MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 23 April 2015, 07:39
BFreaky
Just call me: BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Gathering parts, need help please

Hello everyone

I've been reading alot on this forum and decided to build a cnc plasma cutter for my own purposes. I'm coming from Europe, Croatia to be exact. I see you guys have alot of experience so I would like to ask you to help me. Mechanics present no problem for me, but choosing the right motors, drivers PS and Bboard is a problem.

First, I would like to ask for an opinion. On a table size of 3 x 1.6 meters, do I need to use 2 motors for the X axis or is one sufficient?

Also, are these motors listed below strong enough for this task or should I ask for larger (nema 34)?

I plan to use rack and pinion, and belt reductions 3:1 on all motors.

I got the following offer from Leadshine dealer in Europe:

Driver: 1pcs Leadshine MX4660;
Motors: 4pcs Mecheltron 60BYGH450E-02A;
Power Supply: 1pcs Hengfu HF320W-SC-48 (320W 48V) s

Old Thu 23 April 2015, 10:30
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Since most people here recommend larger motors, here is a list of available Nema 34 motors...but I can't decide which model would be the best.

Advice please

Old Fri 24 April 2015, 04:12
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I see two on the list I would consider. Read here and learn the formula and then pick one.

http://mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I would also tell you to stick to the plans , so yes two X axis motors.
Old Fri 24 April 2015, 06:48
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
So...considering all that...would your choice be model: 86 BYGH 450D-02 wired unipolar? Or I figured things the wrong way? What about the mx 4660 and power supply? I browsed the forum and no one seems to use leadshine mx controller...why?
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 01:22
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Advice anyone? I'm kinda limited with the budget...can't afford spending money on wrong components...
I meantime got some 3 m racks and pinions module 1..
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 05:53
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Why don't you narrow down the list and tell us which are your choices.
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 07:49
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Well BFreaky, I think you'll have better luck if you plan your build yourself, and ask for advice on your choices, than to ask the members here to plan your build for you.
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 08:56
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
I'm just asking for advice. I have chosen the leadshine mx 4660, power supply and rack and pinions. my question is about the motor selection because I have zero experience with that.
So the model 86 BYGH 450D - 02 seems right according to the instructions from link MetalHead provided...

But I'm not sure that's why I'm asking
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 19:02
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I think you should look at motors with a phase inductance less that 2
Old Sun 26 April 2015, 23:10
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Thank you very much for your help. That narrowed the list to 2 motors, just as you said before. I'm sorry I didn't realize that before. So, I believe my choice will be the second motor on the list below. I also found some belts and pulleys as suggested on the forums. Here is the picture. The description of pulleys says it's for Nema 23, but i suppose I can make a bigger hole on pulleys and there should be enough material left around the shaft on a small pulley...

Old Sun 03 May 2015, 03:23
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Has anyone tried to use closed loop stepper from Leadshine. Leadshine dealer suggested the closed loop system as a great solution because of accuracy and said there's no loss of steps etc. Is that possible?
Old Sun 03 May 2015, 06:44
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Do not use them, but know other cnc with them, and happy with them. In short, if you have the extra cash laying around, buy it. If not, don't.. Your mm will work with closed loop or standard steppers.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 19:29
james burrus
Just call me: james

new jersey
United States of America
It looks like you are headed in The right direction
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 22:11
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
James, are you reffering to closed loop idea or to my Nema 34 motor selection?
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:09
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I've read that closed loop motors will know they missed steps, but your workpiece is still just as trashed as they would be with open loop....A simplified explanation but valid.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:20
islaww
Just call me: Gary C

UP of Michigan
United States of America
Let me add a caveat to Darren's post. I have experience with the Leadshine "Easy Servo" CL steppers.

Most if not all closed loop steppers are capable of "alarming out" at a user set threshold. This means you can set that threshold to be 1 encoder count. So in that case you would not damage any material. That said, you also need to deal with alarms on any of 4 axes where there is a sub one thousandths lag or resistance. Most would choose a higher threshold. With each increase in trigger level, you have the ability to have more "damage". Its a double edge sword.

All in all, I have the 1200 ozin versions on 5m pitch screws and they are torque monsters. I can recommend them, but you will have to play with the settings to get them to your individual liking. At work we use 4-6 sets of 4 a month (for almost a year) and have no problems to date
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 06:52
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Thanks for adding to that, Gary.
Guys like you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this stuff.
I'm glad you all share your knowledge so generously.
Old Sun 10 May 2015, 00:11
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
The only problem with the easy servo motors is the price. I think I will use those Nema 34 with 3.9 nm holding torque. Considering those motors what do you guys think, would a 48 V power supply be enough or should I buy 60 V?
Old Mon 18 May 2015, 07:12
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Ok, so i figured everything else up except for thc...

I found many different Torch height controlletrs, but am not sure which one to order. Most of people here use Mechmate as a mill, not a plasma so they don't need this part.
Does anyone have any experience with this THC and is it good?

Old Mon 18 May 2015, 09:26
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Choosing this THc would also mean I don't need Z axis motor, right?
Old Mon 25 May 2015, 04:42
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
From my experience this would be best for flame cutting and on occasional plasma cut as voltage thc should be more precise than this and cut on more irregular pieces
Old Tue 14 July 2015, 10:56
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Did some real research...turns out it's more afordable to cut with gas than plasma. I visited few shops in the area and they all say plasma is too expensive inacurate and can only be used for thin sheets...soo...I think I will choose oxy fuel cutter.
Old Thu 23 July 2015, 02:26
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
If you cut 20mm and up plates than yes its similar speed and affordable than plasma. Below that (0-15mm) you can't beat the plasma and the ease of setup.
Don't think that cutting with gas is a walk in the park, I have seen only couple of guys that can set the flame just right in seconds.
The thing about plasma being inaccurate is first time I hear this. HD plasma can cut bolt ready and tap ready holes M8 and above... I don't see flame cutters doing that.
Also oxy cutting heats the material much deeper around the cut than plasma and changes its properties.

You have just not entered the right shops
Old Fri 24 July 2015, 07:20
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
They have Kjellberg High definition plasma and in makes a slope of almost 3 mm when cutting 10 mm plate. When you cut for example round holes they never turn out to be right dimension. That turns out to be quite anoying
Old Fri 24 July 2015, 07:49
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Well they don't know to cut with it ... inadequate height, gas pressure, nozzle, feedrate, leadin, machine not rigid etc makes those kind of problems.

Look here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIpgBNyXBs

and here
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=17033

Its your choice but flame cutting compared to plasma is like tuning a carburetor engine versus ECU controlled modern engine chip tuning.
Old Tue 28 July 2015, 21:16
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
This can turn into a never ending argument, which is better that is. I have worked in places with each type of equipment. Without knowing the properties of the type of steel or alloy they are cutting, preventive maintenance and quality of consumables used it is hard to speculate. If you are looking for laser precision off of a high quality high power CO2 laser machine, HDP is the only one that can get close within the same range of sheet thickness but will lose tolerance in holes but it has to be a well made high def plasma machine. Oxy fuel is quite common for thicker steel but warping is always a problem with it as the heat is absorbed into the material easier. Water cutting is a very accurate also but the waste water rules it out for most people. For the most part, plasma on a CNC machine will render a nice product if it is setup up right within the capabilities of the plasma cutter. Not trying to start a what is better argument, just my opinion.
Old Thu 30 July 2015, 22:15
BFreaky

somewhere
Antarctica
Well my prolem is I'm using thin and thick plates...so I'm trying to find the best solution...
It seems optimal to use both methods...but the costs are bigger
Old Fri 31 July 2015, 14:31
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Cut thin with plasma outsource oxy cutting and massive plates to others to go wild with forklifts storage cranes etc

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read