MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 28 July 2009, 03:03
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I have change my mind. I am not going to explain the differance between 'padda' and 'parra'!
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 03:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Albei kan brul
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 03:10
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
stop it NOW !!
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 03:30
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Lol:d
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 04:56
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gedra vir julle!!
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 05:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Right guys, enough of the Afrikaans - our other guests also want to know what's going on here. (It was just some silly local humour that doesn't actually translate to English without looooong boring explanations)

Bell Equipment in its heyday was one of our country's biggest success stories.
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 01:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
We are off to Clanwilliam for an extended weekend away. Bye
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 05:15
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Excuse my ignorance and lack of traveling budget, but this seems like another very nice place to see !!!
I’m more & more impress with your country thanks to you & this forum. I must admit it opens my eyes & mind to a VERY wonderful place on earth !
Let’s hope & x-fingers when my MM comes alive ( soon, ) it will help me ( & me to make it happen) make some extra budget to visit this wonderful place, SA !
Merci and wishing you a nice R&R Gerald
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 08:56
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I agree Robert. We've really got the bug to visit SA. I read on the link that they make shoes there so my wife's definitely going to want to visit that town.
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 16:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Im in...but only if we go during the SA summer. It's really to cold for us Florida folks to go any where below 75F at any time!
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 21:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I think the Canadians would be more comforftable in the late SA winter or perhaps spring. Summer I think would be toooo hot.
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 07:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
It snowed up on the mountains the night before we got there - have got some pictures of it. (Pics later). The shoe factory is small and the styles are few, but they make top quality long-life shoes, and they make to fit your feet without charging extra.
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 09:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Some pictures:

P8130137.jpg

P8130141.jpg

P8130142.jpg

Clanwilliam Dam
P8130145.jpg

P8130147.jpg

P8130148.jpg

The waterfall at Nieuwoudtville (where I had to change a flat tyre). The fall is maybe about 100ft
P8130149.jpg

A colony of Cape Gannets on Bird Island at Lambert's Bay
P8130153.jpg

Fishing boats converted for sucking up diamonds. The concrete blocks are "dolosse", originating from South Africa and used worldwide.
P8130157.jpg

P8130159.jpg

A local farmer's meeting - common transport is the pick-up truck, or "bakkie"
P8130160.jpg

P8130161.jpg

P8140164.jpg

P8140165.jpg

P8140167.jpg

Doring Bay (Thorn Bay)
P8140168.jpg

P8140169.jpg

P8150172.jpg

One of the world's largest antelope, the "eland", about 1000 lbs and 5ft tall at the shoulder:
P8150187.jpg

Which non-South African knows the meaning of that discarded road sign?
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 13:15
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
YEP....I stand, it’s defiantly worth serious considering & effort to make it happen. I’ll save up a take a few to see this beauty....SA.
Many thanks for again sharing those nice trip photos Gerald.
Hope all went well and your pleased with this short R&R birthday trip
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 13:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
What is "R&R"?
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 16:08
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
rest and recuperation
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 20:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Rest and Relaxation
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 22:25
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
In Gerald's terms ..Re-Think and Re-Design..

I hope that row of bakkies was not parked in front of the local WATERING HOLE
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 22:29
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
I'd say that the discarded road sign was a warning that the good road ends here. Am I close?
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 23:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
John, close enough. It means that a bitumenised hard top meets with dirt or gravel road. (The sign was discarded because they were in the process of surfacing the road)
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 02:25
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hluhluwe

I took the wife and her mother out for Sunday lunch at the small town of Hluhluwe, about 30Km north from were I live.
They had to stop at Ilala Weavers!. Luckly I had no cash on me
The landscape is a lot different from the Western Cape were Gerald and Alan lives.
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 07:47
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Beautiful pics. Thanks.

Were you serious about the boats sucking up diamonds? Great shoes for sale and diamonds lying around in the water...I won't be able to get my wife back on the airplane to come home.
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 07:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Serious on the diamonds; link

But you need a licence to mine a concession area - it isn't a free-for-all.
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 07:20
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I've learned a lot about South African culture on this forum but y'all haven't talked about what kind of music y'all listen to. So I've got two questions. 1. If I hit the scan button on the radio dial in a South African car, what will I hear? 2. Additionally, what type of music do you South African members of this board listen to normally?
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 08:31
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Doef-doef!
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 08:59
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I understand that some of our radio stations can stream via dsl over the internet....

This is my favorite channel: http://www.kfm.co.za

Some other big stations:
www.radio2000.co.za
www.safm.co.za
www.highveld.co.za
www.5fm.co.za

Here is a big list:

Metro FM

Broadcast in English, Metro FM is the largest national commercial station in South Africa, targeting 25- to 34-year-old black urban adults - who its owner the SABC describes as "trendy, innovative, progressive and aspirational". While the station does have some information and educational aspects, the focus is firmly on contemporary international music - hip-hop, R&B, kwaito and more.

SAfm

SAfm is the SABC's English public broadcasting service, covering the news and canvassing the opinions of the country. It is almost 71 years-old, the same age of its 'owner'. It was first known as the "A Programme", becoming the English Service when the Afrikaans Service came into being a year later. In 1985 it changed its name again to Radio South Africa and, ten years later, to SAfm.

Radio Sonder Grense

The SABC's national Afrikaans cultural service, Radio Sonder Grense - meaning "radio without borders" - targets the white, coloured and Indian market, offering news, current affairs, sport, lifestyle, education and music - alles in een - sonder grense.

Lotus FM

Lotus FM is a metropolitan, music- and talk-focused Indian lifestyle station, reflecting the music, culture and lifestyle of the progressive South African Indian community. With the pay-off line "Not everything is black and white", the station emphasises both the South African and Indian identity of its listeners.

Jacaranda FM

One of the largest independent commercial stations and also broadcasting in Gauteng, Jacaranda offers a mix of more easy-listening adult contemporary music and news.

East Coast Radio

East Coast broadcasts a mix of music and news to Durban and throughout KwaZulu-Natal.

Yfm

Home of Kwaito and the "Y Generation", Y is the country's most popular youth station. Yfm has a self-imposed 50% local music quota - more than any other radio station in the country.

5FM

The SABC's trendy youth-oriented station, 5FM's emphasis is on the latest music, movies and South African youth trends. Broadcasting in English to South Africa's metropolitan areas, its music styles are international, and include a strong component of South African artists of world standard.

94.7 Highveld Stereo

Popular home of Jeremy Mansfield's Rude Awakening, Highveld Stereo broadcasts a mix of contemporary music throughout Gauteng.

Kaya FM

Kaya FM provides an African-focused adult contemporary and jazz format, with a mix of music and talk. One of the country's newest radio stations, Kaya broadcasts throughout Gauteng.

Good Hope FM

Cape Town's largest radio station, the SABC's Good Hope FM plays contemporary music ranging from R&B, ballads and pop through to hip hop, dance, jazz and old school.

Algoa FM

Algoa FM's music and news is broadcast to the entire Eastern Cape region.

702 Talk Radio

702 Talk Radio is Johannesburg's number-one current affairs and information station, offering news, sport, business and actuality programming - and lots of phone-in debate.

567 Cape Talk

567 Medium Wave Cape Talk is Cape Town's first ever talk radio station. Twinned with Johannesburg stalwart 702 Talk Radio, Cape Talk promises to bring you all the news, views, sport, weather, traffic and information you need.

Classic FM

Based on the UK station, Classic FM has been broadcasting classical music throughout Gauteng since September 1997. Through their partnership with Business Day, the station offers in-depth business coverage each week night from 6pm. There are also lifestyle features, news, financial updates, sport, and interviews with local artists and composers.

Kfm

For the "best hits and memories", Kfm broadcasts adult contemporary music in the Western Cape and as far afield as Alexander Bay and the Northern Cape.

OFM

An adult contemporary station broadcasting in the Free State.

Channel Africa

The international radio service of the SABC offers a multilingual source of information on Africa - with news, music and sports. Broadcasts are in Chinyanja, Silozi, Kiswahili, English, French and Portuguese, with shortwave broadcasts covering south, east, central and west Africa, satellite broadcasts covering the sub-Saharan region - and internet broadcasts covering the entire world.

Radio Pretoria

With the slogan Trots Afrikaans (proudly Afrikaans), Radio Pretoria broadcasts from Tshwane through 14 transmitters in towns in Gauteng, Limpopo, Free State, Mpumalanga, North West and KwaZulu-Natal.

Radio Tuks

Radio Tuks broadcasts from the University of the Pretoria campus, reaching most of the greater Tshwane area. The station targets an Afrikaans-speaking audience.

Campus Radio

The station is owned by the University of Johannesburg and run by students on a voluntary basis. Predominantly English, it includes Afrikaans and several vernacular languages, with new music taking up 60% of airtime, with the rest cutting-edge features.

Impact Radio

Impact Radio broadcasts from studios in Waterkloof Glen in Tshwane. Programming is Christian, with 20% talk and 80% music.

Radio Islam

Broadcasting from Lenasia, south of Johannesburg, Radio Islam aims to promote the religion of Islam, and to dispel myths about Islam and Muslims in South Africa and around the world.

Radio Kansel / Radio Pulpit

For the past 26 years Radio Pulpit has been broadcasting the gospel in both English and Afrikaans. The station broadcasts from studios in Pretoria on 657 MW, 24 hours per day and on the transmitters of Radio 2000 nationally between 4am and 11am.

90.6 FM Stereo

The station broadcasts from Vereeniging, targeting an audience aged 20 to 50 with multilingual programming made up of 20% talk and 80% music.

Bush Radio

Bush Radio broadcasts to the Cape Flats, targeting coloured listeners aged 18 to 39, and features music, community issues, news, interviews and drama - such as Can Themba's The Suit.

Fine Music Radio

The station broadcasts from Cape Town, targeting discerning listeners over 35 with a taste for fine art, jazz and classical music.

MFM 92.6

MFM broadcasts from Stellenbosch University to a largely student audience, and features music and talk.

Radio UCT

UCT Radio broadcasts from the University of Cape Town to students and young professionals, offering the latest music, artists, lifestyles, news, sport and clubbing information.

Bay FM

Bay FM was born out of Radio Uppie at the University of Port Elizabeth. Now independent of the university and run by members of the community, the station's programming reflects its young target market and goes out in a mix of English and Xhosa, with 60% music and 40% talk.
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 09:55
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Thanks for the info Gerald. I was able to listen to your favorite station and listened to Highveld radio for a while too. It was cool to sit in my chair and listen to South African radio. Other than DJs with a slightly different accent, the broadcast sounded just like the stations here. Oh yeah, and I got to hear Afrikaans for the first time. It sounds like a cross between German and Dutch which makes sense. Very pleasing to the ear.

I looked at the recent play list for your station and I think you are more hip than me. I only recognized about half the group names.
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 10:21
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The crazy thing is that none of us locals can listen to our radio stations over the internet - it is too expensive because have a limit to our bandwidth and cannot waste it on audio.

Those lists of stations largely exclude the black african-speaking stations which have the highest amount of listeners. This is a big one: http://www.uwfm.co.za
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 10:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
This is our "national" broadcaster, paid by taxes: http://www.sabc.co.za/portal/site/me...fa121a24daeb9/
Old Tue 15 September 2009, 12:07
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
This is a local community radio station serving the Helderberg Basin and over the mountain into Grabouw. Radio Helderberg Music type is varied ranging from Afrikaans contemporary to "Boere Musiek" to gospel to old time tunes (Glen Miller, Vera Lynn etc). Tune in on saterdays at 5pm (local time) to hear what Boere musiek sounds like Doug, you might enjoy it.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read