be done with Cut3d.

Dave
Old Mon 15 February 2010, 12:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Dave, I don't have Cut3d. The OTHER program that I now use I am not telling what it is as it is on LOAN....
Old Thu 18 February 2010, 11:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well I think we have some problems with our steppers from China. They are held captive in Customs. MotionKing quoted us a price that was paid via PayPal.
When South African Customs looked at it, they found an invoice far lower than what we paid. We did not ask for a modified invoice. Now customs want MotionKing to pay a R 3500.00 penalty for this. FedEx is trying to get them to pay up, but so far Mr MotionKing is VERY VERY quit. I was told by the lady at FedEx that if he does not pay up, we will not see our steppers... I have send all the info that I had with MotionKing to FedEx and proved that we did not ask for the invoices to be changed, and therefore have no hand in the matter. Any suggestions ??
Old Thu 18 February 2010, 11:15
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Kobus,

motionking should beable to issue a correct invoice with the correct price and you should beable to hand this over to customs.

I has similar problems with customs here where some part code was incorrect code and the items where held back, after 6 weeks of talking and sending mails, paying Fedup a additional price AND 50% taxes over the goods I got my parts.

Kobus, you ned to handle as fast as possible because Fedex might charge you 'storage' cost during the time your parts lay in customs.

Ries
Old Thu 18 February 2010, 11:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks, Ries, I have also send a request to PayPal to see if they can put some pressure on them or pay my money back.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts