MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 04 July 2011, 14:46
giggler
Just call me: giggler

na
United Kingdom
Gear set screws and loctite?

hi

i've been thinking about using loctite or something on the set screws to the x motor as the load is high and the last thing i want is them to come free during some fine stepping motion.

Is this what most of you are doing?

thanks

dc
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 14:56
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
I would use two screws. First one, shorter length so that there is treads left for second one, set tight to motor shaft. Second one, screw on top of first one to keep from backing out.
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 15:11
giggler
Just call me: giggler

na
United Kingdom
hi.

the boss on the gear leaves me with a threaded length for the grub screw of only 6mm. I maybe able to get 3mm long grub screws but would have to look, it's kind of short and think they need atleast 3flutes of the thread so not sure if i can do that.

dc
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 15:22
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
This would be a problem. Loctite is not recommended. If you search this forum for 'grub screw' you should find solutions for your problem.
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 19:24
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I would use longer grub screw, maybe 5mm long. more metal to ensure it bites hard.
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 20:18
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I think its a matter of what color or type of loctite you are talking about. Red 271 no freaking way. Maybe Green 290 if I was really getting tired of the screws backing off but I do use Blue 242 with no problems. It does require a little more umph to get the screws out so I recommend a new or freshened up allen wrench.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read