MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 18 January 2010, 10:23
cab. guy
Just call me: Ron

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Nils, I think you are on to something.Can you remember if the cuts were worse in the x-axis vs the y-axis?
Old Mon 18 January 2010, 10:35
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ron,

It will improve the cuts in any direction if you can remove the small straight lines that happen when you work with curves from some drawing packages.

Sorry, if I misunderstood but I also wanted to make it clear that I am no longer having a problem. I also fix the little lines on curves.
Old Mon 18 January 2010, 10:47
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Years ago I complained to Mach that their program couldn't maintain a constant speed from the end of one line segment to the beginning of the next, even if those two line segments are perfectly in one straight line. It is worse on curves. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1m.../message/57947
Old Mon 18 January 2010, 21:31
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Mr.Gerald D,If you would indulge me, I would be honored.If a machine in question fallows G-code output provided by design,cad and control software in a perfect world ,is it not doing exactly what It was designed to do? If however that machine deviates its commands or instructions, is it also reasonable to ask why?When I see Nils photo #1 , it appears to have
a type of chatter that was a result of a straight cut.In g-code that would be a straight line,to a machine ,should that command not be recognized as a simple movement from point A to point B without interruption.This is the part that is interesting-Who done it?
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 00:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ron,

That cut is the cause of the machine not working correctly.

If you take a curved line and look at it in a cad program that line will look like it is one single line going from point A to point B but taking a curved path. If you continue to zoom in on that line you might find that the curved line is not actually a single curved line but is actually made up of lots of small straight line segments. These small straight line segments are what will cause the cut to not be straight. That is why when you get your curved line into your cam software you have to smooth out the line. That smoothing process will remove most of the small straight lines and will give you a curved line.

Those small straight line segments are the problem.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 07:07
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
This makes perfect sense.
The files must be clean and tailored, this process can be heavy, if the file is from the outside or is designed by third parties.
With Corel Draw is very easy with its node reduction tool.
If I can, and find time, I will prepare a short tutorial to make that easy.

Tiene mucha lógica.
Los archivos hay que limpiarlos y adaptarlos, este proceso se puede hacer pesado, si el archivo proviene del exterior o está diseñado por terceras partes.
Con Corel Draw es muy fácil, con su herramienta de reducción de nodos.
Si puedo, y encuentro tiempo, prepararé una pequeña tutoría para hacerlo fácilmente.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 08:27
cab. guy

Boise,Id.
United States of America
Nils, I was referring to the diagonal cut in photo 1#. I missed Geralds post#3 in explanation.Ill try this on .75 mdf and aspire,but Geralds statement does sound reasonable.If I understand him correctly Mach3 has speed change issues between 2 competing axises.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 10:25
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils, how do you do the smoothing?
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 11:21
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Aspire and V-Carve Pro can also do SMOOTHING.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 12:18
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Heath,

I think most cam programs have smoothing functions that help with the process. I have also redrawn the lines using a cad program.
Old Wed 20 January 2010, 05:32
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
This is just another thing to show how accurate these machines are. They cut EXACTLY what they are told to cut. I have seen this in my other drawing programs for Plasma. Corel is notorious for making a arc that has dozens of points in them.

Basically the higher quality drawing programs can see these points as an arc and remove all those "Stop" points along the way making a true arc for the machine to cut.

Great find Nils on figuring that out.
Old Sat 23 January 2010, 08:22
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
This is a small, and simple tutorial on how to reduce nodes with Corel Draw. Mp4 and Zip

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read