MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 December 2014, 14:40
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Yea, I thought about creating one like Regnar but then thought what happens when it meets clamps?

Going to redesign my shoe not to have full bristles all the way round. It will basically be a chamber from the back of the Z with a circle of brush around the bit area. I found with a full shoe suction disappeared when the back was hanging over the table at max X
Old Wed 17 December 2014, 14:54
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Bruce,
Fill that hole with some bondo and you are back in business!
Brilliant idea Heath! Will dig out my can and get filling
Old Wed 17 December 2014, 14:58
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Speaking of my new dust shoe design, it will be sort of based on this one:

http://www.kronosrobotics.com/air-ex...s/airexchanger

I have a bunch of 3mm acrylic panels that will be cut up to give my shoe body some depth. The shoe, as mentioned, will have a removable brush around the spindle only held on with magnets. Its all currently in my head, just need to get it out of there and into CAD
Old Wed 17 December 2014, 15:01
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Bruce,
I was doing some mdf raised panel doors a few years ago and had a slip on the router table. Bondo came to my rescue more than once on that job. Worked great with the mdf and once painted you would not know it was there.
Old Wed 17 December 2014, 15:08
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
*Like*! <- Lack of Like button
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 18:45
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Like is only fair if Dis-Like is also available
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 20:18
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Nah, according to Facebook CEO dislike is a bad thing hence them not having one. Wish they did though, I'd dislike the whole place
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 21:05
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
That is why I have been tempted, more than once, just to delete my facebook account. But there are some family members that this is the ONLY communications we have (yes, sad, I know, but it is life for some).
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 21:59
pblackburn

United States of America
I am the minority in social activities, don't have a Facebook account nor feel I need one. I find the 'No' to the dislike is representative of the teachings now; how you can't say no, that is just dumb, what are you thinking, etc, etc, etc... Never hurt any of us. And without those things, building a machine like the Mechmate would cause the newer generation so much stress from failure. It is a learning experience of which failure is a major part of. My 2¢
Old Wed 24 December 2014, 17:58
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Found a problem the other day, yup another one One of my belt drives was acting weird, jumping teeth on the rack and causing havoc with my cuts. So I pull it apart and it looked like the shaft was bent. Turned out the pinion on that drive was faulty. The center bore wasn't drilled on center, their doing, not mine. Got onto the supplier on ebay and they supplied another via express post. Going to fit that today as we have cousins coming over and I want to carve the little ones room plaques while they watch the "robot" do its thing
Old Sat 27 December 2014, 16:40
Bazza
Just call me: Bazza

South West Rocks
Australia
Hey Bruce
You did it!!
Well done mate, nothing like perseverance to get the job done
I have built my workshop but unfortunately my wife's health has stopped all Mechmate progress (discovered she has a terminal illness).
I have all the metal minus the tool steel and a few other bits and peices so perhaps sometime next year I will get a move on with mine
Again, congrats mate
Bazza
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 02:55
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I must sell my beloved MM. But before I do I need to do one more job and that involves aluminium.

A friend of mine wants me to cut out and engrave some panels for his barbecue. This will involve cutting 3 mm sheet and engraving and cutting 2mm sheet. My question comes about the engraving bit as I have never engraved/vcarved anything but timber. I have a couple of V-bits, namely a 60 degree laser point CMT bit and its brother the 90 degree bit. Are these suitable for engraving a logo onto 2mm ali? As for cutting them out, I already have a 1/8 and 1/4 Viper bit specifically for aluminium so am good to go in that respect. Its just the engraving part that has me stumped. Any help appreciated
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 16:20
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Sorry to hear your beloved #122 will be sold. Condolences. The good thing is if life changes you can build another if you want!
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 18:45
pblackburn

United States of America
Sorry, I have no recommendations for the aluminum cutting. I am also sorry to hear of the retiring of your machine. Just do what is best for you and yours, another machine of some type can be built later if you require it.
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 10:29
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Feel sorry for you...after all this trouble shooting !!! not much time to....have fun with it ?!
Was your chatter only from the off center pinion ?....or some other issue too ?
Best of luck on all what's heading
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 22:10
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks guys, I am now giving myself until mid April to improve things and if it doesn't happen she will go. I really don't want to sell, too much time and energy has gone into the beast.
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 01:50
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Well, the good news is I don't have to sell my baby, I lucked out and got some casual work. Bad news is I don't have that much spare cash to buy stock to make things but that is way better than getting rid of the beast!
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 04:49
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Good for you Bruce.
Any furniture makers or woodworking shops near you ?
They might have offcuts to give away or sell.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 06:00
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I think there are a few cabinet makers around, will try and do some "dumpster" diving. In the meantime, I have been collecting small pallets from work in the hope that all the small bits of timber can be glued into something workable
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 22:47
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Bruce,you can cut plastic`s also so there is another market that you can tap or go to your cabinet makers around you and do their cutting service for them that way they supply the material and you just cut away.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 22:55
pblackburn

United States of America
Custom 3D work on cabinet doors and drawers is another. Sell yourself, not the machine. That is the problem that plagues most. You can have a great machine but people buy from you not the machine.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 02:04
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks for the ideas guys, appreciated. Will hopefully be able to start doing that in the coming days. I was planning on doing a few samples with some MDF and foam I have at the moment.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:12
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
A huge part of my business model is cutting radius templates for a local millwork shop, an opportunity I didn't even know existed pre build.
They supply material, all I buy is bits and paper to bill them with.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:35
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Wouldn't have thought of that in a million years Darren, thanks for the heads up!
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:40
pblackburn

United States of America
Check with any casting facilities. They have molds that need made. Where I work they have asked if I was interested about making the templates out of wood and plastic for forming their sand molds. That is another choice.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:45
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
You guys are awesome, thanks for all these great ideas!!!
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:57
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Me neither, Bruce. They came to me. It seems they have a handheld router set up on a 10' compass or trammel, and cut their own blanks for any radius below 120". Over 120", its easier for me to cut it out, exact width of their finished piece, they then use a pattern bit to get their final blank size to run through the molder. They usually draw the part too, so all I do is import and toolpath it. Easy Peasy.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:59
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
There is a guy here with a big iron machine who makes molds for a precast concrete company, for things like address plaques and odd shaped, one off caps for brick columns... They keep him pretty busy.
The work is out there.
Old Sun 24 May 2015, 01:32
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Decided to make some improvements to my machine after seeing some weird stuff in the cuts. I have always had these "strange" noises coming from the X motors so I decided to check things out a little more. Turns out the PFC beams, although level across the machine between the two of them, are not level within themselves over the whole length. Each beam seems to twist at various points producing a wave effect, which in my opinion, is causing issues with everything above it.

So I set about removing the angle and taking the racks off.... what a job that was. That damn industrial tape does not want to let go... in most cases. I ended up using a plaster board saw to basically removed the guts of the tape from between the rack and the steel. In a way it was lucky I did as one side wasn't actually stuck to the steel very well and had started to pull away.

So now I have the beams without the angle I will devise a method to get each ones tops level in relation to the base that will, in effect, make the angle sitting on top perfectly vertical. One way I am thinking of doing it is using levelling epoxy on the tops which in its liquid form finds it own level. If anyone else has another idea I am all ears
Old Sun 24 May 2015, 01:58
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Just remembered Pete's machine and I think I will try the grub screw method. As my rails will need to go both ways I will install 2 grub screws per bolt, one on the inside, one on the outside, which should allow me to get them level at any point along the length. Off to count how many I need

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read