MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 02 February 2011, 12:49
sawcnc
Just call me: Saw

New York
United States of America
MM Budget and Parts

I am new to the CNC world and I am trying to convince a local art center to let me build one in their facility. Is there a parts list and estimated price for building a MechMate CNC? How long does it take? Can it cut aluminum?

I am located in upstate New York, and I would like to build one that has a cutting area of 4'x8'.

Thank for your help.
Old Wed 02 February 2011, 13:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Parts list is mostly in the plans and forum.
Yes it can do aluminum, if built with specific reductions and/or geared motors, light alum sheet is suggested, billet is not - but has been done.
On average, the cost to build is ranged from 4500 to 8000 pending motor, spindle and electronics choices.

Average build time is about 6-12 weeks part time. A full time commitment could allow for the machine to be done in about 3 weeks. One very zealous builder completed the project in 2 weeks last year.

Welcome to the forum.

Sean
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 08:38
sawcnc

New York
United States of America
Sean,
Thanks for the info. One reason I need a parts list is to provide the board of directors with something more tangible then a price range. A one month build is good as this will be done on a full time basis. I hope I can get a budget together soon. They are allocating their funds for the season and I am not in it.
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 10:02
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome!
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 17:29
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Some of the builders list their steel orders in their personal builds. You might find one that fits. Actually I think there was one posted within the last month.

Then you need motors, interfaces (BOB and Geckos), power supply, computer, miscellaneous wiring and a pile of nuts and bolts (again you will probably find a list in the personal builds with diligent searching).
You'll also need tools and consumables (welding rods, cutting and grinding disks).

I'm sure you can quickly assemble a budget proposal that will fly, as long as you have a reasonably sized "other" category.

BUT before you build you need to devise you own parts list, otherwise you won't fully understand how it goes together (and so where the "borrowed" list might be incorrect for your needs). Also, you need to be pretty on top of your project plan to get it done quickly.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 10:19
sawcnc

New York
United States of America
Red,

I understand that my parts list and budget will be different but I need a place to start. I have never built a CNC machine.

I have access to all the tools and the art center has lots of steel lying around.

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back as things develop.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:43
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I think we may be able to help here if we come up with a list of major table areas like:

1. Plans
2. Laser Cut Parts
3. Electronics (Probably the most expensive part of the build)
4. Base Table Steel
5. Router or Spindle
6. Tools - Welder, Grinder etc.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:49
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Here is a list of the things I have available.

Qty Item ID Description Unit Price Amount
1 BLPK Laser Parts Kit 450.00
1 IB15 Idler Bearing 15.00
1 MPIB Machined Parts 100.00
1 SB4 3 Stop Blocks 40.00
1 DP01 Drive Plates 125.00
1 BC01 Basic Control Box 440.12
1 RB01 Remote Panels Start, Stop, E-stop 135.00
1 MPS01 Motors and Power Supplies 595.00
1 GBD501 PMDX-133(2),126(1),107(1),HDR26RIBBON(2),DB25MtoM(1),Ge cko 203v(5) 1,129.00 (This is a high end setup that has newer items for spindle and indexer control)
1 JZ04 120 ft 4 core wire 118.19
1 JZ08 50ft 8 core wire 78.50

This is a pretty large list of parts and is by no means a complete machine. But it has many of the things needed for the build. You will also need steel for the base table and the guide rails.

I have nuts and bolts if I can just get the time to bag them all up and get them priced.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:52
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Software - don't forget that.

I would say Mach3 and Vetric Aspire if your working to get a complete budget.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 18:17
sawcnc

New York
United States of America
Metal Head,

Thanks! That should give me a pretty good start.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 19:30
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Be aware you will total out somewhere between 5 and 7 k typically. Mach and Vetrics will add another 2200. I would go long and request $12,000.00 maybe $9,000.00 this will also help you get that needed vac system to suck out the saw dust !!!
Old Wed 09 February 2011, 23:36
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Don't forget dust extraction! See Bill's Website

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read