MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 28 July 2009, 12:12
myozman
Just call me: Mike #16

Demotte,IN
United States of America
Number of starts - How many have started the project? What % of starts finish?

How many have started the project? What percentage of starts finish? It seems there is a lot of interest in building, but not as many finished units.

It's well worth the effort to finish. The machine is more than capable, The only limitation is the user's understanding of the software. I'm doing and learning with every project. I first wanted a machine to cut panels, but now I really enjoy doing 3d.

I'm using Vectric V-Carve and just received Aspire. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks again Gerald for a great design.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 01:46
Oleks
Just call me: Oleks

Poltava
Ukraine
Well, in other way - who has spent more than 100 hours here and more than $500 on parts?

me
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 02:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
You are not alone Oleks, but you are the only guy willing to admit it.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 03:47
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Admitting what most senior members suspect, how can I hide from these facts:
I have stop documented my hours of reading here, on the mechmate forum alone, after 300hrs, and that was last year !!
Well over 200 hrs on conceptual, drawings & other reading source!
I’m in at over 3K$+ and still not totally there as for what is all needed to a minimum to start the build (still no metal for base table and some).

Wait.... you’ll see more will show up and admitting ....No shame here...
Robert
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 05:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Somehow, Robert was the first guy I thought of when this thread started
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 16:11
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Whew Gerald, I though you were going to say me. My shop has to be done so I can work during the winter. We NEED heat in the shop here in the winters or you simply cannot work. Robert knows what I mean.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 18:57
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Heath,

I won't work in my unheated garage in the winter and I'm pretty far south of you. I would think you might need heat in the summers up there.
Even when we have the heat on in the garage, it usually is never over 15 deg C ( 60F for the US guys).

Last edited by domino11; Sat 01 August 2009 at 19:11..
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 19:09
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Doug,
I probably wouldnt need heat in your area at all. I usually dont heat the garage until it gets under 0 degC. 5 deg C is not bad, depending on what you are doing. Not good for painting the MM though.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 21:07
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I guess you get acclimatized to your location. When we lived in Tampa, Florida, it would get down to 40 degrees F for one week out of the year and everyone would wear long underwear and down parkas.
Old Sat 01 August 2009, 21:53
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Up here, we take off the parkas at that temp and wear spring coats.
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 00:13
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
We don't heat up our space here, only problem is over-heating and nope, we don't get heatwave not

This forum is so addictive and time just flies by... I'd clocked in over 100hours in less then 2 months and over $1.5k poorer, and yet no physical progress yet...
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 03:09
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I think there are a few people that are building in the BACKGROUND. My next door neighbour mentioned my machine to a retired Engineer that he used to work with. He came to visit a few months ago to have a look...and the rest is history. From time to time I get a phone call and a quick chat. He stays on a plot (small farm) and does not have access to internet. He registered via his son I think, and I supplied all the files on a CD to him. Friday he phone me and offered me a bandsaw ...for free.. if I come and help him out a little....well you guys know me...I was there in a flash...supplied him with a folder with quotes on motors, bearing from Rick, BOB, power supply, rack and etc from Greg in Edenvale.
Well this was my Saturday used up.

Here is Ray Buck next to his 3 meter MechMate.
Sorry for the focus, but it was so damm cold in that workshop that I could not get a good picture with my phone.

IMG00106.jpg
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 03:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
See last picture in this post. There are plenty more like that

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read